Hello Everyone - Im New Around Here

Hello Everyone - Im New Around Here

Software Engineer · Randolph, NJ · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 167 votes

Hello everyone, my name is Jason and although I have been a lurker on on this site for a few months I just recently made the commitment to take this rabbit hole of real estate investing and all that encompasses it seriously. I recently moved to northern New Jersey from Austin and a software engineer that works from home. 
My wife and I have three single family rentals back in Texas so I have a little experience in this realm. My main goal is to attain financial freedom through real estate. Why not me? Which lead me to this...

I, and I'm sure many others came to this site and were inundated with the plethora of information available. Where do we begin? Yes there is a quick start guide, forums, podcasts... the list goes on and on. I personally like to listen to the podcasts when I'm doing things around the house but I wanted to see if any had any information on "financial freedom" to be exact, since I wanted to lay out my long term goals before I really start down this path. I came to halt as I looked at the iTunes list of podcasts. What were they about? I had to hover over the podcast to see a short blurb. That didn't provide much. I then found the rss feed but that just gave brief descriptions. BiggerPockets search bar for podcasts? It only worked so much. So here we go... I built a tool for myself yesterday so i could do a deep dive into the content of podcasts.  I'll probably update it to make it more thorough for myself however if there is enough of a taking to it, Im open to suggestions to make it better for others as well. Its a tool that I will use for myself that I think may be of use to others. When you get to the page, you'll see its pretty bland. It has but one function.. search. Nothing more, nothing less.  So the goal is to just show myself/you  with the podcasts that match your search criteria. Check it out!

www.podinformer.com

So what did i do here?

I gathered all the info on the BiggerPockets podcasts, 263 in total so far. I have titles, descriptions, links to notes, duration of podcast, link to podcast, etc. I also transcribed about 23 podcasts so far so we have full scripts. Basically you can put in a keyword and find a podcasts that matches. 

So here was my first query Financial Freedom.

Now that i finally made this introduction I'm going to listen to a podcast! Which of the 18 will i choose?

Nice to meet everyone.

(Feedback and thoughts would be appreciated)

Jason

New Jersey

149Reply
181 views

Most Popular Reply

Scott TrenchPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
8y

WHOA! @Jason Sylka this is Blatant Disregard for our rules which clearly state that you may not link back to your own website in the forums here on BiggerPockets. This post has been flagged and will be removed...

(Just Kidding)

This is legendary. I'm "featuring" this post at the top of the forums for a few days (and I encourage everyone to give Jason a vote in appreciation!), and I'm going to bring this to the attention of @Robert Perry and @Craig Curelop to see if there is potential interest in making this kind of tool more accessible to all of our other podcast users. 

Thank you so much for putting this together and sharing with the community! 

And, of course, I'm so glad that you enjoy the content! 

See this reply in the discussion

149 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Burbank, CA · Member since 2011 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Thank you @Jason Sylka this is going to be very helpful for all uf us.  I listen to podcasts all the time, the information is great and now is going to be easier  to search at a specific one.  Good job !

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 1 vote
    8y

    @Jason Sylka

    Amazing job, thank you!

  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    podinformer super cool. @jason sylka - I have some data scientist friends that might be able to either help you clean or glean your data - sounds like a fun side project I'd love to contribute to that if you need help!

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    Awesome tool, great contribution. Thanks buddy

  • Coraopolis, PA · Member since 2018 · 36 posts · 27 votes
    8y

    All the education is for one reason - to do something with it. I found myself in the beginning feeling "good" because I spent massive amounts of time "learning" but in reality spent little time "doing". You will make mistakes, don't make fatal ones.

    You asked what the first step should be and in my opinion that would be "generate leads". There are many different ways to do this and use the education to find one that suits you.

    Just to give you a feel for what the others are (i'm a buy an hold)

    Step 2 would be to screen leads

    Step 3 make offers

    Step 4 combine funding with offers

    step 5 rehab

    step 6 rent

    step 7 refinance

    step 8 repeat

  • Rochester, NY · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Wow!! That is amazing! And so useful! Thanks for this awesome contribution! And welcome to the site!

  • Vashon, WA · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Nice work! I am a software dev, working from home full-time. I'm probably at the same level as you in the business so it's great to see someone else on the same path. Maybe some time we can work on an idea together!

  • Robbinsville, NJ · Member since 2017 · 24 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    Welcome, Jason! Thank You!  I'm a busy mom and newbie investor. I wish I could dedicate more time to BP but since I can't, any tools to help streamline or organize information that I'm seeking out is priceless! The content is incredibly helpful and I can't thank BP enough for all the knowledge I have gained in the last 5 months. I started listening to all of the podcasts starting from #1 back in September, and I'm up to 225 however, find myself spending time trying to go back to specific podcasts because now they actually apply or I just get it now. I think this will be very helpful!

