New Member from Madison/Janesville, WI

New Member from Madison/Janesville, WI

Investor · Windsor, WI · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 15 votes

Just wanted to take the time to introduce myself. At 33, I've been interested in real estate for about a year now, and took the first 6 months to study Real Estate on our own (my wife and I). Not wanting to jump in before knowing what I was doing, I read about 30+ books, listened to every BP podcast, read countless posts and blogs, and joined our local Madison REIA. I find it fascinating, and am most interested in buy and hold investing.

In April my wife and I bought our first house (first time homeowners) with a no money down VA loan on a foreclosure with instant equity. We took out a HELOC for the remaining 100% and bought a 2-flat about 3 months later. We purchased at 75% ARV with cash (HELOC), refinanced up to 85%, added the extra funds to the pot and bought a SFR two months after that with the same gameplan (this time 80% ARV with cash, then refinanced to get our money back plus some). We close on our 3rd investment property (duplex) in a couple days, for yet another estimated 70% ARV cash purchase. Four houses, none of our own money, plus a bit in the growing pot for the next opportunity, and the investments still cash flow. Again, this is why I find it fascinating. It sure beats the stock market.

I joined BiggerPockets because I want to keep learning about RE investing, and I want to develop contacts with fellow like-minded investors.  In addition, I know at some point I'll be looking for lenders when the banks hit their max, so I want to develop those relations now in preparation for when they will be handy in the future.  I live near Madison, but have found the best values to be in the Edgerton and Janesville areas.  Also interested in DeForest, Sun Prairie, Cottage Grove, and Stoughton.  

Finally, at our REIA meeting I learned the possibilities of RE investing tax-free through retirement accounts. That is a game changer, and that is top my priority list to figure out. All our retirement funds are in Roth IRAs, but Roth Solo 401k is where I want to be (party island). Look forward to anyone who wants to say hi, and I look forward to joining the adventure with you.

2Reply
12 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brett SynickyPro Member
    Solo 401k and SDIRA Consultant · Orange, CA · Member since 2013 · 873 posts · 498 votes
    11y

    Hi @Pete Sailhamer 

    Welcome to the site.  You've been busy!

  • Investor · Windsor, WI · Member since 2014 · 73 posts · 15 votes
    11y

    Thanks Brett.  Busy, but having fun!

  • Jon HuberPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    11y

    @Pete Sailhamer 

    Welcome to the community! Be sure to be as active and engaging as you can. This site offers a tremendous amount of information, but only if you seek it out. Read the blogs, post your questions, and the podcasts are amazing. Congrats on listening to them all. The best free education you can get. Good luck out there.

  • Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 491 votes
    11y

    @Pete Sailhamer 

    Welcome to BP!  You seem to have a great plan in place!  Take advantage of the great content and even better people offered here! 

  • Investor · Janesville, WI · Member since 2013 · 180 posts · 155 votes
    11y

    Great story and good choice of location! Sounds like you are jumping out of the blocks quickly and we may end up crossing paths with eachother down the road here! Do you mind sharing what you paid for the properties and what they rent for/cashflow? It's always fun to hear what good deals others have found.

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    11y

    Pete midwest welcome to biggerpockets

    Welcome aboard

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    Welcome to BP community @Pete Sailhamer  It is a great place to meet new friends and learn about various aspects of real estate and more. Here are a few recommendations for you:

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet

    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

    Wishing you the best! 

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Welcome aboard.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.