Looking to Network in Fort Wayne, In and surrounding areas

Looking to Network in Fort Wayne, In and surrounding areas

Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 3 votes

I'm a new investor looking to network. I'm located near Fort Wayne but really interested in investing in Winona Lake/Warsaw area, Kokomo, and the surrounding areas of Fort Wayne. I still have a lot to learn and would love to network with people regardless of location. I'm an IT Engineer by trade and look to leverage technology to its peak to accomplish my goals.

2Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2013 · 152 posts · 126 votes
7y

Hi there Brit and welcome to BP . I'm a full-time contractor here in Fort Wayne and if you're interested in networking , Drew Wiard who's a member here and also runs a local monthly REIA is definitely somebody to connect with. The meetings are free and are the first Wednesday of every month. If you ever have any questions or want to connect feel free to reach out to me, my email and phone number are on my profile

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kerry Noble JrPro Member
    Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Welcome to BP......from Indy!

  • Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Thank you! How's the market in Indy? I've only worked in Indy but never lived there. It's very cheap in Fort Wayne and I mean that in good and bad ways.

  • Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2013 · 152 posts · 126 votes
    7y

    Hi there Brit and welcome to BP . I'm a full-time contractor here in Fort Wayne and if you're interested in networking , Drew Wiard who's a member here and also runs a local monthly REIA is definitely somebody to connect with. The meetings are free and are the first Wednesday of every month. If you ever have any questions or want to connect feel free to reach out to me, my email and phone number are on my profile

  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 23 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    Indy's larger population always makes it less up/down then some of the smaller areas, but it still has it's "edge" areas. With a few artist areas which usually translate to 20s/30s playing more for an area then normal. I like it, but that doesn't mean it's for everyone. If you can handle class D properties - you can make a killing I'm told, but I can't. A few years back, some of the best "artistic" class C/D properties in these areas can been flipped or upgraded so you might have to look outside of Broadripple, Fountain Square for a killer deal,  Irvington is a "maybe" I'd say for up and coming, but we've had so much flooding of flips the last few years I think it's suffering a bit of lag because of it.  Kokomo got hit stupidly hard years back and is on the steady stabilization (though I personally don't feel good at it ever really coming close to recovering anywhere what it was in the 90s).  Good luck in your search. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2014 · 251 posts · 129 votes
    7y

    Hey @Britt! Would be happy to help you connect with folks! I, along with a couple of other folks, help to host the local REIA in Fort Wayne. feel free to send me a message, and I'll be happy to send you the link to our Facebook group, and help you get connected!

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    Whatever you do, stay away from @Drew Wiard - he is trouble all the way around. Trust me :)

  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 23 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    What advice I have and I'm far from an expert is this. There are some truly experienced folks who share great information.  So read, read, read.  Conferences are overpriced and are usually just to be ignored, you'll get 100x more from your local real-estate groups. 

    Start using zillow or redfin, MLS or whatever mass information source you have and start studying a few areas. What are the prices for a 3 bedroom? What are they for sale for and what did they sell for last? Learn how to classify what rents and sells in a few areas and for what. Sure it'll seem random at first, but after a few years. You'll be able to pin point it. A business minded real-estate agent can REALLY help jump start this too.

    Once you found an area you like, start driving around there. Sounds crazy, but being in the area in person really does give a lot of information that's hard to classify in the MLS. Notice the cars that are parked and if people that are walking around seem friendly or if young families are there or not. Does it have a lot of high class foodie areas or is it close to a college? Is there we buy gold signs, a Walmart or a lot of franchised business? At the same time start looking at homes "differently". This will start to fine tune "value" for you. Value is important because a great deal per door doesn't make it a great rental, but might for a flip.

    Know what gets you going. Do you want to buy and flip?  Do you want to buy fix?  Are you going to rent them and be a landlord or have someone else landlord it for you?  So many options! :)

  • Rental Property Investor · NY · Member since 2018 · 571 posts · 332 votes
    7y

    hi @Britt Lang

    @Dan Cone might be able to help you out with warsaw area :)

  • Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Peter Fennig:

    Hi there Brit and welcome to BP . I'm a full-time contractor here in Fort Wayne and if you're interested in networking , Drew Wiard who's a member here and also runs a local monthly REIA is definitely somebody to connect with. The meetings are free and are the first Wednesday of every month. If you ever have any questions or want to connect feel free to reach out to me, my email and phone number are on my profile

     Thank you Peter! I'll keep your information close. I also want to join the local group.

  • Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Drew Wiard:

    Hey @Britt! Would be happy to help you connect with folks! I, along with a couple of other folks, help to host the local REIA in Fort Wayne. feel free to send me a message, and I'll be happy to send you the link to our Facebook group, and help you get connected!

