Hello everyone! I am a new member from Charlotte, NC

Hello everyone! I am a new member from Charlotte, NC

Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 3 posts · 3 votes

Hello everybody, I currently live in Charlotte, NC and originally from Rochester, NY. 

I am a beginner, but eager and interested in learning about every aspect of real estate investing, however multifamily residential and wholesaling are of immediate interest, and eventually I would like to build a commercial real estate business. 

I jumped into the game by purchasing my first townhouse with a partner in Dec 13, and have learned quite a bit through that experience. 

I welcome any and all networking as I believe it is the most important aspect of any business endeavor, especially real estate. Please drop a line, I'm eager to get to know members of the community!

2Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Huntersville, NC · Member since 2011 · 63 posts · 36 votes
12y

Hey @Michael Shoniker 

Welcome to Charlotte and BP! I live in Charlotte and do some investing. We have a few buy and holds, have done a few flips, and new builds, and getting into wholesaling also. Michelle and I also run a subgroup for Metrolina REIA on the 4th Thursday of every month, which just so happens to be this Thursday. It is call the Lake Norman subgroup, would love to have you out to it to meet other investors in the area. Maybe we can get @Andy DeFruscio to come out since its in his backyard?  Advice from me would be network, network, network, and then some more networking!  Read all you can here and listen to the podcasts.  Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Involved In Real Estate · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 72 posts · 17 votes
    12y

    @Michael Shoniker 

    Welcome to BP!! Fellow Charlottean here!! Currently in San Diego. I'm originally from Poughkeepsie, NY. Great to see you here and I wish you much knowledge and success!

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Denver, NC · Member since 2014 · 30 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    Hey Michael! Welcome to the forums. If you have not already listened to all the podcasts I would certainly do that. The forums are full of sooo much great information. 

    I am originally from Albany and now live around Lake Norman. I am an agent and investor so I sell property in Charlotte a lot. Feel free to reach out with any questions you might have. Enjoy!

    704-995-2829

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Hey @Michael Shoniker thanks for introducing yourself! It's great to have you here! Don't miss The BiggerPockets Podcast - they are great for learning how others are finding success.

    Oh - and be sure to set up some Keyword Alerts- especially for "Charlotte" so you'll be notified when people mention it here in the forums.

    Thanks again for introducing yourself!

  • Specialist · Rockland, MA · Member since 2010 · 7k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Michael Shoniker 

    Welcome. Time to build the foundation below.

    Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

    Check out BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginner's Guide - A fantastic free book that walks through many of the key topics of real estate investing.

    Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having over 70 past ones to catch up on.

    Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses,The Book on Estimating ReHab Costshttp://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

    Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info. Here you will meet wholesalers who provide deals and all the cash buyers (rehabbers) you will need.

    You might consider Niche or Specialized Housing like student housing. Rents can be 2-4 times more. Remember you don't have to own a property to control it.

    Download BP’s newest book here some good due diligence in Chapter 10. Real Estate Rewind Starting over

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/files/user/brandonatbp/file/real-estate-rewind-a-biggerpockets-community-book

    Good luck

    Paul

  • Investor · Huntersville, NC · Member since 2011 · 63 posts · 36 votes
    12y

    Hey @Michael Shoniker 

    Welcome to Charlotte and BP! I live in Charlotte and do some investing. We have a few buy and holds, have done a few flips, and new builds, and getting into wholesaling also. Michelle and I also run a subgroup for Metrolina REIA on the 4th Thursday of every month, which just so happens to be this Thursday. It is call the Lake Norman subgroup, would love to have you out to it to meet other investors in the area. Maybe we can get @Andy DeFruscio to come out since its in his backyard?  Advice from me would be network, network, network, and then some more networking!  Read all you can here and listen to the podcasts.  Good luck!

  • Dave VisayaPro Member
    Moderator
    Audio Engineer and Investor · Cebu City, Cebu · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 881 votes
    12y

    Hey @Michael Shoniker welcome to the site! Glad to meet you here. There are a lot of awesome people here to, so you may want to interact in the forums to find them.

    Also, if you like, you can check this quick guide to learn how to use BiggerPockets to grow your business: http://www.biggerpockets.com/biz

    See you around!

    BiggerPockets
  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Denver, NC · Member since 2014 · 30 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    @Jack Knochel I would love to check it out Thursday. I saw it come up on Facebook but the topic gets cut off and it will not give me any specific info if I click on the subgroup. What is the topic for Thursday night? All I get to see is How to build and operat...

  • Investor · Huntersville, NC · Member since 2011 · 63 posts · 36 votes
    12y

    @Andy DeFruscio 

     The topic this week is estate planning.  We have attorney Eric Kindberg coming to speak with us.  He is a former RE attorney but recently decided to specialize in estate planning.  We get anywhere from 8-20 folks at this subgroup so we never really know how it will turn out.  Hope to see you out there.

  • Mark UpdegraffBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Rochester, NY · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 690 votes
    12y

    @Michael Shoniker  Welcome!  Looking forward to hearing more about your success!  If you get back to Rochester feel free to connect and we can get together :D

    Cheers,
    Mark

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    @Jack Knochel @Andy DeFruscio I'd love to join the subgroup. This Thursday is bad because the girl just got back from Afghanistan and have dinner plans, please do connect via email or text with info on the next meeting! 

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes! 

    Is there more info on the colleague request? I wasn't sure if that was more of a feature that required individuals to work together before the request is sent, or if it's just a leisurely networking tool. Couldn't find much info on it in 'getting started' either. 

    I look forward to helping in any way possible, especially if it's mutually beneficial! I'm all in favor of two way streets :-). 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    12y

    @Michael Shoniker 

    welcome to the site.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.