My name is Alex and I'm looking to invest in US real estate. The markets in currently interested in are Ohio, Alabama, Indiana, North Carolina and Georgia. Looking to connect with people that have experience with crossborder investments and some local experts.
Investor · Hatboro, PA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 866 votes
7mo
Hi @Alex Borghello. Welcome to Bigger Pockets. Those are all pretty good markets. Building the right boots on the ground team is definitely key! We have several Canadian investors in our co investing club that investing with us through the states. You will definitely need a ITIN, EIN, and US bank account.
Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
7mo
Alex, welcome to the BP community. Those are solid markets to explore. If Georgia, especially the Metro Atlanta area is on your list, feel free to connect. I am a Real Estate Broker and Mortgage Broker here and work with investors.
Property Manager · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2025 · 44 posts · 22 votes
7mo
Hi Alex, welcome to the journey into U.S. real estate; you’re thinking about some solid markets, and Georgia absolutely belongs on that list.
A few quick thoughts from the Atlanta side that might be helpful as you get started as a Canadian investor:
From a distance, the team you build is more important than the individual deal: local agent, lender/finance solution familiar with cross‑border clients, CPA who understands U.S./Canada tax issues, and a property manager who knows the tenant laws and sub-markets.
In Georgia (and especially metro Atlanta), the big levers are neighborhood selection, school zones, and rent‑to‑price ratios — the same city can have both A+ and D‑level streets within a short drive, so hyper‑local knowledge matters.
As an out-of-country investor, you’ll want a property manager who can be your “boots on the ground”: honest rent projections, rehab guidance, lease-up strategy, and ongoing reporting so you’re not managing by guesswork.
I’m based in Atlanta and work specifically with investors on the property management and operations side, so if Georgia ends up on the top of your list, I’m happy to walk you through what to expect here and how it compares with some of the other markets you mentioned. Feel free to reach out, and we can talk through strategy, neighborhoods, and what a good support team would look like for you.
Investor · Hatboro, PA · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 866 votes
7mo
Hi @Alex Borghello. Welcome to Bigger Pockets. Those are all pretty good markets. Building the right boots on the ground team is definitely key! We have several Canadian investors in our co investing club that investing with us through the states. You will definitely need a ITIN, EIN, and US bank account.
Hi @Alex Borghello. Welcome to Bigger Pockets. Those are all pretty good markets. Building the right boots on the ground team is definitely key! We have several Canadian investors in our co investing club that investing with us through the states. You will definitely need a ITIN, EIN, and US bank account.
Thanks @G. Brian Davis for the advice and finally all set up business wise. Also interested in learning from and with others. Can I join your co-investing group?
My name is Alex and I'm looking to invest in US real estate. The markets in currently interested in are Ohio, Alabama, Indiana, North Carolina and Georgia. Looking to connect with people that have experience with crossborder investments and some local experts.
I have almost 10 years of experience in Ohio. Happy to connect
Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6mo
Hey Alex, welcome to BP!
Make sure you look into the differences on the tax and legal side. Investing in the US as a Canadian comes with its own set of rules around how rental income is reported, what happens when you eventually sell, and whether it makes sense to set up a US entity. A cross border accountant or attorney is worth the investment here.
On financing, look for lenders who specifically have experience working with Canadian investors. Not all US lenders will work with foreign nationals so finding ones who do will save you a lot of back and forth.
And if possible, start connecting with people on the ground in your target markets. A good local property manager, a local realtor, even other investors active in those areas can make a huge difference when you're investing from a distance. BP is actually a great place to find those connections.
My name is Alex and I'm looking to invest in US real estate. The markets in currently interested in are Ohio, Alabama, Indiana, North Carolina and Georgia. Looking to connect with people that have experience with crossborder investments and some local experts.
Detroit is right across the river from Windsor, Ontario:)
My name is Alex and I'm looking to invest in US real estate. The markets in currently interested in are Ohio, Alabama, Indiana, North Carolina and Georgia. Looking to connect with people that have experience with crossborder investments and some local experts.
Hey Alex, welcome to BiggerPockets! If you’re looking at cross-border investing, Ohio is definitely one of the stronger options on your list because the market fundamentals are really solid—population is growing, job growth is strong, and major companies like Intel, Amazon, Google, Honda, Microsoft, LG, and Facebook are investing heavily here, which drives both rental demand and long-term appreciation. You can still find properties in the $120K–180K range that hit the 1% rule and cash flow from day one, which makes managing multiple smaller investments easier if you want to diversify, and the landlord laws are very investor-friendly. Comparing it to the other states you mentioned, Columbus, Ohio stands out for being affordable while still offering strong cash flow and appreciation potential, which is why a lot of out-of-state investors are focusing here. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!
My name is Alex and I'm looking to invest in US real estate. The markets in currently interested in are Ohio, Alabama, Indiana, North Carolina and Georgia. Looking to connect with people that have experience with crossborder investments and some local experts.
My name is Alex and I'm looking to invest in US real estate. The markets in currently interested in are Ohio, Alabama, Indiana, North Carolina and Georgia. Looking to connect with people that have experience with crossborder investments and some local experts.
Hey Alex. I own 7 doors and am also working on numerous flips here in Ohio. Would be happy to talk to you more about how everything is going over here.
My name is Alex and I'm looking to invest in US real estate. The markets in currently interested in are Ohio, Alabama, Indiana, North Carolina and Georgia. Looking to connect with people that have experience with crossborder investments and some local experts.