  • New York, NY · Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    @Jason Sylka congratulations!  I am really impressed by your goals keep it up! 

  • Ellenwood, GA · Member since 2018 · 55 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    Hi I am a newbie and I loved what you did.  I am using what you have created to listen to the podcasts everyday.  This was brilliant. I wish you much success with your real estate endeavors.   

  • Investor · Joplin, MO · Member since 2015 · 76 posts · 78 votes
    8y

    @jason sylka, that is awesome man, thanks for a very useful tool.

    Good luck in quest to be financially independent.

  • Realtor · Concord, NH · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 30 votes
    8y
    Jason Sylka Welcome to BP officially! Really nice setup and idea for that site of yours, I just checked it out quickly but I will be back to look at it from the computer later! -Matt
  • Stacy, MN · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    This first post should be voted as the best first post in BP history. @Jason Sylka thanks so much! What a great resource. 

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2014 · 538 posts · 432 votes
    8y

    Great first post!  Welcome!

  • Investor · Statesville, NC · Member since 2015 · 113 posts · 58 votes
    8y
    Hi Jason! I just read your post, I’m a little bit behind due to tax season!! I was exactly where you’re at one point. I believe the answer is very simple, you have to personally define what financial freedom means to you. My definition was to replace my corporate income and walk away from my corporate job with the same net income that I was living on. That was a pretty tall order for single mom, but I did achieve it, and although I don’t consider myself financially free yet, I am financially independent, and not under the thumb of any corporation. If that is close to your goal, be sure to factor in benefits that we often forget about. 401(k) contributions, if you choose to invest in the volatile stock market, and also healthcare is a huge one. Best of luck to you and understand New Jersey is a far cry from Texas! 🙌
  • Bend, OR · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    Thanks for putting this information together, it's great! 

    My 2 cents is to try to organically build your network (not just 'friend list') by getting to know people and providing value to them!

    If you are interested in investing in Oregon, let's chat! 

    Thanks 

    Skyler

  • White Plains, MD · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Definitely appreciative of your unique capabilities. I’m a newbie too, and this makes navigation so much easier💯!
  • Montreal, -- Non U.S. -- · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    H all, I'm new to this forum, I'm here to learn as much as possible and grow my network. I live in Montreal but i'lI go often to central and south america to do real estate business. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Montreal, Quebec · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    Hey Tirso...I’m a real estate investor in Montreal and i’m actually also thinking of buying houses in Central America (Costa Rica at first).  We should connect to discuss things further...

    Marty

  • HOUSTON, TX · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    Hey Whats happening everyone!! my name is James, I am a Houston native and new real estate investor. I have been working property management for family properties for a few years now but I am ready to take on more challenging things on my own. i was in the financial venture capital space for a few years but now Im looking to move into real estate full-time. I am looking to get into multi-family houses 4-25 units and build partnerships all over the country if possible. My family has over 50 units multi-family and some single family homes as well so I do have some understanding of the multi- family real estate game. I have recently been into wholesaling and flipping properties and have been relatively successful moving 5 properties my first month and have some great relationships with hedge funds from my previous world. But I believe multi-family is the space I am suppose to be working in. Cash flow baby!! I have been following the bigger pockets podcast for some time now just never took the time to actually sign up for the forum. Now I am ready to do some serious networking with everyone on the forum! You will see a lot of me on this forum so please do not hesitate to reach out and ask me for anything!! I am all about adding value, so if I can help I will. Thanks!! 

  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 852 votes
    8y

    @Jason Sylka, Welcome to BP!!! 

    Thanks for sharing the cool search tool.

  • Montreal, -- Non U.S. -- · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Racicot Martin:

    Hey Tirso...I’m a real estate investor in Montreal and i’m actually also thinking of buying houses in Central America (Costa Rica at first).  We should connect to discuss things further...

    Marty

  • Montreal, -- Non U.S. -- · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Hi Martin,  wonderful news, i have worked in the condominium business here in Montreal for several years, projects such lavenue, TDC2,3, Myst,  Aquablu.. Now I'm full time promoting le Peterson and very large projects in Panama. I'm in downtown, let's plan a meeting! 

    Regards

  • South River, NJ · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y
    Is this an app how do I have access to your podcast ? I’m new to this
  • Tacoma, WA · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    Hell yeah. I love the tool you made, so helpful and thoughtful appreciate this!!! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.