Hello Everyone - Im New Around Here

Hello Everyone - Im New Around Here

Software Engineer · Randolph, NJ · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 167 votes

Hello everyone, my name is Jason and although I have been a lurker on on this site for a few months I just recently made the commitment to take this rabbit hole of real estate investing and all that encompasses it seriously. I recently moved to northern New Jersey from Austin and a software engineer that works from home. 
My wife and I have three single family rentals back in Texas so I have a little experience in this realm. My main goal is to attain financial freedom through real estate. Why not me? Which lead me to this...

I, and I'm sure many others came to this site and were inundated with the plethora of information available. Where do we begin? Yes there is a quick start guide, forums, podcasts... the list goes on and on. I personally like to listen to the podcasts when I'm doing things around the house but I wanted to see if any had any information on "financial freedom" to be exact, since I wanted to lay out my long term goals before I really start down this path. I came to halt as I looked at the iTunes list of podcasts. What were they about? I had to hover over the podcast to see a short blurb. That didn't provide much. I then found the rss feed but that just gave brief descriptions. BiggerPockets search bar for podcasts? It only worked so much. So here we go... I built a tool for myself yesterday so i could do a deep dive into the content of podcasts.  I'll probably update it to make it more thorough for myself however if there is enough of a taking to it, Im open to suggestions to make it better for others as well. Its a tool that I will use for myself that I think may be of use to others. When you get to the page, you'll see its pretty bland. It has but one function.. search. Nothing more, nothing less.  So the goal is to just show myself/you  with the podcasts that match your search criteria. Check it out!

www.podinformer.com

So what did i do here?

I gathered all the info on the BiggerPockets podcasts, 263 in total so far. I have titles, descriptions, links to notes, duration of podcast, link to podcast, etc. I also transcribed about 23 podcasts so far so we have full scripts. Basically you can put in a keyword and find a podcasts that matches. 

So here was my first query Financial Freedom.

Now that i finally made this introduction I'm going to listen to a podcast! Which of the 18 will i choose?

Nice to meet everyone.

(Feedback and thoughts would be appreciated)

Jason

New Jersey

149Reply
169 views

Most Popular Reply

Scott TrenchPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
8y

WHOA! @Jason Sylka this is Blatant Disregard for our rules which clearly state that you may not link back to your own website in the forums here on BiggerPockets. This post has been flagged and will be removed...

(Just Kidding)

This is legendary. I'm "featuring" this post at the top of the forums for a few days (and I encourage everyone to give Jason a vote in appreciation!), and I'm going to bring this to the attention of @Robert Perry and @Craig Curelop to see if there is potential interest in making this kind of tool more accessible to all of our other podcast users. 

Thank you so much for putting this together and sharing with the community! 

And, of course, I'm so glad that you enjoy the content! 

See this reply in the discussion

149 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 361 posts · 394 votes
    8y

    The fact that you put this together in your free time, gave it a real domain name, and shared with everyone here tells me you're an action taker. Take the time to build your knowledge, but hold on to that action taking mentality. We're all here to help one another, but it's those who make the investment in themselves and take action that are successful. Best of luck!

  • Real Estate Agent · Gloucester City, NJ · Member since 2016 · 67 posts · 30 votes
    8y

    Welcome @Jason Sylka and what you have done here is great!  I am sure all users can find this tool of some use.  I know I will!  Good luck with your endeavors and reach out if you have any questions!  Thanks for your contribution

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    @Jason Sylka- Absolutely awesome. I'm impressed with how much you were able to accomplish in such little time and inspired by your deft software engineering skills. Inspiring. 

  • Specialist · Delran, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 951 votes
    8y

    Wow @Jason Sylka that's impressive. @Mindy Jensen maybe something that the site could leverage? Hopefully I can provide you with some equally useful information in return. For what you're looking for I would start with Podcast 223. From there I'd check out all of the Biggerpockets Money Show podcasts.

  • Software Engineer · Randolph, NJ · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 167 votes
    8y

    Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement.

