STR / airbnb property spreadsheet

STR / airbnb property spreadsheet

Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 10 votes

Hello-

Does anyone have a deal analysis spreadsheet for potential STR/vacation rentals that they would be willing to share? I began to create one but figured I need not recreate the wheel if someone else has already done it better!

Many thanks!

Chris

8Reply
414 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2016 · 893 posts · 1k+ votes
9y

@Christopher Benjamin  Here is a simplified version of my more elaborate yearly cash flow model you can start with. Haven't ever shared it publicly but hey, why not, maybe you or the community will find a way to improve upon it or provide some feedback.  Tax rates are very high level, so you will want to adjust that as you pick a more specific location to model out.  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xwnw30cmjx32is1/Vacation...

Cheers!

~Jon

See this reply in the discussion

50 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    9y

    Check the file download section. There may be one there.

  • Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2016 · 893 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Christopher Benjamin  Here is a simplified version of my more elaborate yearly cash flow model you can start with. Haven't ever shared it publicly but hey, why not, maybe you or the community will find a way to improve upon it or provide some feedback.  Tax rates are very high level, so you will want to adjust that as you pick a more specific location to model out.  

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xwnw30cmjx32is1/Vacation...

    Cheers!

    ~Jon

  • Manvel, TX · Member since 2014 · 309 posts · 127 votes
    9y

    @Christopher Benjamin, I'll share mine, but it's pretty rough.  I modified it from one of the ones I got here on BP.  There's lots of #NUM and #REFs.  Those fields would be relevant if you were taking out a loan on the property.  We did not take a loan.  I left the fields in for you, but check the formulas out for any of those fields with errors in them.  I'll upload it to BP and reply here with the file name.

    One note....we WAY underestimated lawn care.  Basically, I forgot to include it.  The reason I have $20/month in there now is that my husband is doing most of it, and occasionally we hire someone to trim.  We had planned to have a lawn care service doing that, but until we can get the rental income up a bit more, it would be a cash flow killer.

  • Manvel, TX · Member since 2014 · 309 posts · 127 votes
    9y

    Okay, it's in the files under my name, and the title is Vacation Property Rental Calculator.

  • Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    Thank you @Jon Crosby and @Leigh Ann Smith! I haven't had a chance yet to go through them but will certainly follow up with you (including sharing any updated/modified version back with you). Thanks again!

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 533 posts · 433 votes
    9y

    @Christopher Benjamin I have a cash-on-cash calculator for VR's created by a good friend of mine I can send to you via PM if you want to send me a message.  I also have a tracking sheet for my VR's I can send you as well if you're interested.

    @Jon Crosby this is a great, simple tool.

    Mike

  • Investor · Norman, OK · Member since 2017 · 101 posts · 34 votes
    9y

    @Michael Greenberg Could I talk you into sending me the VR calculator and tracking sheet you are using as well?  Thanks so much!

  • Property Manager · Aurora, CO · Member since 2014 · 221 posts · 210 votes
    9y

    @Michael Greenberg, if you don't mind sharing your cash-on-cash calculator and tracking sheet to me as well, I'd appreciate it! Thanks so much....

  • Clearwater, FL · Member since 2014 · 28 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    @Michael Greenberg I would love your information also!  Thank you!!!

  • Washington, Washington D.C. · Member since 2011 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    @Michael Greenberg I'd love the information also! Looking to start my airbnb this month. Thank you! :)

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 533 posts · 433 votes
    9y

    @Nana Nyarko Can you send me a private message.  Can send attachments on the BP dashboard.

    Thanks,

    Mike

  • Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Did you find what you are looking for? If not I have one that helped me figure out an estimated return as well as analyze the local market and how I figured out an estimated vacancy rate. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    9y

    @Michael Greenberg I sent you a private message

  • Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 306 posts · 211 votes
    8y

    @Jon Crosby - Thank you for this! Love how this spreadsheet includes snow removal. In 2016 I was pretty much negative cash flow due to snow removal on the roof and water for the lawn. 

    @Leigh Ann Smith - It's great your husband can do it. I was thinking of hitting up the kids in  the cul-de-sac for a hand with things as I have no concept with lawn care. 

  • Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2016 · 76 posts · 29 votes
    8y

    This isn't a "deal calculator" per say, but this is my personal rule of thumb that I look for. 

    I want to gross at least 20% of the purchase price, and I want to profit at least half of that. 

  • Specialist · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    Looks great, @Jon Crosby! This is a great tool to use in deciding whether to move forward with a 5 or 10 year waterfall analysis! I like to incorporate FF&E as a future investment (if construction carries over into the next year) and use MIRR instead of IRR. Don't forget Capex deductions come after NOI to create BTCF. Though I don't think NOI in residential has any practical use in valuations or towards other financial instrument applications, it definitely is helpful to analyze synergies forecast in OPEX when you get multiple properties.

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    8y
    @Christopher Benjamin I do my analysis in my head because I have my market memorized and have either been to the property or can tell where it is and what it’ll rent for by looking at one picture. I have spreadsheets for month to month bookkeeping if you want those just PM me
  • Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    @lucas 

    @Luke Carl can you PM which markets are hot and how much will daily rate will be if i shoot you some pics. I trying to get that elusive 20% ROI.

  • Avery CarlBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · USA · Member since 2016 · 909 posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I recently created this one to calculate cap rate and cash on cash return for STRs:

    http://theshorttermshop.com/cash-flow-calculator/

  • Real Estate Consultant · Rochester, MI · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Avery Carl - This looks great! Is there a modified version for STR arbitrage, or a way to use this one for arbitrage? Looking for a simple one but not sure where the downloads are or where some of the calculators/spreadsheets mentioned above are located? Please, some help!

    BTW - I'm looking to acquire 5-10 STRs in the Royal Oak/Birmingham area north of Detroit. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jason Sousa:

    Avery Carl - This looks great! Is there a modified version for STR arbitrage, or a way to use this one for arbitrage? Looking for a simple one but not sure where the downloads are or where some of the calculators/spreadsheets mentioned above are located? Please, some help!

    BTW - I'm looking to acquire 5-10 STRs in the Royal Oak/Birmingham area north of Detroit. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

    Just manipulate the mortgage until it reflects your monthly payment. Or take the mortgage out completely and add your rent payment in under the taxes or some other expense category.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Medway, MA · Member since 2020 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    @Michael Greenberg would you mind sharing your VR spreadsheets? 

  • Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    I am looking for a fillable rate sheets to enter owners rates for them to approve?

  • Rental Property Investor · The USA · Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    Looking to get involved, where do I start?

  • Rental Property Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2016 · 740 posts · 529 votes
    5y

    I have a good one that I have been using that has been tweaked a few times now. I own mine so they include mortgage and then projections w/ appreciation. Message me if looking still. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.