Newbie in Washington DC, Baltimore MD area

Newbie in Washington DC, Baltimore MD area

Rental Property Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2017 · 176 posts · 37 votes

Dear All,

I am really interested in investment, especially REI. I am actively increasing my knowledge and experience to work toward the goal of becoming a savvy real estate investor. I like the idea of having financial freedom and the control for the things we do. I welcome any investment opportunity. I am interested in learning new things and meeting people. If you have the same goal as I do, please drop me a message. I will be more than happy to discuss with you about the potentiality to work together.

I am interested in the real estate investment in the area (but not limited to) of Washington, DC, Maryland, and Virginia.

Currently, I am holding an academic/clinic faculty appointment in the department of radiation oncology in university hospital. I have a PhD in Physics with strong problem solving and data analysis skill. I always plan things well in advance. I have led clinic and research team. Although REI is new to me, I hope my strong problem solving, analytical, and management skill can grow our investment with fruitful outcome.

Sincerely,

Ken 

0Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y
Ken Wang Welcome to BP! The saying goes "there are a 1000 ways of making money in real estate". I think you're the right track! As a multifamily investor and still working in the healthcare industry, I can relate to your situation. Please feel free to reach out if you have anymore questions. Thanks! - Ola
See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • BiggerPockets Support · Manila, Philippines · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 148 votes
    9y

    @Ken Wang

    Welcome to the BiggerPockets community!
    Glad to have you with us.

    BiggerPockets
  • Rental Property Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2017 · 176 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    Thank you Rachelle :). You are the first response for my 1st post in BP! Nice to meet you and hope to learn more from you in the near future.

    Ken

  • Professional · Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Ken Wang

    You have come to the right place to connect with the wide array of real estate professionals and investors. Make sure to view the Bigger Pockets book store: https://www.biggerpockets.com/store

  • Rental Property Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2017 · 176 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    @Mark Nolan

    Thanks Mark! Yes, I found the BP has a lot educational resources and it is a quite open forum for everyone. I am also glad that I can meet professional like you. 

    Sincerely, 

    Ken

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y

    Welcome to BP @Ken Wang. there a ton of experienced and very active members here on BP from our area. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2017 · 176 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    Hi @Ned Carey, guess what? I was just reading your blog, and intro. I was thinking wow, I can learn a lot from this guy. So happy to meet you and please let me know what I can do to help your investment or maybe work together. Sincerely, Ken

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y

    @Ken Wang There are a lot of investing groups in the area. There is one In Columbia that I went to for the first time last week.

    What Kind of investing do you want to do and where do you want to do it?

  • Rental Property Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2017 · 176 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    @Ned Carey, Is the meet up group in Nottingham's Columbia? I plan to go there for the March meeting. Any recommendation for the investment group? 

    I am new to the REI although we (my wife and I) have bought few properties. I am looking for the best REI strategy for my situation, because I am holding a full time job in hospital. I am thinking buy and hold strategy as start, maybe multifamily. I haven't decided which area I want to invest although I have been looking in the area around DC, like, Derwood, Rockville, Fairfax & Falls Church. I would like to learn more from experienced guys like you, so I can have confidence for the 1st "real" deal.

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y

    Yes I went to Nottinghams for the first time last Wednesday. My friend @Account Closed He is active here and really knows his stuff. 

  • Investor · Carnegie, PA · Member since 2014 · 259 posts · 144 votes
    9y

    @Ken Wang Welcome to BP! There's tons of good info here and people always willing to help. Best of luck with everything.

  • Rental Property Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2017 · 176 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    Thanks lot @Ned Carey for introducing me to Russell and Mark! I am also not limited to these areas but I am also interested in Baltimore, like Towson. I am working in Hopkins. Do you have any advice or your article you can point me to read? Thanks, Ken

  • Lender · Falls Church, VA · Member since 2016 · 41 posts · 22 votes
    9y

    @Ken Wang Welcome to BP! I can tell you I am more familiar with the DMV area, especially inside the beltway. There are a lot of meetups around here in NOVA as well. I am getting started as well and would be more than happy to help you with anything you may need or anything you may want to know about the DMV area. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2017 · 176 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    @Matt Faix thank you for your message. Glad to know that you are in Pittsburg area. My best wish to your company! Ken 

  • Rental Property Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2017 · 176 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    Hi @Gunnar Sevart, thank you for your message. I will keep you message in mind. Best regards, Ken

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
    9y
    Many avenues exist to achieve your goals. Freedom is typically earned through income independence. Buy, rehab, rent, refi, property manager, cash flow. collect checks. Positive Cash flow= income exceeds expenses. Best strategy: get someone to spill the beans on their success by massaging their ego, copy off of them. Tons of people helping their competition on here, copy away
  • William BrownPro Member
    Wholesaler · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 276 posts · 181 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    ...

    Best strategy: get someone to spill the beans on their success by massaging their ego, copy off of them. Tons of people helping their competition on here, copy away

     I love it!

  • Lender · Rosedale, MD · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 6 votes
    9y
    Hey Ken Wang welcome to BP, I'm new to investing and I m in the same areas as you are. However I have the inside scoop on a few things, well at least I like to think I do lol. Let's network, I've done some wholesales, working on 2 seller finance properties where I plan to put tenants in and hopefully I can get my feet wet on a flip project soon!!
  • Rental Property Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2017 · 176 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    Hi @ Neil Sullivan, thank you for your message. I have send you message to connect with you. Let's talk :) Ken

  • Upen PatelPro Member
    Lender · Nationwide Lender · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 814 votes
    9y

    Hi! @Ken Wang Welcome to BP.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2016 · 121 posts · 60 votes
    9y

    @Ken Wang Welcome to BP!  I use to live in Laurel when I first moved to the area.  I was living in the apartments right behind Target.  I live in Baltimore now but have very good memories of Laurel!  I actually attended a real estate Auction with someone i met on BP @Damon Wong, it was my first auction of that kind; where we all were in one room and they were Auctioning off 30+ properties.  I did not go to bid but just take in the experience.  The auction company is A.J. Billing & Co, pretty sure they are HQ out of Towson and the organization they were representing was One House At A Time. Couple of companies you might want to look into.  The next one is in April and I would recommend going, it was amazing bc people were getting properties for 5K, Am very much stressing you def do your due diligence bc alot of them are in areas some investors might not have the thick skin for.  But just like any property you gotta decide if it works for you.  I am here locally in Baltimore and am happy to help in any way that I can.  Don't hesitate to contact me for anything.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2017 · 176 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed thank you for your wisdom, will follow ! Ken

  • Rental Property Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2017 · 176 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    Thank you for your message , @Upen Patel the lender profile you have is impressive ! Ken

  • Rental Property Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2017 · 176 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    Hey @James A. very happy to know you are also from Laurel, and appreciate introduce @Damon Wong  to me. May I ask the info for next Auditing such as time and location?

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y
    Ken Wang Welcome to BP! The saying goes "there are a 1000 ways of making money in real estate". I think you're the right track! As a multifamily investor and still working in the healthcare industry, I can relate to your situation. Please feel free to reach out if you have anymore questions. Thanks! - Ola
  • Rental Property Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2017 · 176 posts · 37 votes
    9y

    Hi @Ola Dantis thank you for your message! it seems we have similar background, let's connect!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.