OOS Newbie to Milwaukee

14 Replies

Hello! My name is Amy. I am a structural engineer and a newbie OOS investor looking at the Milwaukee area. I'd love to make connections and build a wonderful team. Anybody have tips or tricks for this market? I may not be able to buy you a coffee these days, but as a former general contractor, I can swap renovation ideas and problem solving. Can't wait to hear from you!

@Brandon Sturgill thank you! I sure hope to do well. I've loved real estate my whole life and am finally in a good position to start diving in.

I chose Milwaukee for a couple reasons, but no personal connections. I quickly realized my local market is a dud for both properties and property management, and all the nearby states are very expensive and hot. I'm also interested in Omaha and Ohio (family in the regions), but after reading the forums for a couple weeks, Milwaukee started looking really good as a start point. So here I am, hoping to talk to some locals and get their take on it :)

I live and invest in the Milwaukee area.  I personally prefer some of the tertiary markets surrounding MIlwaukee.  The first step IMO is to connect with a good PM.  They will be able to provide you with local market knowledge.

Hi Amy--

Nice to meet you. My name is Rebecca and my husband and I have run Captain Save a Home LLC, Brew City REI Club, Brew City REI Training Cafe and Wisconsin Contractor and Handyman Club based out of Milwaukee, WI for the past 8 years.

Have you determined what neighborhoods of Milwaukee County that you will be buying in? 

@Rebecca Knox hi Rebecca! I've heard good things of the Brew City REI group. I'm particularly interested in the Sherman Park area and between Arlington and Lindsay Heights. The prices are amazing compares to my neck of the woods and look to be in decent condition. I'm also seeing that the city may offer help in rehabs, which I'm very interested in, although I will be calling them to get a better idea of what's involved. What's your experience with these areas?

We actually own in Sherman Park but I like Lindsay Heights too. I also like Thurston Woods area. Lots of good pockets in the City. If you need PM referrals, hit me up. :)  Yes and definitely call the City about that or you can ask Daniel Balderas, broker/owner of Modern MilwauKey as I know he has experience with city properties. 

@Amy Stone - you have some of the best connected individuals here on this thread! Ed runs one of the best PM in town, Adam is a very smart local investor, Brock can tell you first hand what its like and Rebecca knows more investors than I have met people in my life..!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you