Investor from Sydney Au headed to Florida

Investor from Sydney Au headed to Florida

Investor · Sydney, New South Wales · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 7 votes

Hi

Just realised I had better introduce myself before I get entirely lost in the volumes of reading available in here. I found this forum via a recommendation from @EngeloRumero a fellow Aussie whose successes I've been following and admiring for the last few years.

I'm currently doing my homework to head to Florida in March. Since I joined yesterday I've been listening to podcasts and reading threads. I want to send a huge thank you to everyone here who is contributing as I already have eleventy billion windows open on my desktop, after reading possibly twice that and listening to more property podcasts than I've listened to in 24hrs in my life. I'm currently listening to the Grant Cordone 10x podcast and reading about Tampa neighbourhoods.

Here in Australia I've been buying, flipping and holding SFRs and commercial properties in east coast regions and metro cities . I'm ready to take the leap stateside to see how big I can grow this but this is entirely different to my previous experience which I'm pushing aside to start my learning anew.

I've narrowed down my search from multiple states to Florida with my top 3 major cities of Tampa, Orlando and Jacksonville (in order). For the time being I'll focus on Tampa and learning about the neighbourhoods before building my team. Any information you can share will be gratefully received and I'd love for people to contact me and share what you can.

An enormous thank you for all the sharing, support and enthusiasm you're all offering. Forgive me if I use incorrect terminology; I'm still a newb and a foreigner at that! 

I'm looking forward to meeting up with some of you soon.

Regards

Maryanne Sweet

4Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Fort Walton Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 568 posts · 966 votes
10y

Welcome to BP! I have family in Sydney and NZ and property prices are through the roof! Are you going to liquidate your properties or hold them?

@Edwin E. is an investor relocating to Tampa as well and may be a good connection to have.

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Sydney, New South Wales · Member since 2015 · 64 posts · 19 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Maryanne Sweet:

    Hi

    Just realised I had better introduce myself before I get entirely lost in the volumes of reading available in here. I found this forum via a recommendation from @EngeloRumero a fellow Aussie whose successes I've been following and admiring for the last few years.

    ...

    Regards

    Maryanne Sweet

     Welcome Maryanne! I am in Sydney too!

  • Investor · Palm harbor /tarpon springs, FL · Member since 2015 · 39 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP!!

    Tampa is a good area, but deals are getting harder and harder to find, but there are still some good ones if you put your time in and know the area, wholesalers and how to spot a good deal.

    I recommend going to one of the local REIA meetings and meeting like minded individuals, also meeting contractors like my self that deal with mainly investors, there are a lot of contractors that will take advantage of someone they know is new to the area a doesn't know they don't know.

    When you get here, message me and I can always point you in the right direction in the way of your rehab and with contractors, get you to a REAI meeting and introduce you to some wholesalers.

    Again welcome to BP, and look forward to seeing you when you get here.

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Maryanne Sweet:

    Hi

    Just realised I had better introduce myself before I get entirely lost in the volumes of reading available in here. I found this forum via a recommendation from @EngeloRumero a fellow Aussie whose successes I've been following and admiring for the last few years.

    I'm currently doing my homework to head to Florida in March. Since I joined yesterday I've been listening to podcasts and reading threads. I want to send a huge thank you to everyone here who is contributing as I already have eleventy billion windows open on my desktop, after reading possibly twice that and listening to more property podcasts than I've listened to in 24hrs in my life. I'm currently listening to the Grant Cordone 10x podcast and reading about Tampa neighbourhoods.

    Here in Australia I've been buying, flipping and holding SFRs and commercial properties in east coast regions and metro cities . I'm ready to take the leap stateside to see how big I can grow this but this is entirely different to my previous experience which I'm pushing aside to start my learning anew.

    I've narrowed down my search from multiple states to Florida with my top 3 major cities of Tampa, Orlando and Jacksonville (in order). For the time being I'll focus on Tampa and learning about the neighbourhoods before building my team. Any information you can share will be gratefully received and I'd love for people to contact me and share what you can.

