New Member in Kansas City Metro area

New Member in Kansas City Metro area

Investor · Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2014 · 16 posts · 5 votes

Hi,

I was poking around on a real estate subreddit one day when Bigger Pockets came up. I decided to check it out and, like so many of you, I quickly became hooked.  

My husband and I became landlords when we decided to hold on to our first house in Midtown KC in 2010, after we had found a great deal on a home in Northern Johnson County that was more suitable for raising a family.  According to formulas I'm seeing suggested here, that property (which had been a foreclosure when we bought it) is cash flowing pretty well. Thank goodness for that, as we had only a vague idea of what we were doing when we became landlords. I am managing that property and I'm feeling great about how well it's going.  It helps that we had been Midtown residents for about eight years and really liked the area.  It was interesting to see how realtors we talked had such different attitudes about the city -- we had two respected realtors tell us it was a terrible idea to try to hold on to our house as a rental. That has made me cautious about trusting the advice of real estate professionals.  

We are interested in expanding our buy and hold business, with a focus on duplexes and SFHs.  We are looking at Northern Johnson County, Olathe, and Parkville.  We still like Midtown, but I'm a bit concerned about the age of the homes and the difficulty of finding a good property management company who likes and respects urban properties and tenants.  I plan to manage properties myself up to a certain point, but if we expand beyond five properties it might become an issue.  We will likely stick to the 50% rule as we do deal analysis.

I look forward to connecting with other investors in KC.  

2Reply
58 views

Most Popular Reply

Andrew SyriosPro Member
Moderator
Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
12y

KC is a great market for rentals in my opinion. Welcome aboard and good luck investing!

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    KC is a great market for rentals in my opinion. Welcome aboard and good luck investing!

  • Investor · Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2014 · 16 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    @Andrew Syrios  Thank you!  Any thoughts on the other markets I mentioned?  Or were you referring to the KC metro area as a whole?  I'm wondering if narrowing our focus would be a good idea.  

  • Real Estate Broker · Leawood, KS · Member since 2013 · 150 posts · 23 votes
    12y

    @Account Closed Welcome to BP! Like Andrew mentioned KC is a great market for rentals! I think you are right on track with some of the areas your mentioned, they all offer good things.  After the all the research is done, It always comes down to comfort level for me. 

    Best of luck!

    Cheers, 

    Ray 

  • Investor · Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2014 · 16 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    @Ray Orellano Thank you. Comfort level may translate to physical proximity in the near term, considering that we want to self manage for as long as possible.  So it may be Northern JOCO for the next property.  

  • Real Estate Investor · Roeland Park, KS · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    12y

    Welcome to BP! I'm currently in the market for SFH homes and duplexes in similar areas. I look forward to hearing about your success!

  • Investor · Smithville, MO · Member since 2014 · 160 posts · 19 votes
    12y

    @Account Closed - welcome!

    That is awesome that your rental property is cash flowing...even without a $999 investor guru "helping" you - lol!

    I have access to several different parts of town due to my 9-5.  However, I am finding it's almost overwhelming with the number of opportunities.  I'm in the process of narrowing my focus areas.

    Check out the podcasts when you get a chance!  I've listened to the first 60 or 61 so far...incredible information!

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Account Closed 

    Welcome to Biggerpockets!

    We are also buy and hold investors who got started by buying a foreclosure. We gutted the house and than rented it out when we leave.

    My husband is active duty Navy so we live a VERY transient life. We got started through buying a personal property fixing it up and than renting it out. I self manage all of our properties because it allows me to save management fees and have more control over the product. Oh, does it have its moments but it has been great overall. We don't follow any of the 1%, 2%, or 50% rules and ahve done very well.

    Perosnal properties have a lower down payment and interest rate so it was a great way for us to get started. As we have succeeded we have than added to it with true personals. My website talks about our philiosophies but also have alot about working with tenants and how to work with tenants. We have done very well with our single family because we have learned how to manage our margins and our tenant relations.

    Again, welcome and I look forward to seeing you on the forums.

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome to BP community @Account Closed  It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more. Here are a few recommendations for you:

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet

    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

    Wishing you the best! 

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Hey @Account Closed  welcome to BiggerPockets! You've definitely come to the right place to learn more about investing. If you haven't yet, be sure to check out the The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing and The BiggerPockets Podcast. They are both great at learning the fundamentals.

    Have you read this post yet? You might enjoy it: How to Buy a Small MultiFamily Property: A Step by Step Case Study

    Oh - and don't forget to set up your Keyword Alerts!

    See you around the site!

  • Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 491 votes
    12y

    Welcome @Account Closed !  It's kind of funny that a realtor is telling you that holding on to rental property is a bad idea.  Read: "I won't get a commission!" 

    It's good to see that you are having success early on in your business!  I wish you the best of luck and look forward to hearing more from you as you grow!

  • Rental Property Investor · Kansas City, KS · Member since 2014 · 604 posts · 222 votes
    12y

    @Frankie Woods - That's exactly what I was thinking! :) 

  • Rental Property Investor · Kansas City, KS · Member since 2014 · 604 posts · 222 votes
    12y

    Oh! And welcome to BiggerPockets @Account Closed ! :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2012 · 74 posts · 43 votes
    12y

    Welcome @Lesa Childers !  We also self-manage for now and like to have properties within 20 minutes from home, preferably in between my husband's current job and our house.  It definitely makes things easier- for us that means Clay County primarily, although Platte County would work too- we just don't find as many great cash-flow deals there.  My only knowledge of Johnson County is that sales prices are very high, compared to surrounding areas, and considering what you can get for rent.  But that doesn't mean there is never a deal.  Midtown is probably similar.  My sister and her husband have a duplex in Waldo that cash flows really well.  Persistence in looking and patience in waiting (or making) the right deal is key!  I think in more difficult areas, like Johnson County, you might really have to do some marketing (yellow letters, postcards, etc) to get some deals.  And definitely check out the BP podcasts- I think I'm on #45.  We've flipped for years and now do buy and hold, so we've had a decent amount of experience, but we are still learning a lot from those podcasts, and some of the great blog articles here on BP!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.