New Member Introductions

User Stats

Votes
Wick Ra
Votes |
2 unit with a basement unit

Wick Ra
Posted Apr 29 2023, 06:54

Recently purchased a 2 unit brick building with a basement. Basement is fully finished with 2 door for entry and exit. Ceiling hewing the is around 7 feet. No kitchen. Are they are good architects or builders in Chicago who can help get a zoning certification to make it a legal 3 unit? Thanks! 

User Stats

Votes
Ned Carey
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Baltimore, MD
ModeratorReplied Apr 29 2023, 08:17

@Wick Ra welcome to BP opefuly someone will chme in with an answer.

User Stats

Votes
Danny Polanski
  • Chicago, Il
Votes |
  • Chicago, Il
Replied Apr 29 2023, 16:49

@Prashanth Mahakali would be my recommendation for an architect knowledgeable in basement adus. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Prashanth Mahakali
Pro Member
  • Architect
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Architect
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Apr 29 2023, 17:00

@Danny Polanski Thank you! 

@Wick Ra Congrats on the purchase. There are two ways of getting a basement unit legalized. If the property is within the ADU pilot areas, you can search for city of Chicago's adu program, complete the online form and wait if you get the approval. Upon getting the approval, you can contact an architect to help go through the design and permit process. Remember that even though the existing basement work is already complete (perhaps without a permit) you may have the architect evaluate the layout and show the changes in the drawings so the unit will be compliant.

If its not part of the ADU pilot areas, your best bet is through a zoning change AND a zoning variation, for which you would need a zoning attorney AND an Architect. There are many architects that you can find through the chicagocityscape website that specialize in ADU permits. I am one of them but you always want to talk to more than one architect before you select one.

Hope this information help. Good luck! 

PMPC Architects Logo

User Stats

Votes
Wick Ra
Votes |
Replied Apr 29 2023, 18:43
@Danny Polanski thank you for the connect. @Prashanth Mahakali this property is located in the Albany park zip code 60625, I believe it’s in the ADU pilot areas. I plan on changing the layout of the basement as well. I would love to work with you, what’s the best way to reach out? 

Quote from @Prashanth Mahakali:

@Danny Polanski

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Klemm
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Chicago, IL
ModeratorReplied May 1 2023, 06:36

Hey @Wick Ra - You've go one of the best above with @Prashanth Mahakali, also consider connecting with @Samuel Pavlovcik for another awesome Chicago architect.

We are building a pretty awesome ADU for one of our clients in Logan Square. Happy to connect and discuss the factors and costs.