Hello Everyone - Im New Around Here

Hello Everyone - Im New Around Here

Software Engineer · Randolph, NJ · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 167 votes

Hello everyone, my name is Jason and although I have been a lurker on on this site for a few months I just recently made the commitment to take this rabbit hole of real estate investing and all that encompasses it seriously. I recently moved to northern New Jersey from Austin and a software engineer that works from home. 
My wife and I have three single family rentals back in Texas so I have a little experience in this realm. My main goal is to attain financial freedom through real estate. Why not me? Which lead me to this...

I, and I'm sure many others came to this site and were inundated with the plethora of information available. Where do we begin? Yes there is a quick start guide, forums, podcasts... the list goes on and on. I personally like to listen to the podcasts when I'm doing things around the house but I wanted to see if any had any information on "financial freedom" to be exact, since I wanted to lay out my long term goals before I really start down this path. I came to halt as I looked at the iTunes list of podcasts. What were they about? I had to hover over the podcast to see a short blurb. That didn't provide much. I then found the rss feed but that just gave brief descriptions. BiggerPockets search bar for podcasts? It only worked so much. So here we go... I built a tool for myself yesterday so i could do a deep dive into the content of podcasts.  I'll probably update it to make it more thorough for myself however if there is enough of a taking to it, Im open to suggestions to make it better for others as well. Its a tool that I will use for myself that I think may be of use to others. When you get to the page, you'll see its pretty bland. It has but one function.. search. Nothing more, nothing less.  So the goal is to just show myself/you  with the podcasts that match your search criteria. Check it out!

www.podinformer.com

So what did i do here?

I gathered all the info on the BiggerPockets podcasts, 263 in total so far. I have titles, descriptions, links to notes, duration of podcast, link to podcast, etc. I also transcribed about 23 podcasts so far so we have full scripts. Basically you can put in a keyword and find a podcasts that matches. 

So here was my first query Financial Freedom.

Now that i finally made this introduction I'm going to listen to a podcast! Which of the 18 will i choose?

Nice to meet everyone.

(Feedback and thoughts would be appreciated)

Jason

New Jersey

149Reply
186 views

Most Popular Reply

Scott TrenchPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
8y

WHOA! @Jason Sylka this is Blatant Disregard for our rules which clearly state that you may not link back to your own website in the forums here on BiggerPockets. This post has been flagged and will be removed...

(Just Kidding)

This is legendary. I'm "featuring" this post at the top of the forums for a few days (and I encourage everyone to give Jason a vote in appreciation!), and I'm going to bring this to the attention of @Robert Perry and @Craig Curelop to see if there is potential interest in making this kind of tool more accessible to all of our other podcast users. 

Thank you so much for putting this together and sharing with the community! 

And, of course, I'm so glad that you enjoy the content! 

See this reply in the discussion

149 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Redmond, WA · Member since 2016 · 169 posts · 58 votes
    8y
    @Jason Sylka Jason welcome to the site. Your search tool is awesome and is a great idea. I've listened to all of the podcasts and all have great content, but you are right, it's hard to find the ones that are relevant to specific topics. Bookmark saved, will be using your tool. Thx.
  • Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    thanks, this works like a charm!

  • Contractor · Melrose, FL · Member since 2016 · 131 posts · 64 votes
    8y

    Welcome, @Jason Sylka! There's a LOT of info on BP and on the internet in general. That comes with a warning: if you try to become an expert before doing your first deal, you're never going to make a deal. You've done THREE deals already, which makes you more qualified as a real estate investor than half the people on BP (unofficial numbers, totally made up). You're off to a great start.

    I wish you the best of luck!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2017 · 33 posts · 24 votes
    8y

    That's a great way to intro :D

    Nice work on the link.

  • Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2015 · 98 posts · 64 votes
    8y

    Good luck @Jason Sylka, this is really cool!

  • Wholesaler · Cary, NC · Member since 2014 · 54 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    @Jason Sylka welcome aboard!  

    Thats incredible that you've put that all together and I'm sure a lot of people on here will greatly benefit from this.  Glad to see you're an action-taker, so keep it up!

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 130 posts · 69 votes
    8y

    Hey James, 

    Welcome to BP. Great to hear you've already obtained properties, I'm also involved in the rental realm! 

    My best advice is to watch tons of videos/podcasts & network as much as possible to learn what people do. Meet or talk to 1 new person everyday and you will learn so much. Networking will also give you the chance to get in on some deals with experienced investors. 

