New member! Loves renovation, loves downtowns!

New member! Loves renovation, loves downtowns!

Investor · Indiana, mostly. · Member since 2014 · 25 posts · 3 votes

Hi all! This sub-forum suggests an emphasis on home state location. I grew up in Indiana. It's an interesting, conservative market and I like it a lot. These days though I'm better equipped to look at the redevelopment of city centers and their attraction of the young crowd. There is a lot of that in a lot of other regions. Oklahoma City, I'm looking at you (for example). Omaha? I/we're very interested in neighborhood renewal, and not just gentrification necessarily. How do other investors fare in mid-sized towns that may not have a lot of economic drivers like a big town? Who here gets excited at the things that aren't suburbs, bread and butter beige boxes? Never really expected to love old houses!

I've been reading and at least pretty aware of real estate for many years. Mostly I've worked for small businesses so I got to wear many hats, just like we investors get to do. For one business, I bought another little company, and its building, and some land. Honestly I'd love to be back in that small-commercial space again, this time for myself. Right now it's all residential. We want to grow by a few buildings a year. Systems are in place. Niche is clear. Participation has been good with the family-and-close-friends levels of investors. I am really happy with each deal. Now ready to expand knowledge base and scale up, with partners and without. It looks like BP stands at the ready!

I value community in real life, so I'm attracted to the contribute-and-add-value way of thinking around here and the generally positive attitude.

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
12y

Hey Welcome @William H. glad to have you on board.

I specialize in revitilizing neighborhoods as well. It will be interesting to compare notes.

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2012 · 276 posts · 77 votes
    12y

    Welcome @William H. !! Bigger pockets is an amazing community. If you are around my neck of the woods ever would love to meet up and grab some lunch or coffee and chat. Always up for meeting fellow hoosier investors and sounds like you have identified your niche!! Welcome and good luck!!

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 557 votes
    12y

    Welcome @William H. !

    It's always good to see another Hoosier join this great site.

  • Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 603 votes
    12y

    Big welcome to the site @William H., glad to have you here! I own a duplex in Indianapolis and it's always great to see new people spring up from Indiana.

    Hope to see you around the forums!

  • Real Estate Investor · Carmel, IN · Member since 2013 · 44 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    Welcome @William H.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
    12y

    I would just say this. I run into people all the time who say that they would "love to flip houses". What they really want to do deep down inside is to be an artist or an interior decorator, using houses as their canvas. Be careful, you can lose a lot of money that way.

  • Investor · Indiana, mostly. · Member since 2014 · 25 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    I really appreciate the welcomes. Lots of people from the Hoosier state...a few guys fairly local. Names to watch, I am sure.

    @Mehran K. In my lurking days I saw you had some interest in this part of the world. I remember your quality contributions.

  • Investor · Indiana, mostly. · Member since 2014 · 25 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    @Bryan L. Hey. You're a couple rungs up on the ladder from me and for some reason I noticed you in the forums a few days ago. I appreciate your safety net words of advice. I think I can say we like finding and constructing the financial side of the deal as much as or more than the finish side. Ours (your and my world, RE investing) is a rare world where we can employ both sides of the brain and I do like that.

    I think 1900s houses require a commitment to build and finish quality in order to keep their integrity. You (we) have to price that in, and decide to learn it. We are recovering houses from hack jobs. And, like I said above, really happy with each deal.

    Gut rehabs sure do give ample opportunity to spend or save money and I too have heard the stories. I see you know of what you speak.

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Hey @William H. Thanks for jumping in and introducing yourself! If you haven't yet- be sure to setup some "Keyword Alerts" to get into conversation in your target area.

    Seeya around!

  • Real Estate Attorney, Broker, Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2013 · 207 posts · 58 votes
    12y

    William,

    Welcome to the BP community. If I can ever be of assistance in the Indianapolis market, please let me know.

    Happy Investing!

  • Rental Property Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Hey Welcome @William H. glad to have you on board.

    I specialize in revitilizing neighborhoods as well. It will be interesting to compare notes.

  • Investor · Washington, IN · Member since 2014 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    12y
    Hi, my name is Dan Myers. I would love to talk to other people in Indiana about investment opportunities. I am in buying mode, just bought duplex and in process on a 4- plex. I am a buy and hold investor, but will occasionally trade a house up. Get ahold of me with any deals in southwest Indiana or any managed ideas. Thanks
  • Investor · Indiana, mostly. · Member since 2014 · 25 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    @Brandon Turner Have to admit I do love the keywords. First thing I did. Thanks for being so welcoming and building a culture aimed that way.

    @Al Williamson It's always nice to see someone who believes in the city and wants more for it than the sum of its parts. What keywords did you use to find this thread and how are you finding more folks with that focus? Feel free to pm if that's better.

  • Investor · Indiana, mostly. · Member since 2014 · 25 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    @Jynell Berkshire Thanks for the professional contact. Always great to hear of a pro who's in it personally. Also, I'll look around on here to see if you discuss economic development corps much because I'm interested in that. That was really cool to see in your profile.

  • Investor · Indiana, mostly. · Member since 2014 · 25 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    @Al Williamson Well It didn't highlight you so here's another shot at the @ thing. See above..

  • Real Estate Broker · NW Indiana · Member since 2014 · 99 posts · 30 votes
    12y

    hi William, fellow Hoosier.

    NW part of the state here. My long term goal is multi use properties in downtown areas. Sounds similar to your plan if I read it right.

  • Rental Property Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @William H. I found you while browsing and hanging out. Didn't use a keyword.

    I find other like-minded folks one at a time. I wish I had a system. Let me know if you figure it out.

  • Investor · Washington, IN · Member since 2014 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    Hi, I am new here. William H got me to set up a profile and some key words. Can anyone make some suggestions for being more productive on here?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.