New Member from Washington – Preparing for My First Duplex or Triplex

New Member from Washington – Preparing for My First Duplex or Triplex

Yakima, WA · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 9 votes

Hello everyone,

My name is Olaf Camacho, and I am from Yakima, Washington. I recently began learning about real estate investing and plan to start with a small multifamily property, ideally a duplex or triplex, through an FHA or other low down payment program.

I am currently reading some of Brandon Turner’s books to understand the fundamentals of house hacking, deal analysis, and property management. My goal is to build a strong foundation for long-term financial freedom while learning from experienced investors here in the BiggerPockets community.

Professionally, I hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration with a Specialization in Supply Chain Management and a Minor in Business Analytics. I am Lean Six Sigma Yellow and Green Belt Certified, with experience in operations, process improvement, and procurement within the distribution industry.

I am very motivated to learn, connect, and grow in this field. I truly appreciate the openness of this community, and I look forward to hearing from members who have been through the early stages of their journey. Any advice or insight from Washington-based investors would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all,
Olaf Camacho

6Reply
182 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Member since 2023 · 831 posts · 577 votes
10mo

Olaf Camacho 

Sounds like you're approaching this the right way. Starting with a small multifamily using FHA is one of the easiest way to get started while building equity and experience at the same time.

Keep focusing on analyzing deals and connecting with local investors. That foundation will pay off when you scale later. You’ve already got the right mindset and background.

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Eugene, OR · Member since 2021 · 245 posts · 154 votes
    10mo

    Welcome, Olaf!

    Are you in Yakima currently, or Seattle? I lived in Yakima for a few years and still own a rental there. It was our first home and it has been a great rental, and I've refinanced it and pulled out equity to buy two more, so it was a great foundation for an investing journey.

    Happy to help,

    Chris

    • Yakima, WA · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 9 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Chris Watkins:

      Welcome, Olaf!

      Are you in Yakima currently, or Seattle? I lived in Yakima for a few years and still own a rental there. It was our first home and it has been a great rental, and I've refinanced it and pulled out equity to buy two more, so it was a great foundation for an investing journey.

      Happy to help,

      Chris



      Hello Chris,

      Thank you for the warm welcome. I am currently based in Yakima, although the post location shows Seattle. It is nice to hear that you started here as well. Your experience refinancing and building from your first rental is very motivating. I appreciate you sharing that insight, and it gives me confidence that starting small can truly lead to long-term growth.

  • Real Estate Agent · Member since 2023 · 831 posts · 577 votes
    10mo

    Olaf Camacho 

    Sounds like you're approaching this the right way. Starting with a small multifamily using FHA is one of the easiest way to get started while building equity and experience at the same time.

    Keep focusing on analyzing deals and connecting with local investors. That foundation will pay off when you scale later. You’ve already got the right mindset and background.

    • Yakima, WA · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 9 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Nadeem Alamgir:

      Olaf Camacho 

      Sounds like you're approaching this the right way. Starting with a small multifamily using FHA is one of the easiest way to get started while building equity and experience at the same time.

      Keep focusing on analyzing deals and connecting with local investors. That foundation will pay off when you scale later. You’ve already got the right mindset and background.


      Hello Nadeem,


      Thank you for taking the time to share your advice. I agree that starting with a small multifamily property through FHA is a practical way to begin while gaining experience. I will continue focusing on analyzing deals and learning from local investors as you suggested. I appreciate your encouragement and the confidence you shared.
  • Yakima, WA · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 9 votes
    10mo
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Olaf Camacho:

    Hello everyone,

    My name is Olaf Camacho, and I am from Yakima, Washington. I recently began learning about real estate investing and plan to start with a small multifamily property, ideally a duplex or triplex, through an FHA or other low down payment program.

    I am currently reading some of Brandon Turner’s books to understand the fundamentals of house hacking, deal analysis, and property management. My goal is to build a strong foundation for long-term financial freedom while learning from experienced investors here in the BiggerPockets community.

