Hello Everyone - Im New Around Here

Hello Everyone - Im New Around Here

Software Engineer · Randolph, NJ · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 167 votes

Hello everyone, my name is Jason and although I have been a lurker on on this site for a few months I just recently made the commitment to take this rabbit hole of real estate investing and all that encompasses it seriously. I recently moved to northern New Jersey from Austin and a software engineer that works from home. 
My wife and I have three single family rentals back in Texas so I have a little experience in this realm. My main goal is to attain financial freedom through real estate. Why not me? Which lead me to this...

I, and I'm sure many others came to this site and were inundated with the plethora of information available. Where do we begin? Yes there is a quick start guide, forums, podcasts... the list goes on and on. I personally like to listen to the podcasts when I'm doing things around the house but I wanted to see if any had any information on "financial freedom" to be exact, since I wanted to lay out my long term goals before I really start down this path. I came to halt as I looked at the iTunes list of podcasts. What were they about? I had to hover over the podcast to see a short blurb. That didn't provide much. I then found the rss feed but that just gave brief descriptions. BiggerPockets search bar for podcasts? It only worked so much. So here we go... I built a tool for myself yesterday so i could do a deep dive into the content of podcasts.  I'll probably update it to make it more thorough for myself however if there is enough of a taking to it, Im open to suggestions to make it better for others as well. Its a tool that I will use for myself that I think may be of use to others. When you get to the page, you'll see its pretty bland. It has but one function.. search. Nothing more, nothing less.  So the goal is to just show myself/you  with the podcasts that match your search criteria. Check it out!

www.podinformer.com

So what did i do here?

I gathered all the info on the BiggerPockets podcasts, 263 in total so far. I have titles, descriptions, links to notes, duration of podcast, link to podcast, etc. I also transcribed about 23 podcasts so far so we have full scripts. Basically you can put in a keyword and find a podcasts that matches. 

So here was my first query Financial Freedom.

Now that i finally made this introduction I'm going to listen to a podcast! Which of the 18 will i choose?

Nice to meet everyone.

(Feedback and thoughts would be appreciated)

Jason

New Jersey

149Reply
173 views

Most Popular Reply

Scott TrenchPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
8y

WHOA! @Jason Sylka this is Blatant Disregard for our rules which clearly state that you may not link back to your own website in the forums here on BiggerPockets. This post has been flagged and will be removed...

(Just Kidding)

This is legendary. I'm "featuring" this post at the top of the forums for a few days (and I encourage everyone to give Jason a vote in appreciation!), and I'm going to bring this to the attention of @Robert Perry and @Craig Curelop to see if there is potential interest in making this kind of tool more accessible to all of our other podcast users. 

Thank you so much for putting this together and sharing with the community! 

And, of course, I'm so glad that you enjoy the content! 

See this reply in the discussion

149 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Davidson, NC · Member since 2017 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Great idea and site is awesome. Thank you Jason.!

  • MD · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    Awesome! Way to take action. You've definitely already made your mark and helped a lot of newbies. Keep pushing forward. 

  • Realtor · Roanoke, VA · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    8y
    Awesome job. This is really useful!
  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 177 posts · 213 votes
    8y

    This is so helpful! Thanks for doing this!

  • Springfield, MA · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Super Helpful. Thank you for taking the time to help us all. Much Appreciated

  • Real Estate Agent · St Petersburg Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 114 posts · 34 votes
    8y

    Thanks for sharing.  All information is helpful and welcoming.  

  • Investor · Lafayette, IN · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    @?Jason sylka nice to see yourb1st post

  • Investor · Lafayette, IN · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    @Jason Sylka

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 16 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    awesome ! welcome to your new family!

  • Rental Property Investor · NV · Member since 2014 · 241 posts · 85 votes
    8y

    Welcome, you have found the best place around when it comes to REI support and education. Good luck and reach out to the forums if you ever need anything.

  • Tappan, NY · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    @Jason Sylka Excellent tool!  Thank you!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Reading, PA · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 25 votes
    8y
    Whoa. This is impressive.
  • Investor · Wilmington, DE · Member since 2014 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Welcome Jason!  Thank you for putting this together....I like to listen to these Podcasts as I'm driving around and your tool will definitely help filter through the content more efficiently.  - Josh 

  • Dublin, CA · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    This is awesome! Thanks so much for putting this together! I'm also new to BP and the podcast and am definitely going to put this to use.

  • Fresno, CA · Member since 2013 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    Welcome Jason.

  • Rental Property Investor · Flagstaff, AZ · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 24 votes
    8y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets!

  • Webster Groves, MO · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 12 votes
    8y

    Thanks for your effort!

  • Hillsborough Township, NJ · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Hey @Jason Sylka - we have some pretty interesting similarities. First, we share the same name. Second, I am also from Austin, TX. Third, I now live in New Jersey! 

    Thanks for introducing yourself and for all the hard work you put in for us!

    Cheers,

    Jason 

  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 5 votes
    8y
    @Jason Sylka Welcome, I am a newbie here as well. I received such a warm welcome and some great connections right from the start. Glad to “surround” myself with other like minded individuals. For the financial freedom I have been reading everything I can on various FIRE communities. 🙂
  • Real Estate Broker · Windsor, CT · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 268 votes
    8y

    Wow thats pretty awesome! Welcome to BP! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Closter, NJ · Member since 2015 · 884 posts · 722 votes
    8y

    @Jason Sylka Welcome to New Jersey and Bigger Pockets!

  • Wholesaler · Carignan, Québec · Member since 2014 · 107 posts · 25 votes
    8y

    @Tirso Lopez Welcome to Bigger Pocket

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.