     Drew, I just joined the Facebook group. Look forward to meeting people at the next meeting!

  • Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Shannon S.:

    What advice I have and I'm far from an expert is this. There are some truly experienced folks who share great information.  So read, read, read.  Conferences are overpriced and are usually just to be ignored, you'll get 100x more from your local real-estate groups. 

    Start using zillow or redfin, MLS or whatever mass information source you have and start studying a few areas. What are the prices for a 3 bedroom? What are they for sale for and what did they sell for last? Learn how to classify what rents and sells in a few areas and for what. Sure it'll seem random at first, but after a few years. You'll be able to pin point it. A business minded real-estate agent can REALLY help jump start this too.

    Once you found an area you like, start driving around there. Sounds crazy, but being in the area in person really does give a lot of information that's hard to classify in the MLS. Notice the cars that are parked and if people that are walking around seem friendly or if young families are there or not. Does it have a lot of high class foodie areas or is it close to a college? Is there we buy gold signs, a Walmart or a lot of franchised business? At the same time start looking at homes "differently". This will start to fine tune "value" for you. Value is important because a great deal per door doesn't make it a great rental, but might for a flip.

    Know what gets you going. Do you want to buy and flip?  Do you want to buy fix?  Are you going to rent them and be a landlord or have someone else landlord it for you?  So many options! :)

     Shannon...thank you for the info you provided. I've actually started doing what I call "recon" in my local market as well as other markets I'm familiar with. Right now everything is on the table but favoring wholesaling, fix and rent, fix and flip.

  • Real Estate Agent · Warsaw, IN · Member since 2015 · 54 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    Hi Britt,  

    I'd be glad to be a resource to you here in the Warsaw/Winona area.   I'm a broker with an investing background.  We've helped a number of BiggerPocket folks and I can help you plug into the local community here in Kosciusko County.  Feel free to PM me.  

  • Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @James Bausch:

    Hi Britt,  

    I'd be glad to be a resource to you here in the Warsaw/Winona area.   I'm a broker with an investing background.  We've helped a number of BiggerPocket folks and I can help you plug into the local community here in Kosciusko County.  Feel free to PM me.  

     Thanks James! I'm currently living in Winona Lake and would love to network. I'll PM you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2014 · 251 posts · 129 votes
    7y

    There is a member named Dan Cone that is from somewhere over in that area that comes to our meetings pretty regularly.  You'll no doubt meet some more local folks if you can come see us at the next meeting!  (Jan 2nd).

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Winona Lake, IN · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    Hey Britt, welcome!  I live in Winona Lake as well and would be happy to connect with you.  Shoot me a message anytime.  

  • Rental Property Investor · NY · Member since 2018 · 571 posts · 332 votes
    7y

    @Drew Wiard I am thinking about visiting Fort Wayne area around the memorial day weekend. Any chance you can host the meeting around that time in May? :)

  • Justin WindhamPro Member
    Banker · Nationwide · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Welcome to Bigger Pockets, @Britt Lang!

    You'll find plenty of friendly, knowledgeable people willing to help respond to your questions. Many members are experts in their respective fields related to real estate investing, whether that is real estate brokerage, wholesaling, flipping, buy and hold, lending, self-directed IRA and Solo 401k investing, or tax and legal guidance.

    There are some pretty cool discounts on various products and services offered as Perks to BP members that you might want to check out: https://www.biggerpockets.com/perks/pro

    If you haven’t checked it out already, the Bigger Pockets blog features links to their awesome podcast and many great articles: https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/

    I really like the alerts feature that can quickly guide you to current topics that might interest you: http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

    There are a few self-contained guides that you can access here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/guides

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2014 · 251 posts · 129 votes
    7y

    @Michinori Kaneko Absolutely!!  We meet the 1st Wednesday of each month, so you can plan on May 1st at 6:30p.  I post a new "event" here on BP as we get closer!  Would LOVE to have you join us!

  • Rental Property Investor · NY · Member since 2018 · 571 posts · 332 votes
    7y

    @Drew Wiard ah, it's always the first wednesday huh.  I was thinking around memorial day (end of May) so I may not be able to attend :( Will keep you posted! Thank you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2016 · 258 posts · 177 votes
    7y

    @Britt Lang Welcome to Fort Wayne .There are two REIA meetups in Fort Wayne one every third Saturday of the month at 10am in Pro-tech building. And the second one is at Mike Thomas building on Coldwater Road every First Wednesday at 6:30pm and both have very knowledgeable people that are ready to share their knowledge for free.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.