    Professionally, I hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration with a Specialization in Supply Chain Management and a Minor in Business Analytics. I am Lean Six Sigma Yellow and Green Belt Certified, with experience in operations, process improvement, and procurement within the distribution industry.

    I am very motivated to learn, connect, and grow in this field. I truly appreciate the openness of this community, and I look forward to hearing from members who have been through the early stages of their journey. Any advice or insight from Washington-based investors would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you all,
    Olaf Camacho

    Hi Olaf, it's great you have a background that gives you the confidence to move forward, but don't overthink it. For me it's always been a financial decision. I have a list of expenses vs income, if it passes that list, then I look at the other factors. But, it always has to make financial sense for me first.


    Hello Roger,

    Thank you for sharing that perspective. I completely agree that it must make financial sense before moving forward. I will keep that in mind as I continue learning and preparing for my first purchase. I appreciate your advice.

  • Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10mo
    Quote from @Olaf Camacho:

    Hello everyone,

    My name is Olaf Camacho, and I am from Yakima, Washington. I recently began learning about real estate investing and plan to start with a small multifamily property, ideally a duplex or triplex, through an FHA or other low down payment program.

    I am currently reading some of Brandon Turner’s books to understand the fundamentals of house hacking, deal analysis, and property management. My goal is to build a strong foundation for long-term financial freedom while learning from experienced investors here in the BiggerPockets community.

    Professionally, I hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration with a Specialization in Supply Chain Management and a Minor in Business Analytics. I am Lean Six Sigma Yellow and Green Belt Certified, with experience in operations, process improvement, and procurement within the distribution industry.

    I am very motivated to learn, connect, and grow in this field. I truly appreciate the openness of this community, and I look forward to hearing from members who have been through the early stages of their journey. Any advice or insight from Washington-based investors would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you all,
    Olaf Camacho


     You are doing good man! That's exactly how I got started. Now i own 27 units and buying another 5 units this month. 

    Personally - I would recommend looking into the midwest. Lower barrier of entry, Better cashflow, good appreciation, more deal flow. 

    Choose a good market and find a good agent that can connect you with their core-4.

    • Yakima, WA · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 9 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Alfath Ahmed:
      Quote from @Olaf Camacho:

      Hello everyone,

      My name is Olaf Camacho, and I am from Yakima, Washington. I recently began learning about real estate investing and plan to start with a small multifamily property, ideally a duplex or triplex, through an FHA or other low down payment program.

      I am currently reading some of Brandon Turner’s books to understand the fundamentals of house hacking, deal analysis, and property management. My goal is to build a strong foundation for long-term financial freedom while learning from experienced investors here in the BiggerPockets community.

      Professionally, I hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration with a Specialization in Supply Chain Management and a Minor in Business Analytics. I am Lean Six Sigma Yellow and Green Belt Certified, with experience in operations, process improvement, and procurement within the distribution industry.

      I am very motivated to learn, connect, and grow in this field. I truly appreciate the openness of this community, and I look forward to hearing from members who have been through the early stages of their journey. Any advice or insight from Washington-based investors would be greatly appreciated.

      Thank you all,
      Olaf Camacho


       You are doing good man! That's exactly how I got started. Now i own 27 units and buying another 5 units this month. 

      Personally - I would recommend looking into the midwest. Lower barrier of entry, Better cashflow, good appreciation, more deal flow. 

      Choose a good market and find a good agent that can connect you with their core-4.

      Hello Alfath,

      Thank you for the motivation and the advice. I will definitely look into the Midwest; I had not considered that region before, but what you mention about lower barriers and better cash flow makes a lot of sense.

      I appreciate your perspective and will take your suggestion about finding a solid agent and market seriously. I am learning a lot from this community and it is great to connect with experienced investors like you.

