STR / airbnb property spreadsheet

STR / airbnb property spreadsheet

Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 10 votes

Hello-

Does anyone have a deal analysis spreadsheet for potential STR/vacation rentals that they would be willing to share? I began to create one but figured I need not recreate the wheel if someone else has already done it better!

Many thanks!

Chris

8Reply
449 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2016 · 893 posts · 1k+ votes
9y

@Christopher Benjamin  Here is a simplified version of my more elaborate yearly cash flow model you can start with. Haven't ever shared it publicly but hey, why not, maybe you or the community will find a way to improve upon it or provide some feedback.  Tax rates are very high level, so you will want to adjust that as you pick a more specific location to model out.  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xwnw30cmjx32is1/Vacation...

Cheers!

~Jon

See this reply in the discussion

50 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    @Melissa Nash I know this is an older thread, but I’m just getting started and would be interested in the form you are using to analyze. Thanks,  Mike

  • Architect · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2021 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Melissa Nash @Michael Paolozzi same here. can you please share this with a link?

    Michael, sounds like we’re at the same benchmark / would be great to chat and share resources. Looking to develop in SoCal. 

  • Zach LemasterBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    @Christopher Benjamin

    We added one to the BP files a while ago you should be able to find and also have a good analysis tool on our page.

  • Rental Property Investor · Neptune City, NJ · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 9 votes
    4y

    https://docs.google.com/spread...

    Hi - I know this is an old thread, but I'm happy to share the ss I created specifically tailored towards Airbnb's and monthly rentals. Allows you to tinker with occupancy, daily rates, various expenses, and loan assumptions. Since many STR's are seasonal, this is a monthly annual pro forma to analyze yearly NI. Everything you can change is in blue for ease. Anyone can feel free to reach out with any questions! Good luck!

  • Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 4 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Nikki Senopoulos:

    https://docs.google.com/spread...

    Hi - I know this is an old thread, but I'm happy to share the ss I created specifically tailored towards Airbnb's and monthly rentals. Allows you to tinker with occupancy, daily rates, various expenses, and loan assumptions. Since many STR's are seasonal, this is a monthly annual pro forma to analyze yearly NI. Everything you can change is in blue for ease. Anyone can feel free to reach out with any questions! Good luck!

    Thank you Nikki. I've started building a spreadsheet for myself and wanted a few examples for Ideas. This will help a lot and it is well done.  

  • Member since 2022 · 1 post · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Nikki Senopoulos:

    https://docs.google.com/spread...

    Hi - I know this is an old thread, but I'm happy to share the ss I created specifically tailored towards Airbnb's and monthly rentals. Allows you to tinker with occupancy, daily rates, various expenses, and loan assumptions. Since many STR's are seasonal, this is a monthly annual pro forma to analyze yearly NI. Everything you can change is in blue for ease. Anyone can feel free to reach out with any questions! Good luck!


    Nikki I'm new to STR investing but not to spreadsheets and I must say yours is VERY well done and far above the others I've collected in the last few weeks. Thank you very much!

  • Orange, CA · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    This is awesome thanks @Jon Crosby

  • Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2016 · 893 posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Thanks @Rajan Udeshi, I hope it helps you out! 

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    @Melissa Nash Is this something you'd still be willing to share?  I am slowly looking to get into this. Thanks in advance.

  • Real Estate Agent · Pompano Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Nikki Senopoulos:

    https://docs.google.com/spread...

    Hi - I know this is an old thread, but I'm happy to share the ss I created specifically tailored towards Airbnb's and monthly rentals. Allows you to tinker with occupancy, daily rates, various expenses, and loan assumptions. Since many STR's are seasonal, this is a monthly annual pro forma to analyze yearly NI. Everything you can change is in blue for ease. Anyone can feel free to reach out with any questions! Good luck!

    This is MAGNIFICENT! How would I modify it for a 15 unit property?

  • Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    4y
    Quote from @Nikki Senopoulos:

    https://docs.google.com/spread...

    Hi - I know this is an old thread, but I'm happy to share the ss I created specifically tailored towards Airbnb's and monthly rentals. Allows you to tinker with occupancy, daily rates, various expenses, and loan assumptions. Since many STR's are seasonal, this is a monthly annual pro forma to analyze yearly NI. Everything you can change is in blue for ease. Anyone can feel free to reach out with any questions! Good luck!


     Nikki, hi. Would you mind sending me a copy of your calculator? I really like it. Thanks

  • Rental Property Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2016 · 740 posts · 529 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Michael Paolozzi:

    @Melissa Nash Is this something you'd still be willing to share?  I am slowly looking to get into this. Thanks in advance.


     yes,  please message me :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Neptune City, NJ · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 9 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Nathaniel Crawford:
    Quote from @Nikki Senopoulos:

    https://docs.google.com/spread...