    Message me and let's connect! I'd love to see how we could help eachother and create win/win situations.

  • lakewood, NJ · Member since 2017 · 282 posts · 156 votes
    8y

    @Etienne Martel Meeting one new person each day sounds like an awesome thing to do? What helps you do that?

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 130 posts · 69 votes
    8y

    @Fradel Schaechter Right here on Bigger Pockets!

    Go to the network tab and click on members. If you have an upgraded account you can filter members more specifically to your area, interests, keywords, etc. You can connect with people and message back and forth, possibly meet up for coffee and discuss how you can do business.

    This forum is also useful for talking with scattered investors from everywhere. Have a phone call and make personal connections, then see how you two can do business!

    Easy as pie! The more you do it, the easier it is! 

    Practice makes perfect!

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Welcome Jason. I’m new too. I look forward to growing as a real estate investor you.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    @Jason Sylka This is great. Fantastic job!

  • Chris PierogPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Montesano, WA · Member since 2018 · 36 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    Very neat! This tool is very useful for searching up specific questions and getting quick answers. Will also help me when I have something at the tip of my tongue and can’t remember which podcast I heard it from.
  • Valley Cottage, NY · Member since 2017 · 84 posts · 28 votes
    8y
    Nice to meet you good first post ! I have to make one as well. I’m in the New York tri state area and just started with a holdings group in Philly! Looking forward to an exciting time in the real estate world!
  • Milton RiveraPro Member
    Professional · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 116 posts · 67 votes
    8y

    This is awesome, great tool! Thanks, @Jason Sylka

  • Software Engineer · Randolph, NJ · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 167 votes
    8y

    thanks again.

    for those who are interested i now have a basic framework for filtering. More filters to come.
    better mobile support now.
    and on the more info popup, highlighted terms with an underscore show show the time of occurrence in the podcast. (hover over on desktop, touch on mobile to see info)

    have a great day !

  • Addison , TX · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    thanks!  I also was a serial "lurker"!  This site is great!   Really appreciate all the insight from others and recommendations for technology to make things easier! 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2016 · 114 posts · 54 votes
    8y
    Jason Sylka , 👍 This was my biggest ask since very long time. One suggestion and perhaps it's already implemented but I couldn't get it to work is when I click on the Podcast link that I am interested in, it doesn't open the podcast for me in either Podcast or Stitcher app. Otherwise great tool to have handy.
  • Clovis, CA · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 9 votes
    8y
    Thank you Jason!! I am new also and have not delved in as I should but your post has been a great one. I will definitely be using your search. Thank you for using your time to set this up. Wonderful!!
  • Erik KuhiPro Member
    Investor · Farmingdale, NJ · Member since 2017 · 62 posts · 39 votes
    8y
    @Jason Sylka Nice work!!! You nailed it with this intro.
  • Software Engineer · Randolph, NJ · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 167 votes
    8y

    Thanks again,

    @Rich Lopes:Thanks for the heads up. I dunno how that slipped through QA ha. Fixed it up and it should work as expected now.

  • Sharon PowellPro Member
    Realtor · La Vernia, TX · Member since 2014 · 153 posts · 124 votes
    8y

    Serious high fives to you!! Thank you for that amazing and simple bit of genius you've shared. 

    Welcome to BP, and now that you're way up there in Yankee-land (jk!!)  if you need boots on the ground to check on your deals back here in The Republic,  I'd be more than happy to be your girl. 

    Best of luck on working out your plan for financial freedom.   There are hugely qualified people out there who will give you solid and professional advice... all I can add is to start with the number that you consider your freedom number, and work your way backwards from there until you have a plan for each and every day. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2016 · 114 posts · 54 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jason Sylka:

    Thanks again,

    @Rich Lopes:Thanks for the heads up. I dunno how that slipped through QA ha. Fixed it up and it should work as expected now.

    Is there a code without bugs? :) Works great now! Thanks!

  • Greensburg, PA · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Hello Jason 

    I am also new here I have not been lurking as long though Thank you for what you have done with the search tool I to like listening to the pod cast. 

    Thank you and good luck 

    Matt

  • Succasunna, NJ · Member since 2017 · 104 posts · 12 votes
    8y
    Welcome to NJ I live In the next town over from you. Great tool you created! I’m looking to start up a Morris County NJ network group. Let me know if you would be interested.
  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    @Jason Sylka this is awesome. Keep up the good work. Let me know if i can help in any shape or form

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.