Leaving Evolve Vacation Rental

Leaving Evolve Vacation Rental

Rental Property Investor · Decatur, GA · Member since 2018 · 42 posts · 31 votes

Several people using Evolve Vacation Rental had concerns about how difficult it would be to leave Evolve.  I just made that transition and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was.

  • I can keep all my current bookings with Evolve.
  • I was able to transfer my reviews back to my VRBO listing.
  • For $250, I can keep my photographs and listing description.

I am now back on my own and the transition was fairly quick (it took a few days) and simple. I contacted them via email and informed them of my desire to terminate my contract and be the initial point of contact with my guests once again. They were understanding and only made minimal attempts to try and persuade me to stay.

If you've been considering making this transition but thought it would be difficult, hopefully, this will be useful in your decision-making process.

12Reply
389 views

Most Popular Reply

Bethlehem, PA · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 8 votes
7y

I almost went with evolve and I'm so happy that I did not. Their prices are too low in my market among other reasons.

See this reply in the discussion

37 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2018 · 77 posts · 44 votes
    7y

    Thanks for sharing Lynette.  I plan to self manage, but it's good knowing a middle tier management option between self managed and full property management - without a huge PITA factor :)

  • Fairfax, Virginia (VA) · Member since 2017 · 47 posts · 47 votes
    7y

    Why did you leave Evolve? Do you have an Airbnb listing? 

  • Bethlehem, PA · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    I almost went with evolve and I'm so happy that I did not. Their prices are too low in my market among other reasons.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Lynette guy I have been trying to contact Evolve as we are renting a place through them for Christmas as tenants (not hosts/owners) and they have not responded any of our communications via air BnB platform. What's the best way to get through? We are somewhat upset at this point for their lack of responsiveness and communication. Ty

  • Rental Property Investor · Decatur, GA · Member since 2018 · 42 posts · 31 votes
    7y

    @Daniel Kauffman for one, I didn't like the lack of control over my own rental and it took the personal aspect away.  I enjoy hosting and like to be the first point of contact with my guests.  Evolve is not personable.  I've rented a listing through them before and it adds another party to go through that is completely unnecessary.  I like to charge more when there are extra guests, but Evolve won't allow you to do that.  

    They also won't allow you to list on other sites if you are listed with them.  I didn't get any more reservations with Evolve and I was driving a lot of traffic there myself via the Nextdoor App, Facebook groups, etc.  

    I am listed on both Airbnb and VRBO and I'm working on a website through Lodgify.

  • Rental Property Investor · Decatur, GA · Member since 2018 · 42 posts · 31 votes
    7y

    @Maribel Aviles sorry I'm just now seeing this and I'm sure you've already gotten in touch with Evolve by now.  I tried to include their phone here but it isn't allowed.  You should have received the contact information for your host as well when you initially made your reservation.  Please contact your host.  It's their property and they will be able to answer any specific questions you have much better than someone from Evolve that has never set foot in the property.

  • Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Lynette Guy:

    @Daniel Kauffman for one, I didn't like the lack of control over my own rental and it took the personal aspect away.  I enjoy hosting and like to be the first point of contact with my guests.  Evolve is not personable.  I've rented a listing through them before and it adds another party to go through that is completely unnecessary.  I like to charge more when there are extra guests, but Evolve won't allow you to do that.  

    They also won't allow you to list on other sites if you are listed with them.  I didn't get any more reservations with Evolve and I was driving a lot of traffic there myself via the Nextdoor App, Facebook groups, etc.  

    I am listed on both Airbnb and VRBO and I'm working on a website through Lodgify.

     How do you use NextDoor as a marketing platform?  It hasn't occurred to me to use them, and it's not readily apparent to me what the best way to do it is - would love your input!

  • Real Estate Broker · East TN Loudon/Lenoir City/Tellico Village · Member since 2014 · 363 posts · 222 votes
    7y
    @Julie McCoy Nextdoor would definitely work in LA and Orange County. I had a commercial property I managed and a friend had a Disney/Anaheim property she booked through Nextdoor ads. People are always searching local. Now in TN Nextdoor doesnt have a following yet. Sadly.
  • Rental Property Investor · Decatur, GA · Member since 2018 · 42 posts · 31 votes
    7y

    @ Julie McCoy I just post some pictures and a short description along with the listing for VRBO where they see the entire description and amenities. I've gotten several reservations via the Nextdoor app. My cabin is in North Georgia, about 2 hours from where I live and it's a popular destination.

  • Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Lynette Guy Are you posting it like a regular post in your local forum, or are you running ads that reach different markets?

  • Rental Property Investor · Decatur, GA · Member since 2018 · 42 posts · 31 votes
    7y

    @Julie McCoy just a regular post.

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Thank you for this post! I am co differing buying a VR to get into a school district for my son and it’s a good deal so I am comfortable. I was looking into evolve and wondering how the can do everything for only 10%?! My question is, can anyone recommend another site that’s reasonable and allows you to manage more, but also easily advertise to multiple sites? 