    An enormous thank you for all the sharing, support and enthusiasm you're all offering. Forgive me if I use incorrect terminology; I'm still a newb and a foreigner at that! 

    I'm looking forward to meeting up with some of you soon.

    Regards

    Maryanne Sweet

    Bigger Pockets is the place to be :)

    Welcome to the hundreds of email notifications you will start receiving as soon as you set up your keyword search haha

  • Wholesaler · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 168 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP, The US, Florida and the Tampa market. There is indeed A LOT of information here about our market and about investing in general. Make sure to check out the podcasts, other forums and our local REIA's. Where is Florida are you heading to? I might be able to give you some pointers depending on the area of Florida. I was once a musician and have been up and down this great state many times. Let me know how I can help.

  • Real estate investing · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 91 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP and an advance Welcome to Florida!! We would love to see you in Jacksonville and there are plenty of people here to help get you settled and ready to do deals in this great city and state. Whichever city you decide to live in, they will be lucky to have you. 

    Stacy

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2008 · 551 posts · 159 votes
    10y

    @Maryanne Sweet welcome to BP and of course welcome to Florida as well. 

  • Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 280 posts · 53 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Maryanne Sweet:

    Hi

    Just realised I had better introduce myself before I get entirely lost in the volumes of reading available in here. I found this forum via a recommendation from @EngeloRumero a fellow Aussie whose successes I've been following and admiring for the last few years.

    I'm currently doing my homework to head to Florida in March. Since I joined yesterday I've been listening to podcasts and reading threads. I want to send a huge thank you to everyone here who is contributing as I already have eleventy billion windows open on my desktop, after reading possibly twice that and listening to more property podcasts than I've listened to in 24hrs in my life. I'm currently listening to the Grant Cordone 10x podcast and reading about Tampa neighbourhoods.

    Here in Australia I've been buying, flipping and holding SFRs and commercial properties in east coast regions and metro cities . I'm ready to take the leap stateside to see how big I can grow this but this is entirely different to my previous experience which I'm pushing aside to start my learning anew.

    I've narrowed down my search from multiple states to Florida with my top 3 major cities of Tampa, Orlando and Jacksonville (in order). For the time being I'll focus on Tampa and learning about the neighbourhoods before building my team. Any information you can share will be gratefully received and I'd love for people to contact me and share what you can.

    An enormous thank you for all the sharing, support and enthusiasm you're all offering. Forgive me if I use incorrect terminology; I'm still a newb and a foreigner at that! 

    I'm looking forward to meeting up with some of you soon.

    Regards

    Maryanne Sweet

     Hi Maryanne,

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets!

  • Real Estate Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2013 · 474 posts · 214 votes
    10y

    @Maryanne Sweet

    Just out of curiosity, how are you coming to the states? Are you a citizen or a VISA holder? 

    Florida is a good state to start in. There is a wide variety of properties and geographic areas. Good blue collar working neighborhoods, wealthy coastal areas, and retirees. Jacksonville is a bit less sexy than the others but if you make your way here feel free to reach out. There's a very friendly REI community here. :)

  • Investor/RE Broker · Eugene, OR · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 968 votes
    10y

    @Maryanne Sweet Hi and welcome to BP!  I have Jacksonville to be an excellent place to invest, especially as other Florida markets have inflated prices so quickly.

  • Investor · Fort Walton Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 568 posts · 966 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP! I have family in Sydney and NZ and property prices are through the roof! Are you going to liquidate your properties or hold them?

    @Edwin E. is an investor relocating to Tampa as well and may be a good connection to have.

  • Investor · Sydney, New South Wales · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 7 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Maxwell Lee:

    @Maryanne Sweet

    Just out of curiosity, how are you coming to the states? Are you a citizen or a VISA holder? 