Welcome! A lot of Canadian investors are looking at the same Midwest and Southeast markets you mentioned because the price-to-rent ratios are still attractive compared to Canada. The Midwest, in particular, has been popular for out-of-state and international investors since entry prices are relatively low and rental demand is strong. The biggest thing with cross-border investing is building a solid local team, agent, lender, property manager, and contractor, so the distance doesn’t become a problem. Once that’s in place, buying and managing remotely becomes much more straightforward.
My name is Alex and I'm looking to invest in US real estate. The markets in currently interested in are Ohio, Alabama, Indiana, North Carolina and Georgia. Looking to connect with people that have experience with crossborder investments and some local experts.
Ohio is close and drivable. I would start there.. I personally started in Detroit area then Buffalo, Columbus then Chicago..
My name is Alex and I'm looking to invest in US real estate. The markets in currently interested in are Ohio, Alabama, Indiana, North Carolina and Georgia. Looking to connect with people that have experience with crossborder investments and some local experts.
Ohio is close and drivable. I would start there.. I personally started in Detroit area then Buffalo, Columbus then Chicago..
Thanks @Hai Loc, which cities did you have the most success in?
My name is Alex and I'm looking to invest in US real estate. The markets in currently interested in are Ohio, Alabama, Indiana, North Carolina and Georgia. Looking to connect with people that have experience with crossborder investments and some local experts.
Ohio is close and drivable. I would start there.. I personally started in Detroit area then Buffalo, Columbus then Chicago..
Thanks @Hai Loc, which cities did you have the most success in?
Looking back i should have exclusively stayed in Michigan.. they had everything from SFH, MultiFamily and Flips
My name is Alex and I'm looking to invest in US real estate. The markets in currently interested in are Ohio, Alabama, Indiana, North Carolina and Georgia. Looking to connect with people that have experience with crossborder investments and some local experts.
Those are all good markets to look into @Alex Borghello. Ideally you want a market that is tech driven, landlord friendly, and affordable. That will mean more jobs, more income, higher property prices, and better opportunity for your rental to perform better.
Any state in the midwest works. Find a major city and only invest there. Connect with a good investor-focused agent who is also an investor themselves. Have him connect you with his team of contractors, lenders, property managers. Go visit the market.
Your agent will send you good investment opportunities off-market and on-market. Ask for rent comps, sales comps, info on mechanicals, and have agent find out how far on the price you guys can go to make it make sense.
Get inspection/contractor walkthrough, speak to PM on rents, and that is all.
My name is Alex and I'm looking to invest in US real estate. The markets in currently interested in are Ohio, Alabama, Indiana, North Carolina and Georgia. Looking to connect with people that have experience with crossborder investments and some local experts.
Those are all good markets to look into @Alex Borghello. Ideally you want a market that is tech driven, landlord friendly, and affordable. That will mean more jobs, more income, higher property prices, and better opportunity for your rental to perform better.
Any state in the midwest works. Find a major city and only invest there. Connect with a good investor-focused agent who is also an investor themselves. Have him connect you with his team of contractors, lenders, property managers. Go visit the market.
Your agent will send you good investment opportunities off-market and on-market. Ask for rent comps, sales comps, info on mechanicals, and have agent find out how far on the price you guys can go to make it make sense.
Get inspection/contractor walkthrough, speak to PM on rents, and that is all.
Thanks @Hai Loc. It's seems like I'm spending more time looking at homes in Ohio and Michigan { mainly the Detroit area) and put in a few offers for homes. I just find that there's more stock in these areas. The biggest worry is so much supply and if the rental demand will drop.
My name is Alex and I'm looking to invest in US real estate. The markets in currently interested in are Ohio, Alabama, Indiana, North Carolina and Georgia. Looking to connect with people that have experience with crossborder investments and some local experts.
Those are all good markets to look into @Alex Borghello. Ideally you want a market that is tech driven, landlord friendly, and affordable. That will mean more jobs, more income, higher property prices, and better opportunity for your rental to perform better.
Any state in the midwest works. Find a major city and only invest there. Connect with a good investor-focused agent who is also an investor themselves. Have him connect you with his team of contractors, lenders, property managers. Go visit the market.
Your agent will send you good investment opportunities off-market and on-market. Ask for rent comps, sales comps, info on mechanicals, and have agent find out how far on the price you guys can go to make it make sense.
Get inspection/contractor walkthrough, speak to PM on rents, and that is all.
Thanks @Hai Loc. It's seems like I'm spending more time looking at homes in Ohio and Michigan { mainly the Detroit area) and put in a few offers for homes. I just find that there's more stock in these areas. The biggest worry is so much supply and if the rental demand will drop.
I havent been in tune with those markets lately.. If there is more supply just choose better areas as they Will always find tenants
Those are good markets to look at. When it comes to Detroit, two things are happening currently. Detroit is having a revitalization and significant upside is taking place. The second is, even though properties are priced cheaper it is very much a 'block by block' review to make sure you are buying something in a decent location.
As a fellow Canadian, who currently lives in Michigan I have also been drawing to the Detroit/southern great lakes area. Feel free to DM me as I would love to provide any support I can.
Those are good markets to look at. When it comes to Detroit, two things are happening currently. Detroit is having a revitalization and significant upside is taking place. The second is, even though properties are priced cheaper it is very much a 'block by block' review to make sure you are buying something in a decent location.
As a fellow Canadian, who currently lives in Michigan I have also been drawing to the Detroit/southern great lakes area. Feel free to DM me as I would love to provide any support I can.