Hello Everyone - Im New Around Here

Hello Everyone - Im New Around Here

Software Engineer · Randolph, NJ · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 167 votes

Hello everyone, my name is Jason and although I have been a lurker on on this site for a few months I just recently made the commitment to take this rabbit hole of real estate investing and all that encompasses it seriously. I recently moved to northern New Jersey from Austin and a software engineer that works from home. 
My wife and I have three single family rentals back in Texas so I have a little experience in this realm. My main goal is to attain financial freedom through real estate. Why not me? Which lead me to this...

I, and I'm sure many others came to this site and were inundated with the plethora of information available. Where do we begin? Yes there is a quick start guide, forums, podcasts... the list goes on and on. I personally like to listen to the podcasts when I'm doing things around the house but I wanted to see if any had any information on "financial freedom" to be exact, since I wanted to lay out my long term goals before I really start down this path. I came to halt as I looked at the iTunes list of podcasts. What were they about? I had to hover over the podcast to see a short blurb. That didn't provide much. I then found the rss feed but that just gave brief descriptions. BiggerPockets search bar for podcasts? It only worked so much. So here we go... I built a tool for myself yesterday so i could do a deep dive into the content of podcasts.  I'll probably update it to make it more thorough for myself however if there is enough of a taking to it, Im open to suggestions to make it better for others as well. Its a tool that I will use for myself that I think may be of use to others. When you get to the page, you'll see its pretty bland. It has but one function.. search. Nothing more, nothing less.  So the goal is to just show myself/you  with the podcasts that match your search criteria. Check it out!

www.podinformer.com

So what did i do here?

I gathered all the info on the BiggerPockets podcasts, 263 in total so far. I have titles, descriptions, links to notes, duration of podcast, link to podcast, etc. I also transcribed about 23 podcasts so far so we have full scripts. Basically you can put in a keyword and find a podcasts that matches. 

So here was my first query Financial Freedom.

Now that i finally made this introduction I'm going to listen to a podcast! Which of the 18 will i choose?

Nice to meet everyone.

(Feedback and thoughts would be appreciated)

Jason

New Jersey

149Reply
165 views

Most Popular Reply

Scott TrenchPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
8y

WHOA! @Jason Sylka this is Blatant Disregard for our rules which clearly state that you may not link back to your own website in the forums here on BiggerPockets. This post has been flagged and will be removed...

(Just Kidding)

This is legendary. I'm "featuring" this post at the top of the forums for a few days (and I encourage everyone to give Jason a vote in appreciation!), and I'm going to bring this to the attention of @Robert Perry and @Craig Curelop to see if there is potential interest in making this kind of tool more accessible to all of our other podcast users. 

Thank you so much for putting this together and sharing with the community! 

And, of course, I'm so glad that you enjoy the content! 

See this reply in the discussion

149 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 30 posts · 17 votes
    8y

    Thanks @Jason Sylka! I'm new around here too and this is very helpful. Appreciate the great contribution.

  • Specialist · Bozeman, MT · Member since 2017 · 191 posts · 47 votes
    8y

    Welcome to the site @Jason Sylka

  • Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    thanks
  • Realtor · Athens, GA · Member since 2017 · 336 posts · 123 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Najar Tayeh:

    Is this an app how do I have access to your podcast ? I’m new to this

     If you are using the android app. Open the app and then look all the way down the last blue box says "Listen to the podcast" hit that box and it should take you to them. Hope this was helpful. 

    Also, welcome to the community! 

  • Realtor · Athens, GA · Member since 2017 · 336 posts · 123 votes
    8y

    @Samir Goel @Jason Sylka Welcome and have a great time. Let me know if I can help in some way. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 130 posts · 69 votes
    8y

    Hey Jason, Welcome to Biggerpockets!

  • Specialist · New York, NY · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    Thanks for the tool Jason. And good luck in your endeavors
  • Channahon, IL · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Very nice, man! thx

  • Silver Spring, MD · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    This is nice. Financial freedom is my goal as well. I'm new to real estate investing myself. So this will be a big help. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 65 posts · 32 votes
    8y

    @Jason Sylka This is amazing. Thank you! Also, welcome to the site :-)

  • Investor · Mount Pleasant, SC · Member since 2017 · 14 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    That's pretty awesome dude! I've needed one of these!!!

  • Hutchinson, MN · Member since 2018 · 38 posts · 14 votes
    8y

    @Jason Sylka I'm sure that was a ton of work to put together.  Thanks for your effort!

  • Commercial Multi Family Broker · Spokane, WA · Member since 2010 · 139 posts · 27 votes
    8y

    Welcome Jason! Always exciting to see new faces joining the investor bandwagon. Best to you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 17 posts · 8 votes
    8y
    Hi. Congrats for joining. As a former accountant, I would suggest you develop a budget for monthly expenses, plus 10% for emergencies, as a start for your breakeven point to achieving financial freedom. Anything over that would be considered “gravy”. Good luck. Al
  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Thanks! I am a newbie as well and I also get overwhelmed with the amount of resources. I often find myself reading one article then clicking on five different links in that article and the cycle continues. lol  

  • Hammond, LA · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    Creative thinking!!! That’s what makes us all unique our ability to use our thoughts to create new opportunities. You are on to great things. 

  • Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    Wow! Super nice! Very helpful thank you so much! I'm new to the BiggerPockets and right now I'm working through watching all the podcasts on YouTube and listening to them whenever I can! I'm retired Army and want to focus my new found free time in investing in real estate, so this will help me and my education. 

  • Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    That's amazing, welcome to the site btw, can you give us some tips or lessons here on the forum?

  • Mankato, MN · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 18 votes
    8y
    Welcome aboard. Let the bigger pockets community slowly take you over and show the power of real estate. :)
  • Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 45 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets! its a rabbit hole with a combination of blue or red pill. Glad to see you on the site, this is a great place for networking and getting advice from local and broad experts.

  • Investor · Matawan, NJ · Member since 2015 · 111 posts · 29 votes
    8y

    @Jason Sylka Awesome job! And welcome to BP. Nice to see another fellow IT in NJ and doing real estate. Your tool will be very helpful for everyone. Thanks for that tool. Bookmarked!!

  • Real Estate Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Thank you @Jason Sylka!!  I've been testing it out and I'm impressed.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    I agree, you taking action is inspiring. I’m going to grab some coffee and get to work!!
  • Realtor · North Olmsted, OH · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    Great work!!

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Way to take initiative. This is really neat. I'm new here too so I think this could be helpful.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.