New BP Member - Fort Collins/Northern Colorado

New BP Member - Fort Collins/Northern Colorado

Member since 2023 · 1 post · 1 vote

Hello BP community. 

My name is Chris Arling and I am a 25 year old engineer just getting started in real estate investing. I live in Fort Collins, CO (~1 hour north of Denver) and I would like to start my portfolio in Northern Colorado and focus on a buy and hold strategy. I became interested in Real Estate investing after going through the process of buying my first home. My interest grew after listening to the BP podcast, reading some of the RDPD books, and talking with a friend who has been doing REI for a few years.

I would love to connect with other Northern Colorado locals to learn. My deficiencies in the process would certainly be creative financing, so I would appreciate any help with this specifically. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you all!

Chris

1Reply
22 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Marlon FongPro Member
    BiggerPockets Support · Bridge City, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 367 votes
    3y

    Welcome to the site @Chris Arling! It's great to have you here.

    Here are some recommendations for you:

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/m...

    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/a...

    Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/r...

    Check out BP Money Podcasts: https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

    Wishing you the best!

    BiggerPockets
  • Dan GuentherBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Longmont, CO · Member since 2019 · 548 posts · 271 votes
    3y

    Hey @Chris Arling, welcome to the BP community! I'm in the Boulder County area and would love to connect. I'd recommend attending some local meetups up here in NoCo. I run a meetup in Longmont and investor friends that run meetups in Boulder and Fort Collins. I'll send over more info for you! 

  • Lender · San Diego, CA · Member since 2022 · 587 posts · 298 votes
    3y

    Hey Chris- welcome to BP!

    I'd love to get you started on your first investment and discuss real estate with you.

    Feel free to shoot me a DM if you're interested.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Northern Colorado · Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 4 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Dan Guenther:

    Hey @Chris Arling, welcome to the BP community! I'm in the Boulder County area and would love to connect. I'd recommend attending some local meetups up here in NoCo. I run a meetup in Longmont and investor friends that run meetups in Boulder and Fort Collins. I'll send over more info for you! 

    Hey Dan! I live in Wellington and would love some info on Fort Collins meetups as well, even Longmont! Welcome to BP Chris! I’m working on my 2nd flip with a partner and using a hard money lender for the first time as well, but so far so good!
  • Dan GuentherBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Longmont, CO · Member since 2019 · 548 posts · 271 votes
    3y

    @Jesse Harris

    Awesome Jesse! I’ll send you the link to the meetup.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Chris Arling:

    Hello BP community. 

    My name is Chris Arling and I am a 25 year old engineer just getting started in real estate investing. I live in Fort Collins, CO (~1 hour north of Denver) and I would like to start my portfolio in Northern Colorado and focus on a buy and hold strategy. I became interested in Real Estate investing after going through the process of buying my first home. My interest grew after listening to the BP podcast, reading some of the RDPD books, and talking with a friend who has been doing REI for a few years.

    I would love to connect with other Northern Colorado locals to learn. My deficiencies in the process would certainly be creative financing, so I would appreciate any help with this specifically. 

    Looking forward to hearing back from you all!

    Chris


     Hi Chris,

    Do you drive one of these?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA6PKUNYo1s

  • Ben RhodinBusiness Member
    Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2020 · 338 posts · 331 votes
    3y

    Hey @Chris Arling! Welcome to the community, and you won't find any shortage of info here. If you have already been studying the podcasts and reading some books you should be pretty set up already. I would be cautious about getting stuck in the "learning" phase. There is no replacement for action. 

    My personal recommendation would be to look into a house hack for your first purchase. Being in FoCo you'll have some more restrictions to fight through but there are numerous ways to do it. Or if you are willing to move out of FoCo into either Loveland or Greeley, you can get some solid options for lower prices and easier regulations. Get with an Investor minded agent and strategize your goals and current situation to see what is achievable, you'll probably be surprised that you are more ready than you think. The agent will be able to hook you up with a great lender to see where you stand. 

    Then just get into something and start investing! Happy to connect and chat, Help numerous investors up in the Noco Market, and there are some great opportunities currently in the market!

  • Ty CouttsBusiness Member
    Lender · Denver, CO · Member since 2022 · 467 posts · 230 votes
    3y

    Hello @Chris Arling!

    I love the FoCo area! I am a Colorado native and my brother lives up there and works as the VP of a Architect/Development firm so I am up there a lot.

    Would love to connect with you about your goals in real estate and see if I can help provide any new nuggets you may not have picked up from the books or podcasts yet.

    We bought our first house and rented to traveling nurses as a duplex disguised as a SFH in the Denver area and then moving on to do it again in the Arvada area. There is so much rent potential up in your neck of the woods, I know you could kill it up there as you look to expand your portfolio!

    Would love to nerd out on all the insider tips and knowledge to how to make things go smoothly on the financing end of the equation if you ever want to meet up for some coffee some time!

    Ty Coutts - Aslan Home Lending 544 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.