    I'll have to continue updating this to get more transcripts in. As of right now it only does the bp podcast but since the money show is in its infancy that might be easy to give it a go. I did listen to ep1 and i wonder how it will transcribe, given the audio seemed a bit dull. Its worth a shot.

    hopefully i can get another 20 or so eps transcribed over the weekend to make the search a little better. (right now i have to make a new free account every 20 or so shows to skirt payments on the transcribing service i used) :)

    I'll keep at it!

    Thanks again

    Playing show 223 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    8y

    Welcome to the site @Jason Sylka

  • Scott TrenchPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    WHOA! @Jason Sylka this is Blatant Disregard for our rules which clearly state that you may not link back to your own website in the forums here on BiggerPockets. This post has been flagged and will be removed...

    (Just Kidding)

    This is legendary. I'm "featuring" this post at the top of the forums for a few days (and I encourage everyone to give Jason a vote in appreciation!), and I'm going to bring this to the attention of @Robert Perry and @Craig Curelop to see if there is potential interest in making this kind of tool more accessible to all of our other podcast users. 

    Thank you so much for putting this together and sharing with the community! 

    And, of course, I'm so glad that you enjoy the content! 

  • Software Engineer · Randolph, NJ · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 167 votes
    8y

    Thanks - I figured there would have to be some bend in the rules.

    You have my word though, theres no ill intent or monetizing going on. my daytime job is software so i figured id mesh together what i know and what im learning.

    Im no search expert by any means but in my work life one of my goals this year is to get a handle on searching & relevancy. 

    So to whomever visits the site just know it has one task and one task only, search. I do  not have any ads, hidden fees, gimmicks, etc. its as simple as that.. 

    im fronting the small aws fees and whatnot.. its no big deal.

    You can see im not much of a UI guy either. Im just tossing raw data back at ya.!

    I will be improving it as a exercise for myself and to help the others achieve accurate search results 

    Ill reply back here when i get more data indexed.

  • Ben Lomond, CA · Member since 2016 · 338 posts · 337 votes
    8y

    @Jason Sylka

    Great tool Jason, I have always wanted to be able to search through the podcasts in some easy way and you created just that. 

  • Newcastle, WA · Member since 2017 · 15 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    @Jason Sylka welcome!  I too lurked for a long time before I started posting.

    Nice follow through on the project!

    I'm a SWE as well.  Every time I start a RE-themed project I find out someone else has done it, monetized it, and I facepalm AGAIN.

    So now I've decided spare time projects just automate what my partner does, and there's enough business development opportunities, once we really got the ball rolling, that the software takes a back seat.

    I wanted to be the 'man behind the curtain' but I've found the nontechnical aspects far more interesting and fulfilling than I would have thought possible.

    I've seen a good many podcasts on here, but not all of them.  I look forward to using your search the next time I'm in need of a podcast!

  • Moorpark, CA · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 14 votes
    8y

    @Jason Sylka wow, that's a brilliant tool. I love the podcasts as I'm just diving into the education portion of investing. Really appreciate you taking the time to create that tool and share it. Thank you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Plainview, NY · Member since 2015 · 123 posts · 28 votes
    8y
    @Jason Sylka this is so cool. I work full time in IT but not as smart as you are :) I keep scrolling through the bp podcasts in stitcher but it's so annoying to find what I want. So I just tried your search and its so easy and quick too! Right away it came back with all podcasts with my key word! congrats and thank you!
  • Software Engineer · Randolph, NJ · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 167 votes
    8y

    Hello all, thanks for the kind words again.

    I recently updated the indexes to contain 268 podcasts transcripts in total. 264 from bpp. and 4 from the money podcast @Scott Trench ie) The Mustache Search


    It works pretty decently I think. Now, truth be told, the accuracy of the transcription process isn't as perfect as Id like it to be however it is good enough to get the ball rollin'. From a stance of utility I believe it will save everyone a few minutes here or there to at least hone in on potential podcasts. To me, the time saved is a mission accomplished. However I can admit there is much room for improvement on many different fronts.