  • Robert CliffordPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    @Lynette Guy Thanks for then next door tip. I have one in the area and didn’t want to make a thing about it.  We have a few others, and this is a good free way to market.

  • Clermont, FL · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Lynnett, how do you transfer your reviews from evolve to your own listing on Homeway/VRBO???

  • Rental Property Investor · Decatur, GA · Member since 2018 · 42 posts · 31 votes
    7y

    @Danny Dang once your Evolve account is unlisted, call VRBO and they can transfer your reviews.

  • Rental Property Investor · Decatur, GA · Member since 2018 · 42 posts · 31 votes
    7y

    @Daniel Kauffman I am listed on both Airbnb and VRBO.  I felt like the personal touch was missing.  The traveler has to call Evolve and go through a third party.  I would rather be the first point of contact with my guest.  I would also rather have more control over my listing.  Evolve won't allow you to charge an extra fee for extra guests.  I can now change my prices whenever I want to and sometimes a traveler has unique situations that I'm able to accommodate when I'm that initial contact. 

  • Property Manager · Eclectic, AL · Member since 2017 · 38 posts · 18 votes
    7y

    @Lynette Guy

    I started as a turnover cleaner for vacation rentals locally. I actually had a client approach me to handle his listing and guests, for a fee. And after considering for a while accepted.

    It has turned into a business for me. I actually allow my owners to have as much interaction with guests as they want. So I am able to provide guest services locally, as well as cleaning and concierge, while the owners still get to be involved but don’t have to do the hard work of driving from all over creation to come meet a plumber, electrician, put a faucet cover on for freezing temps, etc.

    it works well since we are like a partnership. They simply get an invoice at the end of the month. I still do just turnover cleans for some clients. Even through evolve. Their big seling point is all of the exposure but what I’ve found is all the exposure in the world won’t help keep you rental booked without guest service being excellent.

  • Rental Property Investor · Kailua Kona, HI · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    I am at the same point, wanting to self manage and leave Evolve. My rentals have dropped almost 40% since going with them. My guests love my rentals but hate getting additional fee charges when they are finding my properties on VRBO or airbnb.

    I couldn't find all of my properties they say they are "managing"...that you for reassuring me that leaving them is easy!

  • Hatfield, PA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 629 votes
    6y

    among other things, they dont used booking.com, which brings me more good bookings than Airbnb

  • Real Estate Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Great conversation, thank you all for your tips!  

    Airbnb basically owns the bookings in my area, no other channels drive legitimate traffic. However, given our current state I'm preparing to set-up my own website and/or post on various channels that don't appear to offer the host insurance and I know asking the Guest for security deposit or to run background checks can be a deterrent for short stays. My preference is to house weekly stays or up to 3 months as my area doesn't have a huge demand for vacation travel it mostly attracts (or attracted) work travel.

    @Ken Latchers and/or anyone that can chime in, if you're booking outside of VRBO or Airbnb like Booking.com or other, how are you all protecting your property from damages? Travel/Damage Insurance and such? 

    I saw a post on a short term rental group that Airbnb, for example, offered the host $100 for $1,500 of damage by the guest. Despite the host providing contractor receipts and pictures of the damage. So it's looking like the coverage Airbnb offers is being modified. 

    I understand that hosting in itself requires the risk of damages, would just like to know what added protection channels you guys are using. Thanks!

  • Hatfield, PA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 629 votes
    6y

    I never had any significant damage. Is very rare when that happens. That is why you have short term rental insurance. You should be looking at Airbnb and VRBO and booking.com and possibly FlipKey to bring you people, not to be your insurance company

  • Investor · Castaic, CA · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 16 votes
    6y

    Hello,

    I wonder how you all are doing if your rental is managed by Airbnb, VRBO, Booking.com, etc. during Covid.  How is everyone handling reservations that get cancelled or local ordinances temporarily placing restrictions?  Thanks for your input!

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    5y
    @Lynette Guy
    I am thinking of moving on from Evolve (after 6 months of trial). Thanks for posting about this. 

    How was your experience with Lodgify? Are you still using them? 

    Originally posted by @Lynette Guy:

    @Daniel Kauffman for one, I didn't like the lack of control over my own rental and it took the personal aspect away.  I enjoy hosting and like to be the first point of contact with my guests.  Evolve is not personable.  I've rented a listing through them before and it adds another party to go through that is completely unnecessary.  I like to charge more when there are extra guests, but Evolve won't allow you to do that.  

    They also won't allow you to list on other sites if you are listed with them.  I didn't get any more reservations with Evolve and I was driving a lot of traffic there myself via the Nextdoor App, Facebook groups, etc.  

    I am listed on both Airbnb and VRBO and I'm working on a website through Lodgify.

  • Rental Property Investor · Decatur, GA · Member since 2018 · 42 posts · 31 votes
    5y

    @Matt Hotze I really didn't get that into Lodgify.  I am currently having a website built that will sync with Airbnb and VRBO, but my focus will be getting more direct bookings.

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    @Lynette Guy Thank you for your quick reply. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.