First time buyer pre approved for 240k where do I buy?

First time buyer pre approved for 240k where do I buy?

Member since 2024 · 1 post · 2 votes

Hi everyone,

Hope all is well,

New member to BiggerPockets here but long time viewer. I'm looking to purchase my first investment property in the next few months and wanted to get some guidance / opinions.

I'm not from the US, Im from the UK, but studied in Chicago. When I first considered buying in the US I considered North Chicago as I know and like it but I'm aware of the high property taxes and question the longevity of the market there with a declining population and all that.

I live overseas currently so any purchase will be remote for me and I will get it managed, I may never even see the place so I'm quite open to where I could buy.

I wanted some thoughts on the best places to invest? In terms of yields, capital appreciation, and taxes.

I was considering Dallas TX and Tampa Florida as of right now because I feel they're both strong markets and favourable tax situations. I'm pre approved on 240k and looking to secure something in the next 2 months. If anyone had any thoughts I'd love to hear people's opinions and whether there's anywhere else I should be considering?

Thanks,

James

2Reply
36 views

Most Popular Reply

Samuel DioufBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus & Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y

I think Columbus, Ohio is a great market to consider. I moved here from Florida after seeing the projected growth. Multiple, billion dollar companies are investing substantial amounts of money into our area, such as Intel, Google, and Amazon. Which in turn will bring plenty of other investors and general business to the market.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    DFW #1 in the entire USA for population growth in 2023. Something like 150,000 people moved here.

    I think a lot of the growth announcements for the area really haven't materialized yet as well.   Goldman Sachs building HDQ3 here near downtown.  Bank of America just started their building north of downtown Dallas, Wells Fargo building basically HDQ in Irving and still under construction.  Several chip factories under construction. I believe Dr. Adelson is something like #22 of the world's richest people or maybe richest in USA, just bought some big plots to probably build one of the worlds largest casinos....interesting as we don't allow casino gaming yet.  Plenty of other smaller companies and projects going on.

    At $240K you can probably buy cash property around Sherman Denison area.  Growth moving that way.

    One of the real estate billionaires here said once...want to make millions in real estate, buy in the path of progress.  Makes sense.

  • Logan LaperriereBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2023 · 333 posts · 124 votes
    2y

    Hi James, 

    Welcome to the BP community!

    What is your overall goal with this property? Are you looking for monthly cashflow or just appreciation? 

    I recommend that you build a strong team in the area where you chose to invest. Building your "Core 4" (Real estate agent, Property manager, Contractor, Lender) is critical to your success. 

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2020 · 287 posts · 152 votes
    2y

    Hey James, Im a broker and invest here in Tampa. Happy to discuss the pros and cons of the tampa area when you have a moment just shoot me a dm.

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 679 posts · 288 votes
    2y

    Hello James Emerson in Europe? The worst thing in the world is to be an Absentee Owner. The second worst is to buy at the Top of the Market. Save your energy. Keep your JOB. You can buy a house in Italy for $1. Check out the youtube videos. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y

    OK I am going to do it.. Columbus Ohio. 

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @James Emerson:

    Hi everyone,

    Hope all is well,

    New member to BiggerPockets here but long time viewer. I'm looking to purchase my first investment property in the next few months and wanted to get some guidance / opinions.

    I'm not from the US, Im from the UK, but studied in Chicago. When I first considered buying in the US I considered North Chicago as I know and like it but I'm aware of the high property taxes and question the longevity of the market there with a declining population and all that.

    I live overseas currently so any purchase will be remote for me and I will get it managed, I may never even see the place so I'm quite open to where I could buy.

    I wanted some thoughts on the best places to invest? In terms of yields, capital appreciation, and taxes.

    I was considering Dallas TX and Tampa Florida as of right now because I feel they're both strong markets and favourable tax situations. I'm pre approved on 240k and looking to secure something in the next 2 months. If anyone had any thoughts I'd love to hear people's opinions and whether there's anywhere else I should be considering?

    Thanks,

    James


    I would go after a market with an increasing job and population growth. I invest and work in Columbus, Ohio. I am also looking to invest in Cincinnati and Cleveland. I started investing back in 2017
  • Samuel DioufBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus & Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    I think Columbus, Ohio is a great market to consider. I moved here from Florida after seeing the projected growth. Multiple, billion dollar companies are investing substantial amounts of money into our area, such as Intel, Google, and Amazon. Which in turn will bring plenty of other investors and general business to the market.

  • Sam McCormackBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH/NKY · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 833 votes
    2y
    Quote from @James Emerson:

    Hi everyone,

    Hope all is well,

    New member to BiggerPockets here but long time viewer. I'm looking to purchase my first investment property in the next few months and wanted to get some guidance / opinions.

    I'm not from the US, Im from the UK, but studied in Chicago. When I first considered buying in the US I considered North Chicago as I know and like it but I'm aware of the high property taxes and question the longevity of the market there with a declining population and all that.

    I live overseas currently so any purchase will be remote for me and I will get it managed, I may never even see the place so I'm quite open to where I could buy.

    I wanted some thoughts on the best places to invest? In terms of yields, capital appreciation, and taxes.

    I was considering Dallas TX and Tampa Florida as of right now because I feel they're both strong markets and favourable tax situations. I'm pre approved on 240k and looking to secure something in the next 2 months. If anyone had any thoughts I'd love to hear people's opinions and whether there's anywhere else I should be considering?

    Thanks,

    James


     With the price range of up to 240k, I would recommend Northern Kentucky or Cincinnati. Lower price range market for small mulifamily. Cash flow more than possible in this range?

    Sam McCormack Realtor
    View Page
  • Realtor · Columbus Ohio, Cleveland Ohio · Member since 2022 · 849 posts · 830 votes
    2y

    Hey James, with a price range like that Columbus and Cleveland OH will be a standout choice, in these cities, your financial resources will go a long way enabling you to assemble a diverse multifamily portfolio and initiate a steady stream of income. 

  • Marc RiceBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

    OK I am going to do it.. Columbus Ohio. 


     Haha. Have you picked up any lots here to build yet? Got to find you some stuff out here.

    Marc Rice | Investor Friendly Agent at Reafco Tailwind Team574 Reviews
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Marc Rice:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:

    OK I am going to do it.. Columbus Ohio. 


     Haha. Have you picked up any lots here to build yet? Got to find you some stuff out here.


    No not yet.. busy with my Oregon project.. 
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.