Netflix show on STRs

Netflix show on STRs

Specialist · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2016 · 355 posts · 191 votes
Has anyone been watching Stay Here on Netflix? It’s the typical house flipping show, only with short term rentals that people are starting up or having troubles with. Some pretty good ideas! I watched all the episodes and really enjoyed it.
2Reply
47 views

Most Popular Reply

Avery CarlBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · USA · Member since 2016 · 909 posts · 1k+ votes
7y

I checked out a few episodes. I like the idea but they make the STR idea more of a vanity project than about ROI...which actually just triggered my anxiety because I kept wanting to yell "IS THE INCREASE IN RENT PRICE GOING TO BE PROPORTIONAL TO THE COST OF THAT BATHROOM UPGRADE?! WHY ARE THEY NOT ASKING THESE QUESTIONS?!" Overall fairly entertaining though!

See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bryce LitwinPro Member
    Danville, PA · Member since 2015 · 58 posts · 58 votes
    7y

    No, but I just added it to my watchlist!

    Bryce

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2017 · 92 posts · 80 votes
    7y

    Hadn't heard of it before, but its now on our watch list, too!

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y
    @Sarah Lorenz How can a show about STRs which are 100% review driven only have 3.5/5 stars LOL! It’s like watching HGTV and thinking every house has gorgeous hardwoods under the smelly carpet. It’s good for someone who’s clueless but you’re better off just calling me because I’m FREE and I have 1000+ 5 star reviews.
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7y

    Interesting, I will check it out. 

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 533 posts · 433 votes
    7y

    Added to my list - thanks!

  • Real Estate Investor · Summerfield, NC · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 55 votes
    7y

    I enjoyed this show too but my only gripe is they never report back on the ROI of the flip. The property owner (or show) is putting all this money in to rehab the property and increase rates and occupancy but never provides updates on if it was successful or not. BIG oversight and makes me question the integrity of the show overall.

  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Andrea Cole But it adds suspense and captures the imagination!.. The numbers are never detailed on the HGTV shows, it drives me crazy. 

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    @Sarah Lorenz I haven't watched it, but will check it out. Sometimes they're fun to watch just for the ideas. Thanks.
  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    @Lucas Carl geez what a buzz kill.
  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y
    @Jaron Walling That would help, though markets are so varied.
  • Property Manager · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2012 · 23 posts · 8 votes
    7y
    @Sarah Lorenz I really liked the show. I hadn’t looked into short term rentals before and it was a very basic overview of the market which made it a stand out show for me. Hope they make more seasons.
  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 301 posts · 354 votes
    7y
    @Sarah Lorenz no but that’s for sharing, I’ll add it to my list.
  • Real Estate Agent · Westboro, MA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 471 votes
    7y

    @Sarah Lorenz

    I saw some episodes, entertaining for sure! 

  • Westminster, CO · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 7 votes
    7y
    @Andrea Cole I’ve really enjoyed the show as well, but I agree. It’s purpose is to inspire and build the popular idea of STRs while leaving out a lot of the financial realities. They do a nice breakdown of local statistics on amount of STRs and general profit, but they never detail what the owners are spending on their remodels. These remodels are also not surface level. Depending on the house/show these remodels were probably $15k-$90k. That really eats into profit for multiple years. It’s a fun show though.
  • Avery CarlBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · USA · Member since 2016 · 909 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    I checked out a few episodes. I like the idea but they make the STR idea more of a vanity project than about ROI...which actually just triggered my anxiety because I kept wanting to yell "IS THE INCREASE IN RENT PRICE GOING TO BE PROPORTIONAL TO THE COST OF THAT BATHROOM UPGRADE?! WHY ARE THEY NOT ASKING THESE QUESTIONS?!" Overall fairly entertaining though!

  • Real Estate Agent · Sevierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Avery Carl:

    I checked out a few episodes. I like the idea but they make the STR idea more of a vanity project than about ROI...which actually just triggered my anxiety because I kept wanting to yell "IS THE INCREASE IN RENT PRICE GOING TO BE PROPORTIONAL TO THE COST OF THAT BATHROOM UPGRADE?! WHY ARE THEY NOT ASKING THESE QUESTIONS?!" Overall fairly entertaining though!

     Ha, YES!  "Oh, that looks awesome, IF YOU CAN SPEND ENDLESS AMOUNTS OF MONEY"  LOL  I've enjoyed the episodes I've seen, but the idea that cheese plates should greet every guest is insane on a number of levels.  

    Agreed re: those who protest there's no real-life numbers after a follow-up, only projections. And of course none of the nitty-gritty of permits and boots on the ground and the logistics necessary to actually execute an STR.

    But it is a fun show. :) 

  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Avery Carl  I said the same the same thing! We watched the first 2 episodes last night and even my brother (not real estate savy) questioned the budget and cost of the fancy decor. Did anyone notice the natural wood/glass top coffee table on the episode 2?! Honestly I probably won't finish the season. It's giving me a false idea of remodel expectations. 

  • Lender · Turlock, CA · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 33 votes
    7y

    Yep, I also watched all the episodes and enjoyed them all. I even jumped on AirBNB and searched for some of them and found them! The Seattle LoveNest houseboat (episode 1) and the Hudson river carriage house (episode 6) were my favorite! I wonder if the owners are members on here :)

    https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/21400463

    https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/23061243

  • Member since 2018 · 27 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Andrew wow if the owners are on BP how great would that be to hear the follow up? I wonder if the show pays a portion of remodel costs? If they did, the conversation becomes very different. 

  • Lender · Turlock, CA · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 33 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Loni Anderson:

    @Andrew wow if the owners are on BP how great would that be to hear the follow up? I wonder if the show pays a portion of remodel costs? If they did, the conversation becomes very different. 

    LOL I agree. The renovations definitely don't look cheap either. Based off the brief numbers they spoke about on episode 1 for the Seattle houseboat, and when I had looked at the AirBNB calendar and price I would say they FAR succeeded their goal. 

  • Property Manager · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2012 · 23 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    Here is the one for Malibu which was one of my favorite episodes.  Seems like the owner likes to stay there during peak season during the summer.

    https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/23357311

  • Member since 2018 · 27 posts · 4 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ryan Darby:

    Here is the one for Malibu which was one of my favorite episodes.  Seems like the owner likes to stay there during peak season during the summer.

    https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/23357311

    Hum, this may be a new strategy for flips guys! Get a show to pay reno for STR then flip it good.

  • Rental Property Investor · La Quinta, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 779 votes
    7y

    @Andrew Narsi Interesting that the first property on Airbnb you referenced appears to have the calendar blocked, and the second one has tons of vacancy and is rarely booked.  Same with the Malibu beach house referenced later in the thread.  

  • Justin WindhamPro Member
    Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Sarah Lorenz

    I just added it to my watchlist. Thanks!

  • Westminster, CO · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    @Loni Anderson I am a 3D Artist on many of these kind of shows, and the show definitely does NOT have any money to pay for any renos. To even get casted, the owner has to have guaranteed funds and remodel costs within a certain budget designated by the show creators. The only thing that you could consider "donated" is the advice and time of the hosts. Or if the show specifically says they "donated 6 months of free marketing," that was given by the marketing company because they received exposure from the show. But time, advice, and design or contracting work is still a huge win for the owner. Like on Fixer Upper, They were receiving free design advice/design plans from Joanna. And the owners were getting either free or steeply discounted work from Chip and his crew. BUT, the kickback of that is then the budgets and end cost represented are not realistic in a real-world house-flip or remodel because in the real world we all pay for design, plans, contracting, demo, install...etc.   

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.