    Hi - I know this is an old thread, but I'm happy to share the ss I created specifically tailored towards Airbnb's and monthly rentals. Allows you to tinker with occupancy, daily rates, various expenses, and loan assumptions. Since many STR's are seasonal, this is a monthly annual pro forma to analyze yearly NI. Everything you can change is in blue for ease. Anyone can feel free to reach out with any questions! Good luck!

    This is MAGNIFICENT! How would I modify it for a 15 unit property?


     The easiest way would be to plug in the total estimated revenue and expenses for all 15 properties. You could also create an individual spreadsheet for all 15 properties and have them all flow into a combined master sheet. I attached an example of the latter using 2 properties that flow into a combined pro forma.

    https://docs.google.com/spread...

  • Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Michael Greenberg:

    @Christopher Benjamin I have a cash-on-cash calculator for VR's created by a good friend of mine I can send to you via PM if you want to send me a message.  I also have a tracking sheet for my VR's I can send you as well if you're interested.

    @Jon Crosby this is a great, simple tool.

    Mike

    @Michael Greenberg I'm new to this forum. Would love any tools you have like the cash-on-cash calculator and tracking sheet you mentioned. Thank you so much!  Thanks!

  • Katie MillerPro Member
    General Manager, Publishing at BiggerPockets · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 459 posts · 642 votes
    4y

    @Jon Crosby This is really great! I'm glad you made this available to our users. Did you upload to the fireplace? You can get a lot of eyeballs on it there.

    Jon, have you seen Avery Carl's calculator? Check it out here—https://theshorttermshop.com/c...

  • Rental Property Investor · Vaughan, ON · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 10 votes
    4y

    @Michael Greenberg I will appreciate if you can send this to me as well.

  • Member since 2022 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nikki Senopoulos:

    https://docs.google.com/spread...

    Hi - I know this is an old thread, but I'm happy to share the ss I created specifically tailored towards Airbnb's and monthly rentals. Allows you to tinker with occupancy, daily rates, various expenses, and loan assumptions. Since many STR's are seasonal, this is a monthly annual pro forma to analyze yearly NI. Everything you can change is in blue for ease. Anyone can feel free to reach out with any questions! Good luck!

    @Nikki Senopoulos, Is it possible to get a copy of your spreadsheet? When I download it from your link above, it times out when I edit it. Assuming you need to grant me permissions

  • Real Estate Broker · Winston Salem, NC · Member since 2008 · 16 posts · 7 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jon Crosby:

    @Christopher Benjamin  Here is a simplified version of my more elaborate yearly cash flow model you can start with. Haven't ever shared it publicly but hey, why not, maybe you or the community will find a way to improve upon it or provide some feedback.  Tax rates are very high level, so you will want to adjust that as you pick a more specific location to model out.  

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xwnw30cmjx32is1/Vacation...

    Cheers!

    ~Jon

    Thanks @Jon Crosby!  Great spreadsheet.

  • Sneads Ferry, NC · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 10 votes
    3y

    @Jon Crosby Thanks for sharing your STR calculator! I did notice though, there is nowhere to account for furnishing the property. How do you account for that in you calculator?

  • Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2016 · 893 posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Christopher Biediger:

    @Jon Crosby Thanks for sharing your STR calculator! I did notice though, there is nowhere to account for furnishing the property. How do you account for that in you calculator?


     I usually just put it into the 'construction/reserve costs' field.  Because it's a 'cash-flow' calculator it mostly focuses on Op Ex versus Cap Ex however.  

  • Sneads Ferry, NC · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 10 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jon Crosby:
    Quote from @Christopher Biediger:

    @Jon Crosby Thanks for sharing your STR calculator! I did notice though, there is nowhere to account for furnishing the property. How do you account for that in you calculator?


     I usually just put it into the 'construction/reserve costs' field.  Because it's a 'cash-flow' calculator it mostly focuses on Op Ex versus Cap Ex however.  

    Got it, thanks so much!
  • Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael Greenberg:

    @Christopher Benjamin I have a cash-on-cash calculator for VR's created by a good friend of mine I can send to you via PM if you want to send me a message.  I also have a tracking sheet for my VR's I can send you as well if you're interested.

    @Jon Crosby this is a great, simple tool.

    Mike

    @Michael Greenberg could i get both of these please? i know this is very old forum, but just came across it now.

  • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Alice K.:

    @Jon Crosby - Thank you for this! Love how this spreadsheet includes snow removal. In 2016 I was pretty much negative cash flow due to snow removal on the roof and water for the lawn. 

    @Leigh Ann Smith - It's great your husband can do it. I was thinking of hitting up the kids in  the cul-de-sac for a hand with things as I have no concept with lawn care. 




    May I have the VR calculator and spreadsheet framework please. 

    [email protected] 

    thank you
  • Real Estate Agent · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2020 · 490 posts · 205 votes
    2y

    I have an excel sheet I have used for years to analyze VR. happy to share as well.Shoot me a PM

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.