Where is your Vacation Rental Property?

212 Replies

Originally posted by @Kate Shaw :

Long Beach and Joshua Tree California!

I grew up in Southern California and my father had a business just off the 710 freeway so I know the Long Beach area well.  My brother lives in Rossmoor!  I was trying to plan a trip to Joshua Tree in April but its become super expensive!  I would love to see your places if you are allowed to post a link or message me!

Originally posted by @Charisse Daving :

Hi Alana, 

Thanks for the info on Airbnb in Hawaii. May I ask where the locations are in Hawaii that you bought and did you take any financing out or bought outright? I’m sorry to pry but I really am trying to get a good understanding of this possible new venture. I have rental properties in a couple different states and the return is not very high, just trying to gage compared to a standard long term rental.

My place is in Princeville, Hawaii.  Yes, I took out a loan and I am making a 10% return but I bought in 2013 before the market inflated.  Now is probably not the best time to jump in the Kauai market but you might find something on one of the other islands.  @Kate Birch has places on Honolulu and might be able to give you some suggestions for that market.

Originally posted by @Mike V. :

@Alanna Schroeder I’m in escrow in Poipu as we speak and see a few others where the numbers will net 20%+.

No issues in Kauai that I’ve seen...

That's a really great return.  I would love to see your listing as well!  I  always get requests for people looking to stay on north and south shore...we can refer to each other!  Best of luck with your place!  If you need any recommendations let me know!

Originally posted by @Kate Shaw :

@Alanna Schroeder

It’s fate we would have met with all of those connections!

Here’s the link to my Joshua tree place. Hope I’m not breaking rules by posting ;)

I know...right!  

No link attached...not sure what happened.  Can you resend when you have a moment?  Thanks!

Hi everyone! I am new to BP and I would love to learn more about STR. It seems like being hands on is the key to success however I am an out of state investor and would use a management company. Any tips on how to be more hands on while being out of state?

Originally posted by @Alanna Schroeder :

Looking to connect with other vacation rental owners, hosts and managers!  My property is located in Princeville, Hawaii!  

I hate you. 😉 

We don’t have a vacation rental yet but we would LIKE to have one on Maui as a way to eventually ease into living there at least ½ time. Semi retirement. I’m 61 now. Rental would probably be in Kihei. But a more full time residential preference would be “Upcountry” around Kula. 

Originally posted by @Mark Whitted :
Originally posted by @Alanna Schroeder:

Looking to connect with other vacation rental owners, hosts and managers!  My property is located in Princeville, Hawaii!  

I hate you. 😉 

We don’t have a vacation rental yet but we would LIKE to have one on Maui as a way to eventually ease into living there at least ½ time. Semi retirement. I’m 61 now. Rental would probably be in Kihei. But a more full time residential preference would be “Upcountry” around Kula. 

lol.....Maui is great also.  I would love to eventually live at my rental full time upon retirement!  

You will make it happen....sounds like a great plan!

Originally posted by @Mark Whitted:

I hate you. 😉 

lol.....Maui is great also.  I would love to eventually live at my rental full time upon retirement!  

You will make it happen....sounds like a great plan!

One plan would be to ease into it by working from there.  

Originally posted by @Eric P.:

Is it legal?! I was just in Princeville and I had heard that STR was mostly illegal on the north shore of Kauai though also not heavily enforced though enforcement could get stricter

Hawaii is very strict in general.  My area is considered a resort area so YES it is legal.  I purchased in 2013 and would only consider legal rentals.  Not worth it otherwise.

I believe the big sticking point now is that you must have in-state property management. Although there are evidently other issues since the B&B owners (traditional FULL B&B, not airbnb) in Kapaa that we used to use who lived onsite got out of the business because of the regulatory hastles.  

This post has been removed.

@John sterling I have 3 vacation rentals in The Villages. The area is very rental friendly and very popular. Nov-April  booked over a year ahead, but still have interest throughout the year. Send me a message if you have any questions.

Ours is in Harrison, Idaho on the shores of Lake Coeur d' Alene. It is about 35 miles down lake from the city of Coeur d' Alene.

Looking to expand into another somewhere else in the US!

@Alanna Schroeder , the way to tag someone is first they must be a person posting in the thread, then you type the @ symbol next to the ? symbol and a list of everyone posting in the thread appears, click on the name.  If they have not posted you can only tag them if you are connected on the forums, kind of like friends.  Then in that case you type the @ then type at least the first 3 letters of their name and a list will pop up.

My VR is in Thermopolis WY.  A very nice little town with only moderate tourist traffic.  We do get folks on their way to Yellowstone, a fair number of fishermen on our river, some fall hunters, and of course folks visiting our hot springs and dinosaur museum.  I just added a second VR this year even though my first VR made less net income than a regular rental last year.  I think the future will see some good growth, but we will see.

I plan to try spending time at a VR in a place like Branson Missouri with my wife this year if all goes well.  Hopefully I can find someone in the VR business there who I can visit with while my wife goes to every music show she can find hehe.

Originally posted by @Jerry W. :

@Alanna Schroeder, the way to tag someone is first they must be a person posting in the thread, then you type the @ symbol next to the ? symbol and a list of everyone posting in the thread appears, click on the name.  If they have not posted you can only tag them if you are connected on the forums, kind of like friends.  Then in that case you type the @ then type at least the first 3 letters of their name and a list will pop up.

My VR is in Thermopolis WY.  A very nice little town with only moderate tourist traffic.  We do get folks on their way to Yellowstone, a fair number of fishermen on our river, some fall hunters, and of course folks visiting our hot springs and dinosaur museum.  I just added a second VR this year even though my first VR made less net income than a regular rental last year.  I think the future will see some good growth, but we will see.

I plan to try spending time at a VR in a place like Branson Missouri with my wife this year if all goes well.  Hopefully I can find someone in the VR business there who I can visit with while my wife goes to every music show she can find hehe.

Thank you for the posting tip!

You need to talk to my friend @Tyann Marcink she and her family have at least 20 rentals in Branson :)  She is there all the time and you should definitely try and touch bases with her.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here