      — Olaf

    • Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
      Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Olaf Camacho:
      Quote from @Alfath Ahmed:
      Quote from @Olaf Camacho:

      Hello everyone,

      My name is Olaf Camacho, and I am from Yakima, Washington. I recently began learning about real estate investing and plan to start with a small multifamily property, ideally a duplex or triplex, through an FHA or other low down payment program.

      I am currently reading some of Brandon Turner’s books to understand the fundamentals of house hacking, deal analysis, and property management. My goal is to build a strong foundation for long-term financial freedom while learning from experienced investors here in the BiggerPockets community.

      Professionally, I hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration with a Specialization in Supply Chain Management and a Minor in Business Analytics. I am Lean Six Sigma Yellow and Green Belt Certified, with experience in operations, process improvement, and procurement within the distribution industry.

      I am very motivated to learn, connect, and grow in this field. I truly appreciate the openness of this community, and I look forward to hearing from members who have been through the early stages of their journey. Any advice or insight from Washington-based investors would be greatly appreciated.

      Thank you all,
      Olaf Camacho


       You are doing good man! That's exactly how I got started. Now i own 27 units and buying another 5 units this month. 

      Personally - I would recommend looking into the midwest. Lower barrier of entry, Better cashflow, good appreciation, more deal flow. 

      Choose a good market and find a good agent that can connect you with their core-4.

      Hello Alfath,

      Thank you for the motivation and the advice. I will definitely look into the Midwest; I had not considered that region before, but what you mention about lower barriers and better cash flow makes a lot of sense.

      I appreciate your perspective and will take your suggestion about finding a solid agent and market seriously. I am learning a lot from this community and it is great to connect with experienced investors like you.

      — Olaf


       For sure brother. I made a calculator and some investing resource if you want i can share with you.

    • Yakima, WA · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 9 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Alfath Ahmed:
      Quote from @Olaf Camacho:
      Quote from @Alfath Ahmed:
      Quote from @Olaf Camacho:

      Hello everyone,

      My name is Olaf Camacho, and I am from Yakima, Washington. I recently began learning about real estate investing and plan to start with a small multifamily property, ideally a duplex or triplex, through an FHA or other low down payment program.

      I am currently reading some of Brandon Turner’s books to understand the fundamentals of house hacking, deal analysis, and property management. My goal is to build a strong foundation for long-term financial freedom while learning from experienced investors here in the BiggerPockets community.

      Professionally, I hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration with a Specialization in Supply Chain Management and a Minor in Business Analytics. I am Lean Six Sigma Yellow and Green Belt Certified, with experience in operations, process improvement, and procurement within the distribution industry.

      I am very motivated to learn, connect, and grow in this field. I truly appreciate the openness of this community, and I look forward to hearing from members who have been through the early stages of their journey. Any advice or insight from Washington-based investors would be greatly appreciated.

      Thank you all,
      Olaf Camacho


       You are doing good man! That's exactly how I got started. Now i own 27 units and buying another 5 units this month. 

      Personally - I would recommend looking into the midwest. Lower barrier of entry, Better cashflow, good appreciation, more deal flow. 

      Choose a good market and find a good agent that can connect you with their core-4.

      Hello Alfath,

      Thank you for the motivation and the advice. I will definitely look into the Midwest; I had not considered that region before, but what you mention about lower barriers and better cash flow makes a lot of sense.

      I appreciate your perspective and will take your suggestion about finding a solid agent and market seriously. I am learning a lot from this community and it is great to connect with experienced investors like you.

      — Olaf


       For sure brother. I made a calculator and some investing resource if you want i can share with you.



      Thank you, Alfath. I appreciate the offer. I am currently focused on learning and understanding the fundamentals, so I would be glad to review any general resources that you are comfortable sharing.
  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 917 votes
    10mo

    @Olaf Camacho

    Hey Olaf, welcome to BiggerPockets! Starting with a duplex or triplex is a smart way to get hands-on experience while minimizing risk, and it sounds like you’re building a solid foundation with your reading and professional background. While Washington has opportunities, if you’re open to out-of-state investing, the Midwest has a lot of undervalued duplexes and triplexes with strong cash flow, lower competition, and easier property management. Focusing on markets with solid rental demand can help you grow faster and learn the ins and outs of managing small multifamily properties efficiently. What’s your main goal with your first property — cash flow, appreciation, or a mix of both?

