Rookie Real Estate Investor

Rookie Real Estate Investor

Member since 2025 · 1 post · 2 votes

Howdy everyone! I’m excited to finally join the BiggerPockets community.

I’ve read a lot about it in books and heard through the podcast. I’m currently house hacking my first duplex in Lubbock, renting out the other side while living in one unit. My goal is to build a portfolio of long-term rental properties, with my next purchase hopefully being another duplex or small multifamily property in the Dallas–Fort Worth area within the next six months. I’ve been trying to educate myself as much as possible before buying. I’ve read a plethora of real estate and tax street books, my favorite being The House Hacking Strategy, and I’m currently working through more real estate books and regularly listening to the BiggerPockets Real Estate Podcast. I’m especially interested in:

• House hacking
• Long-term rentals
• Small multifamily investing
• Tax strategies
• Financing and creative ways to scale
• Networking with other Texas investors

I’d love to connect with anyone investing in Texas, especially the DFW area. If you’ve built a rental portfolio, I’d appreciate any advice you wish someone had given you after your first property. Looking forward to learning from everyone and hopefully contributing as I gain more experience. Thanks for having me!

2Reply
203 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Member since 2022 · 72 posts · 19 votes
    2mo

    Welcome, Michael! Sounds like you’re off to a great start with your first duplex. House hacking is a great way to learn the business while building equity at the same time. Wishing you the best as you work toward your next property in DFW. Happy to connect!

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 934 votes
    2mo
    Quote from @Michael Villalba:

    Howdy everyone! I’m excited to finally join the BiggerPockets community.

    I’ve read a lot about it in books and heard through the podcast. I’m currently house hacking my first duplex in Lubbock, renting out the other side while living in one unit. My goal is to build a portfolio of long-term rental properties, with my next purchase hopefully being another duplex or small multifamily property in the Dallas–Fort Worth area within the next six months. I’ve been trying to educate myself as much as possible before buying. I’ve read a plethora of real estate and tax street books, my favorite being The House Hacking Strategy, and I’m currently working through more real estate books and regularly listening to the BiggerPockets Real Estate Podcast. I’m especially interested in:

    • House hacking
    • Long-term rentals
    • Small multifamily investing
    • Tax strategies
    • Financing and creative ways to scale
    • Networking with other Texas investors

    I’d love to connect with anyone investing in Texas, especially the DFW area. If you’ve built a rental portfolio, I’d appreciate any advice you wish someone had given you after your first property. Looking forward to learning from everyone and hopefully contributing as I gain more experience. Thanks for having me!


    Starting with a house hack is one of the best ways to get into real estate because you’re learning the business while reducing your own housing costs. Keep building your knowledge, but don’t overlook other markets as you scale. A lot of investors eventually look beyond their backyard into Midwest markets where small multifamily properties can be more affordable and offer stronger cash flow potential. The biggest advantage you can build early is a good team and a repeatable process so your second, third, and fourth deals become easier.

  • Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    2mo

    Hey Michael! I'm a rookie in DFW too, and sent you a PM. Feel free to reach back out.

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2mo

    @Michael Villalba

    Welcome to BP! and congratulations on your first duplex, it’s a big first step! The suggestion I have is that you buy your next investment using good old fashioned numbers and building on the relationships that you already have here in DFW. DM me and I will point you in the right direction.

    Good luck!

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    2mo

    @Michael Villalba Welcome to the BiggerPockets community. Congratulations on house hacking your first duplex. Since you are planning to invest in the DFW area, I would recommend joining a local REIA to build relationships with experienced investors, lenders and contractors. Wishing you continued success as you grow your portfolio.

  • Inland Empire, CA · Member since 2017 · 151 posts · 79 votes
    2mo

    Hey@Michael Villalba good to r-meet you. Welcome. My partners and I invest in larger multifamily in DFW. I'm in CA but we visit regularly. Happy to connect if helpful

  • Travis TurnerBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Lubbock, TX · Member since 2021 · 45 posts · 28 votes
    1mo
    Happy to help in the Lubbock area. We also have a wholesale operation for fix and flips in Dallas. Feel free to reach out
  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1mo

    Michael, welcome to BiggerPockets. House hacking a duplex is a strong way to learn because you’re getting experience with financing, tenants, maintenance, and rental operations while still living close to the property.

    Since you're hoping to buy another duplex or small multifamily in DFW within the next six months, I'd focus on building a repeatable buy box instead of rushing to scale. Know your target purchase price, realistic rents, taxes, insurance, vacancy, repairs, CapEx, management, and the amount of cash you want left after closing.

    The tax side is also worth learning early. Once you move into additional long-term rentals, I’d evaluate cost segregation after each property is placed in service. It may accelerate depreciation, but the important question is whether you can actually use the losses. Long-term rental losses are generally passive unless an exception applies, so material participation and Real Estate Professional Status can materially affect the current tax benefit.

    I also wouldn't rush into multiple LLCs simply because you're building a portfolio. An LLC can be useful for liability and ownership planning, but it does not automatically create tax savings on rental income.

    You’re already doing the most important part: getting experience with one property before trying to scale quickly.

    Happy to connect!

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | Tax Planning Software
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.