I'm new on the forum!

5 Replies

Hey all! New here to Bigger Pockets and I'm super excited to be here. Been listening to the podcast for some time now, and am finishing Rich Dad, Poor Dad. Feeling really inspired to pursue financial freedom and I'm looking forward to getting engaged on the site!

A little more about me: I'm in the Portland OR area in my first house. I'm considering renting my current place out (once I crank out the numbers) and buying another property closer to downtown.

Thanks!

Welcome to the site.  They have lots of helpful tools and great insight.  Good luck in your endeavors, from the Lone Star State.

Welcome Christopher! I'm just down the road from you in Salem, OR. I love Rich Dad, Poor Dad. Highly recommend Cashflow Quadrant by Robert Kiyosaki as well. 

We bought our first investment in October, a duplex that we are living in one side of. Hope you get your first soon.

@Christopher Gee Welcome to BP! If you can house hack, that's a perfect start.

Here are some resources I recommend to newcomers (not paid for mentioning anything in this post:)

Personal Finance

I strongly suggest learning as much as possible about personal finance (if you haven’t already) as I believe strong personal finances is the foundation for a strong real estate portfolio. For starters, BP even has a Money Podcast now!

Software that’s helped me personally:

YNAB – zero based budgeting system and software; their philosophy will help you get out of debt and no longer live paycheck to paycheck

Personal Capital – a high-level net worth tracking software

Podcasts

Episode 108 - Grant Cardone... Just listen…

Episode 283 Paul Thompson - Quite a new episode but I would think everyone would agree this is a top episode. Mainly, the systems implemented are fascinating (VA, automated offers, etc.) Plus...escape velocity...

Episode 113Jay Papasan - Very practical slow and steady advice

Episode 221 - Tim Shiner - his concept of equity build up and "shearing the sheep" shows some of the flexibility of real estate vs a 401k

Last but not least, I also recommend all the tax advice given by my fellow CPAs on the BP Podcast.

Amanda Han Brandon Hall Tax Reform Update Linda Weygant

Books

I have to say all of the BP books…right? :)

The Millionaire Next Door, The Millionaire Real Estate Investor, What Every Investor Needs to Know About Cash Flow

Guides

Ultimate Beginners Guide, Forum Stickies, BP Calculators or spreadsheets uploaded by members

Hope this information can give you a good start. Feel free to reach out with any questions. 

Welcome to the site Christopher!

Sounds like you've been doing a lot of research and are looking for how to take the next step. Renting out your current place and house hacking your way into another is a great way to start building your portfolio. 

Keep asking questions, reading posts, and listening to podcasts!

Also, check out a few of the local real estate investor groups. 

Good luck!

Welcome to BP!! This is a wonderful community.  Congrats on the first step and reading the most influential book on real estate ever!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you