    • Yakima, WA · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 9 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Arman Ahmed:

      @Olaf Camacho

      Hey Olaf, welcome to BiggerPockets! Starting with a duplex or triplex is a smart way to get hands-on experience while minimizing risk, and it sounds like you’re building a solid foundation with your reading and professional background. While Washington has opportunities, if you’re open to out-of-state investing, the Midwest has a lot of undervalued duplexes and triplexes with strong cash flow, lower competition, and easier property management. Focusing on markets with solid rental demand can help you grow faster and learn the ins and outs of managing small multifamily properties efficiently. What’s your main goal with your first property — cash flow, appreciation, or a mix of both?


      Hello Arman,

      Thank you for the warm welcome and the advice. I appreciate you pointing out the opportunities in the Midwest, it sounds like an interesting region to explore, especially for smaller multifamily investments.

      For my first property, I would like to focus mainly on cash flow, but also keep an eye on long-term appreciation. My goal is to build a solid foundation with a property that helps me learn the process and manage risk while generating steady income.

      Thank you again for the encouragement and for taking the time to share your perspective.

      Olaf


  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10mo

    Hey @Olaf Camacho! Welcome to BP, and congrats on getting started on your RE journey! Brandon's got a great book, lots of good stuff in there!

    A multifamily is a great place to start, and I think a lot of investors are going that route because it’s easier to manage than a bunch of single-family homes from the beginning. I’d also be thinking about your taxes from the start, understanding the difference between passive vs. non-passive income, and what works with your current income, and see what you can do to make the most of it.

    You can write off things like mortgage interest, property taxes, insurance, repairs, improvements, depreciation, and even take bonus depreciation on certain components with a cost segregation study. I’d connect with a lender to get pre-approved, a local real estate agent to find a good deal, and a maybe CPA to make sure you're taking advantage of the tax opportunities and get set up correctly for future growth.

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD™ | AI-Powered Tax Planning
    • Yakima, WA · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 9 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Ashish Acharya:

      Hey @Olaf Camacho! Welcome to BP, and congrats on getting started on your RE journey! Brandon's got a great book, lots of good stuff in there!

      A multifamily is a great place to start, and I think a lot of investors are going that route because it’s easier to manage than a bunch of single-family homes from the beginning. I’d also be thinking about your taxes from the start, understanding the difference between passive vs. non-passive income, and what works with your current income, and see what you can do to make the most of it.

      You can write off things like mortgage interest, property taxes, insurance, repairs, improvements, depreciation, and even take bonus depreciation on certain components with a cost segregation study. I’d connect with a lender to get pre-approved, a local real estate agent to find a good deal, and a maybe CPA to make sure you're taking advantage of the tax opportunities and get set up correctly for future growth.




      Thank you, Ashish. I appreciate the detailed advice. I am still in the research and preparation stage, and I will make sure to study how tax strategy fits into the bigger picture early on. I will also learn more about cost segregation and reach out once I get closer to my first purchase. Thank you again for taking the time to share your insights. It really helps beginners like me.

      Olaf
    • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
      CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Olaf Camacho:
      Quote from @Ashish Acharya:

      Hey @Olaf Camacho! Welcome to BP, and congrats on getting started on your RE journey! Brandon's got a great book, lots of good stuff in there!

      A multifamily is a great place to start, and I think a lot of investors are going that route because it’s easier to manage than a bunch of single-family homes from the beginning. I’d also be thinking about your taxes from the start, understanding the difference between passive vs. non-passive income, and what works with your current income, and see what you can do to make the most of it.