    Florida is a good state to start in. There is a wide variety of properties and geographic areas. Good blue collar working neighborhoods, wealthy coastal areas, and retirees. Jacksonville is a bit less sexy than the others but if you make your way here feel free to reach out. There's a very friendly REI community here. :)

    I've met some turnkey investors from Jacksonville and made a couple of connections there. The numbers stack up in Jacksonville and there could be still room for growth IMO. I'm interested in similar areas where there is a sound local economy and plenty of opportunity combined with lifestyle. I'm bringing my family so we're not chasing the beautiful people glamour thing; we're chasing something far more real lol. I'll initially be visiting as an eyes wide open investor. Looking to connect with and learn about the communities I'll be investing in with a view to make it a more permanent location for us.

  • Investor · Sydney, New South Wales · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 7 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Arianne L.:

    Welcome to BP! I have family in Sydney and NZ and property prices are through the roof! Are you going to liquidate your properties or hold them?

    @Edwin E. is an investor relocating to Tampa as well and may be a good connection to have.

     Hi Arianne.

    To start with we won't be liquidating but drawing on existing equity. We have discussed liquidating but capital gains tax would hit us hard here so we'd prefer to hold. But always the numbers have to work for us.

    Things have been crazy in some areas and Sydney in particular is going through an enormous growth phase. I hope it can be maintained. 

    We were looking at a relocation anyway. My husband has some long service leave and needs a career break and before our children start school I figured one big learning curve with a potential for a payoff rather than a traditional holiday  would be a rather large adventure for us.

  • Investor · Sydney, New South Wales · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 7 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Welcome to BP, The US, Florida and the Tampa market. There is indeed A LOT of information here about our market and about investing in general. Make sure to check out the podcasts, other forums and our local REIA's. Where is Florida are you heading to? I might be able to give you some pointers depending on the area of Florida. I was once a musician and have been up and down this great state many times. Let me know how I can help.

     Hi Jonathon

    I'm looking at Tampa and the Bay area. Haven't got any neighbourhoods locked in yet so if you can help with a starting point. We like a low entry point with room for growth but low crime and good public schooling and family friendly things (parks,waterways, bicycle and running paths etc). I'm hoping to secure a multi family to stay in while we're there and if we can stretch ourselves to an additional fixn flip I'd be really happy as it will give me some additional cash for the next two projects beyond. Will be wanting to join local community groups as well as REIA meetups.

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP! Tampa will help you reach your goals whether you decide to flip or hold. Deals are indeed harder to find but there are a few up and coming neighborhoods that will grow in 2016. Goodluck!

  • Investor · Fleming Island, FL · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP! 

    Sounds like you have already dove in head first with all the information available on BP. It is a great resource and so many people are willing to help. 

    You may find it interesting that Tampa and Jacksonville are named two of the lowest tax cities. I am a realtor in the Jacksonville area and am happy to help you anyway that I can. Good luck with your new venture! 

    Joy 

  • Jacksonville Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 115 posts · 19 votes
    10y

    Nice @Joy Hardin I have not seen that list before... Thanks for sharing.

  • Wholesaler · Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 168 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    Ok great then we really need to talk. Welcome to the Tampa Area and let me know when you get in town. First of let me recommend a good REIA for you: TBREIA (http://www.tbreia.com/) They are awesome. There a a lot of people to meet, lots of great contacts to make and lots of free education. However they focus on wholesaling but that doesn't mean that there are not a lot of investors, which there are. I make at least 10 contacts in every meeting, I like to meet other wholesalers but my main focus is other investors and trust me they are there. Any how as far as the area, I will say that while it is possible to find some multifamily properties in good parts of town, most of them are in the not so good parts of town. So keep that in mind, but it is possible to find some. What I recommend is try to attend all the REAI's in the area, and maybe find a local mentor who can educated you about the local market. Driving for dollars also helps to get to know your market.

  • Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2014 · 71 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    @Maryanne Sweet I look forward to helping you and your husband out if you are ever in need of my services.  Thank you @Arianne L. for the introduction!  Mrs. Sweet I will be relocating to Tampa in the first part of March.  However I have done many loans in Jacksonville, and the pan handle as well as looking to expand into the Tampa area.  Please feel free to reach out at any time!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.