Newbie in Denver, Colorado

22 Replies

Hi everyone!

i'm Erin Snow. New to the BiggerPockets forum and eager to connect with other investors and people passionate about real estate!

My husband Bob and I moved to Denver in October 2017 from Ohio (Go Bucks!) for his job and fell in love with the area.

In the next 90 days, we want to purchase a SFH with a mother-in-law suite/basement or a B-class townhome in order to stop putting money toward rent and start building our Buy and Hold investment portfolio.

Long-term we want to partner with other investors interested in Buy and Hold and BRRRR investing to build a portfolio of multifamily properties.

We are currently passive, partial owners of a 25 unit property in Dayton, Ohio, which definitely kick-started the investing bug :)

I work full-time in digital marketing, focused on SEO and content marketing, for the eCommerce division of an enterprise tech company. I love geeking out on marketing technology, creating and automating processes, and testing different marketing strategies online. I have previous experience building WordPress sites and LeadPages, and am excited to apply my background to this new endeavor.

If you're in the Denver area or want to connect with another newbie interested in rentals, let's set up a time to chat!

Looking forward to being part of this awesome community!

Hi Erin,

Welcome to the community! Congrats on getting started.

Great learning about the ins and outs of investing and managing property. It's amazing to get up close to the action of closing and making deals.

I love that real estate is so multi faceted. The economics, financial, social and mechanical and legal make it fascinating to me.

Good luck on your endeavors and let me know if there's any way I can help!

-Craig Bellot

@Todd Pultz , thank you for the welcome message! Really appreciate the offer.

I'd love to learn more about your experience in Dayton. We started investing there with a friend who was local and have had good success with the property. Let's talk more!

@Zeke Liston , thanks for the welcome! My heart is forever in Columbus, Ohio. It'd be great to connect to learn more about the market, which has changed a lot since leaving in 2010 - it's always in the back of my mind!

Originally posted by @Erin Snow :

@Zeke Liston , thanks for the welcome! My heart is forever in Columbus, Ohio. It'd be great to connect to learn more about the market, which has changed a lot since leaving in 2010 - it's always in the back of my mind!

If you have any questions about the market here currently feel free to reach out! 

@Erin Snow

Welcome to the forums! And I hear you about falling in love. I moved from the midwest to Colorado about 10 years ago and never looked back. The city is great, but what I always come back to is the nature and the weather. (No more weeks on end of overcast weather.)

Anyway, it sounds like you're taking some big steps. That's exciting. We love the mother-in-law suite idea. We've seen a number of clients who aren't psyched about the traditional rent-by-the-room house hack go the basement apartment route to still offset their mortgage while also maintaining some privacy.

I wish you luck whatever you end up doing. Cheers!

Originally posted by @Erin Snow :

Hi everyone!

i'm Erin Snow. New to the BiggerPockets forum and eager to connect with other investors and people passionate about real estate!

My husband Bob and I moved to Denver in October 2017 from Ohio (Go Bucks!) for his job and fell in love with the area.

In the next 90 days, we want to purchase a SFH with a mother-in-law suite/basement or a B-class townhome in order to stop putting money toward rent and start building our Buy and Hold investment portfolio.

Long-term we want to partner with other investors interested in Buy and Hold and BRRRR investing to build a portfolio of multifamily properties.

We are currently passive, partial owners of a 25 unit property in Dayton, Ohio, which definitely kick-started the investing bug :)

I work full-time in digital marketing, focused on SEO and content marketing, for the eCommerce division of an enterprise tech company. I love geeking out on marketing technology, creating and automating processes, and testing different marketing strategies online. I have previous experience building WordPress sites and LeadPages, and am excited to apply my background to this new endeavor.

If you're in the Denver area or want to connect with another newbie interested in rentals, let's set up a time to chat!

Looking forward to being part of this awesome community!

Are you looking to invest more in Ohio? 

@Erin Snow Welcome to Denver! Having moved here from the mid-west almost 30 years ago, I get the allure to get here and never leave! I'd love to connect some time to see you want to talk about what's going on in the market here.

@Remington Lyman, it's a good possibility, but we're prioritizing this next property first just so we can stop paying for rent first!

I will keep both Zeke and you in mind though.

Thanks!

@James Carlson , thanks for the welcome! Where in the midwest did you move from? We do not miss the constant gray and extra cold winters.

That's one of the reasons why we're looking at something with a MIL to start. It's great that there seem to be more options for that in Denver too. Certainly more competition for those options as well.

Appreciate the well wishes, and hope to cross paths!

@Mike Wadsley , thanks for the welcome message! We meet quite a few former midwesterners in Denver. 

And thank you for the offer! We have a lot to learn about the market, so it would be great to connect.

Have a great weekend!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you