Professionals, Why I don't see many mobile home investments?

Professionals, Why I don't see many mobile home investments?

Brookhaven, MS · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 7 votes

I don't see the community talk about investing in mobile homes! Buying land used trailers and renting them out? I know it has to do with location but I still don't see many stories on them. What ya'll think? 

0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper/Rehabber · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 328 posts · 252 votes
10y

@Antonio Evans

Hi

There are lots of folks here in Bigger Pockets who do mobile home deals all the time. Even some who do it exclusively. Like me.

Check the blog out.

Have fun!

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 328 posts · 252 votes
    10y

    @Antonio Evans

    Hi

    There are lots of folks here in Bigger Pockets who do mobile home deals all the time. Even some who do it exclusively. Like me.

    Check the blog out.

    Have fun!

  • Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2016 · 716 posts · 313 votes
    10y

    Mobiles lose value over time vs house .I am sure you could cut your teeth on a mobile home as a rental but  will not go up value.

    Study up on the topic see what the numbers are there are many ways to make money ,then stash the cash move up to a house !

  • Wholesaler · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2008 · 21 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    Mr.Evans,

    Great questions. Based on my experience in years in Real Estate Investing, Mobile home market is kind of like an acquired taste. No one really like that market due to the low returns and the variable down side. The initial investment is more affordable, however the returns are all relative as well. You really cant build strong equity on them. The only favorable situation for a mobile home is one built on a permanent foundation. Which is a mobile home secured on a concrete footing with the wheel base removed. I recall Berkshire Hathaway purchased  Clayton homes and loans  back in 2003. Which they have cornered  that industry in construction and lending. If you take their cue , I guess there is money to be made there. If you have the acquired taste for it.   

  • Investor · Juneau, AK · Member since 2015 · 980 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    The comments highlight some of the issues. It is a niche and some do well at it. But what said it all for me was watching the excavator across from my multiplex devour and crush ten 30 year old double wides...... They apparently were not worth saving and had reached the end of their useful life (the ultimate depreciation) and actually were some expense to dispose of....meanwhile, all the single family homes and multiplexes have appreciated handsomely and still generate rents.... Just a unique market and, as noted, generally not technically real estate unless permanently affixed to the ground and on its own lot....best of luck.....

  • Investor · Coppell, TX · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 646 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Antonio Evans:

    I don't see the community talk about investing in mobile homes! Buying land used trailers and renting them out? I know it has to do with location but I still don't see many stories on them. What ya'll think? 

     Hello and welcome to BP!  You are right.  There is just a few podcasts and articles.  It might mean there is not much competition.  It can be a good way to go.  Location is real important as well as common area maintanence.  Good access and exit are very important as well as good cash flow.  Always do the numbers and make sure they are real.  If you feel good about it, then make an offer.  Trust your gut.  Good luck!

  • Investor · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 495 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP @Antonio Evans -there is an entire forum here dedicated to Mobile Home Parks and Mobile Home Investing.  You will find a ton of information there on the subject and, a lot of professionals willing to answer any question you might have.  Have fun and enjoy.  

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 328 posts · 252 votes
    10y

    OK

    Nice comments but...

    Most rentals do not net for several years. Foreclosures were good, then not, I think they'll be good again. Called "Housing Bubble".

    Through it all, affordable housing is needed. That's what I deal with.

    Not without experience. I started investing in 1999 and did 160 stick built deals until 2009 when the market crash forced me to stop.

    Started back in 2012 when the market started coming back. However, I didn't like what I saw in the market and chose to go with mobile homes.

    Low cost of entry and 'Yuge' (as Trump says) returns.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.