New Member from Metro Atlanta ( Cumming, GA )

New Member from Metro Atlanta ( Cumming, GA )

Involved In Real Estate · Cumming, GA · Member since 2012 · 7 posts · 4 votes

Hello everyone!

My name is Tony Jordan and I’m glad to finally become a member of the BP community. Not really sure why it took me so long to do this, because I’ve been using this great site for several years and enjoying every minute of it. Shame on me for waiting so long!

My background is in the tech space as I’m an electrical engineer from GA Tech ( 83). I’ve spent about 30 years in the corporate world doing everything from chip design to Area Sales management with large corporations and start-ups.

My wife and I bought our first 2 rentals in 2001 and had no idea what we were doing. Worse yet, we treated these as personal property vs treating them as a business. We hated it. And we spent too many sleepless nights worrying about them. To make matters worse I was traveling all the time and the management was left mostly to my wife.

Then during the housing crash my wife noticed how much the prices had fallen and suggested we re-evaluate what we were doing. We decided to educate ourselves in land-lording and to treat this as a business/investment and understand the numbers.

This is about the time that I first noticed BP and how it stood out as a resource like none other. From the forums to the podcasts, I can’t tell you how much knowledge we’ve gained and I know I’m only scratching the surface.

Since 2010 we've been acquiring 3-4 SFR as rentals per year and we are currently at 19. Our current goal is to reach 30 by 2018.

The big news this year is that I was laid off at the end of March enabling me to do what I’ve had a passion for – Real Estate Investing …full time.

I also just received my RE license in GA just a few weeks ago and hope to leverage that both as an investor as well as another stream of cash flow.

In addition to the buy and hold plans, I’m very interested in learning the note business.

I look forward to being a more active part of this community, and I’d really like to network more especially with others in the Metro Atlanta Area.

Happy New Year to all and here’s to a great 2015!

2Reply
21 views

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y

    @Tony Jordan 

    welcome to the site.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Cumming, GA · Member since 2012 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    Thanks James

  • Real Estate Lender · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 43 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    @Tony Jordan 

    Welcome. I am an investor in the Metro Atlanta area.

    I know this city very well, let me know if I can do anything to assist.

    I have a couple rentals and have done flips but getting more interested in small MFH's and notes in the near future.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Cumming, GA · Member since 2012 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    Good to meet you online Ardie

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Welcome to Biggerpockets!

    You found the place to be! You will find no better place to build a solid platform than bigger pockets. The one thing we all agree up on is that we invest in real estate. Beyond that everyone has a different niche!

    Congrats on your number of homes! That is amazing. I love real estate and am hoping that we have grown out houses large enough so that the next transfer (active duty military) I can stay unemployed and manage/grow our investments!

    We are buy and hold investors who invest in class A properties self-managing from a distance while both working full time. So we do work on furthering our careers. We live very frugally allowing us to live off of one income and save the other. We have further our career and used the W2 income to leverage our real estate portfolio.

    I highly recommend you also check out- the blogs, forums and listen to the podcasts. If you see a post you enjoy check out the persons signature. As many of us have created resources around our niche (websites, blogs, etc) so checking out the signature is a great to get more information. Make sure you don't miss out on networking is by filling out your signature, profile and pming people with questions.

    Look forward to seeing you around! It will be awesome to hear about how you finance your properties! We are currently using conventional 30 years but know we will max them out sooner than later on our current path!

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    11y

    Hi Tony,

    Sometimes fate works in mysterious ways. Real estate is a fun path for sure. Something new every day.

  • Developer · Decatur, GA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Tony Jordan Welcome to BP.  Saw your post on Dealmakers as well.  

    Congrats on the career change.  I hope you enjoy the switch to full time.  See you around!

  • Involved In Real Estate · Cumming, GA · Member since 2012 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    @Elizabeth Colegrove 

    Thank you for your reply.  Wow, I'm impressed at investing at a distance and self managing while both of you are working! 

    @Joel Owens 

    Yeah, this has been a very interesting year. Lots of soul searching, but I think I've found my direction. Do you attend N GA REIA or GA REAI?

