Newbie living in Northern Virginia

Newbie living in Northern Virginia

Wholesaler · Greenville, SC · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 10 votes

Hello BP Community! I'm Simon and I'm originally from Dublin, Ireland but living in Northern Virginia (NOVA) just outside of Washington D.C for the last couple of years. My interest in real estate investing really only came on when I came to the US and saw how many opportunities there are here compared to back home. I've spent most of 2019 educating myself, reading books & blogs, listening to podcasts (a lot Brandon and David G.) and annoying my girlfriend with every new piece of information/skill I learn through this process....My plan is to get active in 2020, with the goal of getting at least one property under contract. Primarily looking at BRRRR as a strategy on SF or small MF if possible. Out of state is probably a likely option given the cost of housing near me, but I'll be looking locally initially.

I'm looking forward to connecting with this community and getting to know some of the great people on here!

Cheers

Simon

1Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Ozzy SirimsiBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 782 votes
6y

Welcome to BP

If you consider Baltimore, there are many people who can help.

Good Luck

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · McLean, VA · Member since 2013 · 53 posts · 18 votes
    6y

    @Simon Burton welcome to BP!

  • Realtor · Falls Church, VA · Member since 2019 · 23 posts · 16 votes
    6y

    Welcome, Simon! 

    I'm a complete noob as well - this might actually be my first post. I've lived in the DMV area since 2011 but currently serving in a three year assignment at the US Embassy in Nairobi, Kenya but will be returning to the DMV in July 2020 and WILL be getting into the real estate investing game. Right now I'm doing exactly what you're doing - reading, researching and listening to every BP podcast and bugging the crap out of my poor wife. My plans align with yours as I'm planning to implement the BRRRR (now BARRRR) strategy for SF and small MF in more affordable markets. I'm on a kick right now to find a place in the DMV to for the wife and I do house hack in order to keep our housing expenses low so if you have any leads/advice I'd be happy to listen especially since we've been away for a couple years - not really tracking the local DMV market. We're basically living for free over here so we're saving as much money as we can so when we return home, I'll have a nice stash of money to get started. Also, after listening to 100+ podcasts and from my reading/research, I'm not afraid to bust into my govt 401k which has been building up for almost 10 years now. Anyway - just wanted to reach out and say hi and tell you my ideas/goals.


    Best,
    Bryant

  • Wholesaler · Greenville, SC · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    Thanks @Hunter L.

  • Wholesaler · Greenville, SC · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    Thanks @Bryant Naylor. Sounds like you’ll have a good base of funds to get started next year. Best of luck! I’m trying my best to get my finances in order at the moment. I’m a little behind on my plans but going in the right direction at least.

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    @Simon Burton welcome to BP. Yes NOVA is expensive but there are areas close enough to you that are much less expensive. You can go farther out in VA or Prince Georges county, or Baltimore in MD.

  • Wholesaler · Greenville, SC · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    Thanks @Ned Carey.

    Yeah I’ve no problem driving am hour or two to an area that’s more suitable. Maryland is most likely my first target given there are several places within commuting distance of both DC and Baltimore and more in my price bracket starting off.

  • Ozzy SirimsiBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 782 votes
    6y

    Welcome to BP

    If you consider Baltimore, there are many people who can help.

    Good Luck

  • Rental Property Investor · MD · Member since 2018 · 287 posts · 205 votes
    6y

    @Simon Burton welcome to BP! Awesome to see you've got some goals for the upcoming year. Don't let that stop you from exploring areas you're interested in and running the numbers on deals. I wouldn't be timid about asking questions here either. DMV investors (especially us baltimore focused individuals) are pretty close knit here on BP.  There's wealth of knowledge and those willing to provide their unbiased perspective which has been monumental for me and my growth.  

    See you around

  • Cassidy BurnsBusiness Member
    Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2016 · 859 posts · 460 votes
    6y

    Welcome @Simon Burton .

    As a newbie/ first time investor in the DMV area, I always suggest at least exploring the "house hacking" option in your current market.

    -3-5% Down primary residence loan

    -Rent out : a bedroom, bedrooms, lower leveling ADU, or other units in the small multifamily space

    -Lower CAP rates, but less riskier investment

    -Supercharged ROI due to the 3-5% Down once turned into long term rental

    -Great experience of being a landlord which makes it easier to scale down the road.

    -Potential appreciation long term (cherry on top)

    Just my thoughts on how to get started!  Good luck and happy investing.

  • Wholesaler · Greenville, SC · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    Thanks @Ozzy Sirimsi! 

  • Wholesaler · Greenville, SC · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    Thanks @Solomon Morris! Appreciate the insights on the local area. It's very interesting to see how well people interact on here. I'm going to have to get out of my comfort zone a bit and get more active.... Looking forward to connecting. 

  • Wholesaler · Greenville, SC · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 10 votes
    6y

    Thanks for the great info @Cassidy Burns! I'm currently in negotiations with my significant other to consider house hacking and that might be my biggest hurdle. If we were to do that, small MF would more than likely be the most viable option so we have our own space. But you're right, at this early stage house hacking is the ideal start particularly as I'm not starting off with large cash reserves. I'll have to get somewhat creative. Just finished reading Matt Faircloth's Raising Private Capital and learned a lot. Next step is execution....

  • Real Estate Agent · Arlington, VA · Member since 2016 · 33 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Simon Burton Welcome! Let me know if I can help with anything! House hacking is probably your best bet with getting into the game!

  • Specialist · New York City, NY · Member since 2019 · 399 posts · 168 votes
    6y

    @Simon Burton

    Welcome to BiggerPockets! You came to the right place to learn more about real estate and connect with other motivated investors. BP is full of great content, so I strongly recommend you to have a look at the following resources:

    1. Start by reading the Ultimate Real Estate Investing Guide: https://www.biggerpockets.com/guides/ultimate-real-estate-investing-guide/introduction

    2. Then check out other online guides available here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/guides

    3. Have a look at BP's blog where new articles are published everyday: https://www.biggerpockets.com/blog

    4. If you wish to network or ask specific questions about your local market, you can go to your local real estate forum and discuss with investors from your area: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/86-local-real-estate-networking

    5. Or you can directly meet them by registering to real estate events around you: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521-events-and-happenings

    6. Finally, BP has various tools available to help you analyze your deals (rental, flips, wholesale, etc), feel free to use them: https://www.biggerpockets.com/investment-calculators

    Please let me know if I can help, and best of luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.