    I'll keep it going of course. It really seems to be of benefit. However I bet most tweaks from here on out will be under the hood type stuff. And from here on out I'm venturing into the unknown when it comes to tuning and relevancy.

    Thanks again.

    Jason

  • Newark, NJ · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Good

  • Bridgewater, NJ · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 31 votes
    8y
    welcome to New Jersey. Hit me up sometime if you ever need anything around here
  • Investor · Marietta, GA · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    This is awesome man! Thank you for creating this, it looks like a great resource and it shows motivation and action on your part! I encourage you to keep going!

  • Investor · Hoboken, NJ · Member since 2016 · 464 posts · 179 votes
    8y

    @Jason Sylka Great tool. Thanks

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2017 · 199 posts · 56 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jason Sylka:

    Hello everyone, my name is Jason and although I have been a lurker on on this site for a few months I just recently made the commitment to take this rabbit hole of real estate investing and all that encompasses it seriously. I recently moved to northern New Jersey from Austin and a software engineer that works from home. 
    My wife and I have three single family rentals back in Texas so I have a little experience in this realm. My main goal is to attain financial freedom through real estate. Why not me? Which lead me to this...

    I, and I'm sure many others came to this site and were inundated with the plethora of information available. Where do we begin? Yes there is a quick start guide, forums, podcasts... the list goes on and on. I personally like to listen to the podcasts when I'm doing things around the house but I wanted to see if any had any information on "financial freedom" to be exact, since I wanted to lay out my long term goals before I really start down this path. I came to halt as I looked at the iTunes list of podcasts. What were they about? I had to hover over the podcast to see a short blurb. That didn't provide much. I then found the rss feed but that just gave brief descriptions. BiggerPockets search bar for podcasts? It only worked so much. So here we go... I built a tool for myself yesterday so i could do a deep dive into the content of podcasts.  I'll probably update it to make it more thorough for myself however if there is enough of a taking to it, Im open to suggestions to make it better for others as well. Its a tool that I will use for myself that I think may be of use to others. When you get to the page, you'll see its pretty bland. It has but one function.. search. Nothing more, nothing less.  So the goal is to just show myself/you  with the podcasts that match your search criteria. Check it out!

    www.podinformer.com

    So what did i do here?

    I gathered all the info on the BiggerPockets podcasts, 263 in total so far. I have titles, descriptions, links to notes, duration of podcast, link to podcast, etc. I also transcribed about 23 podcasts so far so we have full scripts. Basically you can put in a keyword and find a podcasts that matches. 

    So here was my first query Financial Freedom.

    Now that i finally made this introduction I'm going to listen to a podcast! Which of the 18 will i choose?

    Nice to meet everyone.

    (Feedback and thoughts would be appreciated)

    Jason

    New Jersey

    Thank you Jason! I was thinking of emailing BP and suggesting a search for the podcasts and have found it time consuming to finding the type of podcast I was interested in listening to, great job!

  • Peoria, AZ · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    @Jason Sylka dude! This is so awesome. Such a great idea and platform you made. Welcome to biggerpockets and good luck with everything! 

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    @Jason Sylka

    Welcome to the BP family! Great that you joined the site! Here are some recommendations for you:

    Find and connect with other BP members that are in your area: http://www.biggerpockets.com/meet
    Set up keyword alerts to be notified of the topics that interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts
    Read Beginner’s Guide: http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

    Wishing you the best!

  • Pasadena, CA · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 6 votes
    8y
    Wow this is great! When will the transcriptions be available?
  • Huntsville, AL · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 31 votes
    8y
  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2014 · 732 posts · 137 votes
    8y
    Jason, Welcome to this site. Find a mentor that is activity doing multiple deals, they are usually busy guys and would like an eager apprentice. You will like this site great way to connect.
  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Jason Sylka This is awesome work, Jason.

    Thanks for putting this together. - Ola 

  • Investor · Shawnee, OK · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    This is awesome! Im new around here but, this tool is so helpful! Thanks.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.