I've been researching on this site for about a month and finally decided I need to join the forums and start networking and asking question.
I'm a small business owner in Fort Collins, CO and have always had an interest in REI. I decided I'm at that point it's time to either s*%t or get off the pot.
I would love to learn and eventually get into renovation and flipping, but I think I want to "get my feet wet" with buying an owner occupied income property. Especially since I don't own any property yet and it's to the point I need to, so a multifamily seems like a win/win scenario.
Welcome Kyle! BP is a great source for information and networking. I love having another guy from Fort Collins on the site!
Welcom Kyle.
BP is a great place to start , especially if you want to house hac as brandon turner would say . :)
BP is a great resource. Full of great tips and reads. One tip that I picked up here is while you are starting out and saving money for your investments, start driving / visiting areas you would like to invest in so you get a feel for prices, rents , house conditions etc, and visit and look at lots of homes and open houses so your eye get used to looking at repairs / upgrades that are normal in a particular market. I really dont think you can look at too many properties, and the more you look, the more knowledge you will gain for that market
Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having over 100 past ones to catch up on, several which deal with owner occupied invenstmetn housing
ken
Funny you mention checking out neighborhoods and the podcast. I'm subscribed to the BP YouTube channel and have been listening to them the last few days. Also detoured a few times when running errands through neighborhoods checking out areas.
Welcome Kyle! BP is a great source for information and networking. I love having another guy from Fort Collins on the site!
Nice to see another FoCo guy as well. I've looked and saw we have a few around here. Always up for coffee or lunch to pick the brains of the experienced guys around here.
Hey @Kyle Blake welcome to BiggerPockets and @Kenneth Hynes meant House hack, which you can learn more here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/11/0...
Rock on!
Hey @Kyle Blake welcome to BiggerPockets and @Kenneth Hynes meant House hack, which you can learn more here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/11/0...
Rock on!
House hacking is my plan for getting started. In this city. you pay out the nose to rent, so it's time to be on the other side of that scenario. Earlier today I was listening to your podcast on how to analyze, and finance a rental opportunity.
Welcome to BigggerPockets! Below are some links to get you started. Much success to you!
I received this info from @Nathan Sharp when I first started.
https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/11/02/hack-housing-get-paid-live-free/ (House hacking)
https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/03/13/investing-multifamily-ben-leybovich/ (Podcast 061 - How to succeed in multifamily investing)
https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/04/09/how-to-buy-a-small-multifamily-property/ (How to buy a small multifamily property)
https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/11/16/how-to-choose-areas-multifamily-deals/ (Choosing multi-family deals)
http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/07/19/how-to-buy-a-duplex/(guide to buying a duplex)
https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/12/12/bp-podcast-048-duplex-managing-tenants-darren-sager/ (Duplex investing)
Now that you have made the move, below are some links that will help with the navigation of the site.
https://www.biggerpockets.com/courses/a-beginners-introduction-to-real-estate-investing (video courses)
https://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing (Ultimate beginner's guide to REI)
Before your 1st purchase, please ensure you visit the below link for some tips.
https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/12/19/real-estate-investing-success-smart-tips/
REI books suggested by BPers
https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/11/13/7-real-estate-books-beginner-investors/ (7 absolute must read books for beginner REIs)
http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/04/14/best-real-estate-books/?utm_source=search&utm_medium=internal&utm_campaign=books (books recommended by BPers)
Simply, expand knowledge in such as, Forums, Marketplace, Learn, Network, Analyze and Resources.
Continue to feast on the BP Podcasts, #askbp Podcasts, BP blogs and BP webinars.