Newbie Investor Looking to Learn and Invest

Newbie Investor Looking to Learn and Invest

Adam KnottPro Member
Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2011 · 1 post · 6 votes

Good Evening,

My name is Adam.  I live in Kalamazoo.  By day I am a financial analyst with over 20+ years experience in finance.  I am new to real estate investing, only invested in REITs.  I'm willing and eager to learn.  I can do spreadsheets, analysis, research, laboring work, etc.  

I look forward to hearing back!

6Reply
213 views

Most Popular Reply

Arman AhmedPro Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 940 votes
6mo
Quote from @Adam Knott:

Good Evening,

My name is Adam.  I live in Kalamazoo.  By day I am a financial analyst with over 20+ years experience in finance.  I am new to real estate investing, only invested in REITs.  I'm willing and eager to learn.  I can do spreadsheets, analysis, research, laboring work, etc.  

I look forward to hearing back!


Great background, your finance experience will translate really well into REI, especially on underwriting deals. Since you’re in Kalamazoo, you’re actually in a solid spot to look at nearby Midwest markets where the numbers still work, especially Ohio, where we’re seeing stronger cash flow and more off-market opportunities than what’s available locally. If you’re open to investing out-of-state, I can point you to some under-valued deals we’re currently sourcing, along with a full boots-on-the-ground setup, property management, contractors, and local lenders already in place, so it’s pretty turnkey to get started.
See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kerry Noble JrPro Member
    Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7mo

    Welcome! Im open to adding value anyway that i can. 

  • Lender · Lake City, MI · Member since 2019 · 118 posts · 42 votes
    6mo

    Hey Adam

    How is your hunt for some property to invest in going?  

    When I first started I found great success in narrowing down my 'buy-box' so I knew exactly what I was looking for when the deals appeared.

    I am happy to help in any way I can!

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 940 votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Adam Knott:

    Good Evening,

    My name is Adam.  I live in Kalamazoo.  By day I am a financial analyst with over 20+ years experience in finance.  I am new to real estate investing, only invested in REITs.  I'm willing and eager to learn.  I can do spreadsheets, analysis, research, laboring work, etc.  

    I look forward to hearing back!


    Great background, your finance experience will translate really well into REI, especially on underwriting deals. Since you’re in Kalamazoo, you’re actually in a solid spot to look at nearby Midwest markets where the numbers still work, especially Ohio, where we’re seeing stronger cash flow and more off-market opportunities than what’s available locally. If you’re open to investing out-of-state, I can point you to some under-valued deals we’re currently sourcing, along with a full boots-on-the-ground setup, property management, contractors, and local lenders already in place, so it’s pretty turnkey to get started.
  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Adam Knott:

    Good Evening,

    My name is Adam.  I live in Kalamazoo.  By day I am a financial analyst with over 20+ years experience in finance.  I am new to real estate investing, only invested in REITs.  I'm willing and eager to learn.  I can do spreadsheets, analysis, research, laboring work, etc.  

    I look forward to hearing back!

    Hey Adam, welcome to BiggerPockets! With your finance background you’re already ahead of the curve—being strong in analysis and spreadsheets is a huge advantage in this business. The best next step is to pair that with real-world reps: start underwriting a few deals a week (even if you don’t buy them), learn how to estimate rehab costs at a basic level, and get familiar with rent comps so your numbers reflect reality, not just theory. At the same time, focus on building a small local team—agent, lender, contractor, maybe a property manager—because real estate is very much a team sport and your network will matter as much as your math. Since you’re open to doing some labor, a light value-add deal (cosmetic updates, not heavy structural work) can be a great way to learn without taking on too much risk. Also, don’t get stuck in analysis mode—set clear buy criteria (price range, cash flow target, property type) so you know what you’re actually looking for and can act when something fits. You’ve got a solid foundation, now it’s just about getting in the game and learning by doing.
  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Adam Knott:

    Good Evening,

    My name is Adam.  I live in Kalamazoo.  By day I am a financial analyst with over 20+ years experience in finance.  I am new to real estate investing, only invested in REITs.  I'm willing and eager to learn.  I can do spreadsheets, analysis, research, laboring work, etc.  

    I look forward to hearing back!


     what assistance are you specifically looking for?

  • Loren SouersPro Member
    Real Estate Broker · Portage, MI · Member since 2015 · 50 posts · 12 votes
    5mo

    @Adam Knott Hey there and welcome! This is such a fun industry. I'm also in Kalamazoo (Portage). Let me know if you want to crab coffee sometime. I enjoy just chatting about all this stuff. Message me if your interested. 

  • Randy CharboneauBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Broker · Grandville, MI · Member since 2016 · 109 posts · 78 votes
    5mo
    Quote from @Adam Knott:

    Good Evening,

    My name is Adam.  I live in Kalamazoo.  By day I am a financial analyst with over 20+ years experience in finance.  I am new to real estate investing, only invested in REITs.  I'm willing and eager to learn.  I can do spreadsheets, analysis, research, laboring work, etc.  

    I look forward to hearing back!


    Hey Adam! Welcome to BP! I work these markets so I'll be happy to lend a hand. Owning an investment property can be very lucrative but it's quite a bit different than investing in a REIT. If you do it right, you'll make a lot of money. I think your background in analysis will be a strong asset for you when choosing the right investment vehicle for you.

    Are you looking for some local help or advice?  Have you done any research into the type of investment you'd like to make in Real Estate?



  • Robin SimonBusiness Member
    Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5mo
    Quote from @Adam Knott:

    Good Evening,

    My name is Adam.  I live in Kalamazoo.  By day I am a financial analyst with over 20+ years experience in finance.  I am new to real estate investing, only invested in REITs.  I'm willing and eager to learn.  I can do spreadsheets, analysis, research, laboring work, etc.  

    I look forward to hearing back!


    Welcome to BP - which are the REITs you've invested in? What are you specifically looking for in actual property ownership vs. the REIT route (asking because its great to have a concrete alternative with pretty modelable returns to look at when comparing uses of your capital)

  • Investor · Peoria, AZ · Member since 2016 · 114 posts · 163 votes
    5mo

    Adam, welcome to the community. Your finance and analytical background is going to be a huge asset in real estate investing, especially when it comes to underwriting deals, evaluating risk, and spotting opportunities others may miss.

    A lot of investors start with REITs before moving into direct ownership, so you already have a solid foundation. As you continue learning, you may also want to explore passive investing through syndications. It’s a great way to gain exposure to larger deals, learn from experienced operators, and potentially benefit from some of the tax advantages real estate can offer over time.

    Glad to have you here, and looking forward to seeing your journey develop.

  • Property Manager · Warsaw · Member since 2026 · 107 posts · 38 votes
    4mo

    Hi, and during searching deals is it hard for you with hundreds of them to find those interesting? For me first think is fast finding red flags in great majority of them

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.