      You can write off things like mortgage interest, property taxes, insurance, repairs, improvements, depreciation, and even take bonus depreciation on certain components with a cost segregation study. I’d connect with a lender to get pre-approved, a local real estate agent to find a good deal, and a maybe CPA to make sure you're taking advantage of the tax opportunities and get set up correctly for future growth.




      Thank you, Ashish. I appreciate the detailed advice. I am still in the research and preparation stage, and I will make sure to study how tax strategy fits into the bigger picture early on. I will also learn more about cost segregation and reach out once I get closer to my first purchase. Thank you again for taking the time to share your insights. It really helps beginners like me.

      Olaf

      I'm more than happy to help, and I’m glad the advice has been useful for you. Feel free to reach out anytime, I’m just a message away.

      INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
      TaxMD™ | AI-Powered Tax Planning
    • Yakima, WA · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 9 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Ashish Acharya:
      Quote from @Olaf Camacho:
      Quote from @Ashish Acharya:

      Hey @Olaf Camacho! Welcome to BP, and congrats on getting started on your RE journey! Brandon's got a great book, lots of good stuff in there!

      A multifamily is a great place to start, and I think a lot of investors are going that route because it’s easier to manage than a bunch of single-family homes from the beginning. I’d also be thinking about your taxes from the start, understanding the difference between passive vs. non-passive income, and what works with your current income, and see what you can do to make the most of it.

      You can write off things like mortgage interest, property taxes, insurance, repairs, improvements, depreciation, and even take bonus depreciation on certain components with a cost segregation study. I’d connect with a lender to get pre-approved, a local real estate agent to find a good deal, and a maybe CPA to make sure you're taking advantage of the tax opportunities and get set up correctly for future growth.




      Thank you, Ashish. I appreciate the detailed advice. I am still in the research and preparation stage, and I will make sure to study how tax strategy fits into the bigger picture early on. I will also learn more about cost segregation and reach out once I get closer to my first purchase. Thank you again for taking the time to share your insights. It really helps beginners like me.

      Olaf

      I'm more than happy to help, and I’m glad the advice has been useful for you. Feel free to reach out anytime, I’m just a message away.




      Hi Ashish,

      Thank you for your message and for offering your help. I appreciate the support. I will keep your information in mind as I continue learning.

      Best,

      Olaf
  • New to Real Estate · Miami, FL · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 448 votes
    10mo

    Welcome, Olaf! You're off to a great start, Brandon Turner’s books are a solid foundation, and pairing that with your business and process improvement background gives you a serious edge in real estate. Your approach is structured and intentional, which is exactly what leads to long-term success.

    Starting with a duplex or triplex using FHA is a smart entry point, especially in today's market. Just be mindful of the local rental demand and property condition, since FHA can have stricter appraisal requirements.

    • Yakima, WA · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 9 votes
      10mo
      Quote from @Drago Stanimirovic:

      Welcome, Olaf! You're off to a great start, Brandon Turner’s books are a solid foundation, and pairing that with your business and process improvement background gives you a serious edge in real estate. Your approach is structured and intentional, which is exactly what leads to long-term success.

      Starting with a duplex or triplex using FHA is a smart entry point, especially in today's market. Just be mindful of the local rental demand and property condition, since FHA can have stricter appraisal requirements.




      Hi Drago,


      Thank you for the encouragement. I appreciate you mentioning Brandon Turner’s books because they have given me a clear structure to follow as I prepare for my first property. My background in process improvement helps me stay organized, so it is good to hear that this approach is useful in real estate as well.


      I agree that starting with a duplex or triplex through an FHA loan is a realistic entry point for me. I will keep an eye on local rental demand and property condition, especially since FHA has more strict appraisal requirements. If you have any general advice on what lenders usually look for when a first time investor is preparing for an FHA backed purchase, I would appreciate it.


      Thank you again for the guidance.


      Best,

      Olaf



Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.