    @Rick Baggenstoss 

    Hey Rick, thank you as well for the reply.  Yep, just wondering about advantages/disadvantages of RE license and investing.  I've heard quite a few of both from the forums and podcasts and always looking to get opinions.  I'll see where this takes me.

    Maybe we can catchup at one of the GA REIA mtgs.
     

  • Dave VisayaPro Member
    Moderator
    Audio Engineer and Investor · Cebu City, Cebu · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 881 votes
    11y

    Hey @Tony Jordan welcome to the site and thanks for introducing yourself! Definitely jump right in the community here and truly hope you become more active. See ya!

    BiggerPockets
  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Hey @Tony Jordan welcome to the site! It's great to have you!

  • Involved In Real Estate · Cumming, GA · Member since 2012 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    @Dave Visaya, @Brandon Turner 

    I'm very proud to be a part of this community.. thx

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    11y

    Hi Tony,

    I do not attend investor meetings regularly.

    I stay busy working with clients.

  • Lender · San Diego, CA · Member since 2011 · 664 posts · 231 votes
    11y

    Welcome to the site. Best of luck to you on your investing.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 49 posts · 12 votes
    11y

    Hey Tony, welcome aboard froma fellow Georgian!  We just started building our portfolio.  Not as far along as you guys but working at it one buy and hold at a time.  I was wondering what you meant in your original post by you treated your first investment as "personal property".  Where you making unneeded improvements?  Befriending the tenants?

  • Real Estate Broker · Johns Creek, GA · Member since 2009 · 870 posts · 664 votes
    11y

    Tony Jordan

    Hi Tony. I am pretty much in your backyard in Johns Creek. Welcome to Bigger Pockets!

    -James 

  • Involved In Real Estate · Cumming, GA · Member since 2012 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    @Bruce May   Thank you

    @Rob Gleason   Keep chugging along.  It takes persistence.  What I meant by personal property is that we were not treating the rentals as a "business".  Its a long story, but we didn't buy the first rental as an investment.  I wanted to build a shop to restore my 82 Vette and in my county you cant build a stand alone building on raw land??? So I had to buy property with a house on it and call the building an external garage.  So now we had a house that needed to be rehabbed and rented first.  It went well and quickly rented and we did another house shortly thereafter.  But we didnt have the business mindset when we did it. We would get deeply offended and upset when renters didn't pay, destroyed things, etc.. and lose sleep...  not that that doesnt happen occasionally now but we understand that we have a process in place to deal with those things.  Also as a business I started to model the numbers and set expectations of cashflow and monitor progress. Then we put processes in inplace to scale the business.  Sorry for the long reply. Hope this answers the questions. 

    @James Park   Hello.  Yes I know John's Creek .  In fact I met an old friend for lunch there last week.  Thanks for the welcome.

  • Real Estate Agent / Realtor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 40 posts · 18 votes
    11y

    Hi Tony!

    Welcome to the site. I lurked for a while, and recently joined as well when I took a position with a wholesale brokerage here in Atlanta. It's been a great 2-tiered resource for me. Networking, obviously,  and learning as I do intend to start my own investing in the next year or two. I'm also in the process of rebuilding an old car- a 1977 Porsche 911 I bought a few years back. Check out Holtwheels Motorsports in Marietta for bodywork if you haven't gotten to that point yet.

    Are there specific areas you've been buying in? Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like help locating more homes. 

  • Jon HuberPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    11y

    @Tony Jordan

    Welcome to the community! BP has a tremendous amount of information to help you, but it is only available if you seek it out. Be sure to be as active and engaging as possible. Read blogs, post questions, and the podcasts are gold! The best free education you can get. Good luck!

  • Involved In Real Estate · Cumming, GA · Member since 2012 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    @G.A. Miller  Hello.  Good luck on restoring the Porsche.  I invest in Forsyth, Dawson and Hall counties.

    @Jon Huber   Thank you for the welcome.

  • Specialist · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 639 posts · 176 votes
    11y

    Welcome Tony, this business is an ongoing learning curve for us all. Good luck with your deals!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.