Looking to build a Mastermind Group in Maine

Looking to build a Mastermind Group in Maine

Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 7 votes

Hey Mainers, 

I am new to the Biggerpockets forum, but not podcast or books. I have been procrastinating about joining and starting to create transformational relationships with others, that are looking to build an investment portfolio. I am owner a handyman services company that has done really well since I launched it 2019. I am looking to connect and build a Mastermind Group that will benefit it's members. I am located in Augusta, Maine and am willing to meet or talk.

I have a lot of how's and I believe there are others out there that are looking for the who's to their how's. Let me know if you want to connect. I look forward to hearing from you.

4Reply
146 views

Most Popular Reply

Portland, ME · Member since 2012 · 616 posts · 550 votes
5y

There are several landlord associations across Maine. Greater Bangor, Central Maine (Waterville), Augusta, Southern Maine, and Lewiston Auburn are the ones I've been involved with. Lewiston Auburn is looking for a part time executive director to guide us into the 21st century. Yes, we are a bit late! The pay is minimal and it involves doing paperwork, but what a great opportunity to network for an ambitious agent or investor! 

See this reply in the discussion

36 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dan WeberBusiness Member
    Realtor · Portland, ME · Member since 2015 · 655 posts · 552 votes
    5y

    @Kyle Black welcome to the forums! There's plenty of Maine investors on here scattered up and down the coast with lots of great local info.

  • Hampden, ME · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    Hey Kyle, 

    I am in investor in the Waterville area. I say that being brand new just having purchased my first Duplex in Winslow, which I am working on rehabbing. I am not sure if your goal is to drum up some work for your business or discuss real estate, but I would definitely be interested in making some connections in the area!

    Best,

    Justin

  • Real Estate Agent · Auburn Maine · Member since 2020 · 40 posts · 14 votes
    5y

    Hey Kyle, 

    I have done carpentry for years and am now a real estate agent in Lewiston/Auburn area. Also in the process of buying my first flip and have one rental. Would love to connect and meet up to talk sometime. I am up that way often for another business I run/own, so lets connect. 

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    Justin, I am currently working on a home renovation in Fairfield, I will be there till the middle of January. Let me know when you want to grab lunch. 

    Josh, let me know when your in Augusta, I will be branching out into the Lewiston/Auburn area within the next year or so. 

    Kyle

  • Rental Property Investor · western Maine · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 1 vote
    5y

    Hi Kyle,

    I too am interested in connecting with other local investors in Maine.  I'm located in Western Maine, in the Oxford Hills Area and haven't connected with anyone in this area yet. I sometimes feel like I'm still flying by the seat of my pants.   I currently own 6 single family homes and a duplex. Let me know how I can assist you in setting up and connecting a local mastermind group.

    Jenn 

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    Jen, I am game to meet up. Let me know and we will schedule it. 

    Kyle

  • Specialist · Milford, ME · Member since 2016 · 630 posts · 378 votes
    5y

    What’s your intent with a group?

  • Real Estate Agent · Auburn Maine · Member since 2020 · 40 posts · 14 votes
    5y

    I expect for some of us we are not 100% sure what we are looking for int his, so maybe having a dialogue would be a good starting point? 

    What if we were to schedule a zoom for the start of the year for those from around Maine and just do a short introduction of each of us, and then see what may be a good schedule or rhythm moving forward. I am not sure if there are any BP rules or guidelines on this, as I am new to this page. 

    Just a thought. 

  • Portland, ME · Member since 2012 · 616 posts · 550 votes
    5y

    Hi, Please add me to the list. You can message me for my email address when the time comes. I have experience in flipping and commercial and residential rentals.  I'm looking to move into properties that have enough units to support on-site maintenance and management, either in Maine or in a sun belt state.

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    Josh, that is what I was thinking as well. 

    Ed, I am looking to build a group that helps each other grow their investments and share ideas and bounce ideas off each other. People to give and receive advice.

    Amy, I will let you know. 

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    I don’t not know if this is breaking any rules and regulations either. I hear the BP podcast talk a lot about having mastermind groups. I will check the rules again.

  • Specialist · Milford, ME · Member since 2016 · 630 posts · 378 votes
    5y

    I could probably help some, let me know when you get it together, if your interested.

  • New to Real Estate · Westbrook, ME · Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Count me in as well! I would love to get connected with more Maine investors and hear about other folks’ strategies. I am currently looking for a small multi unit in the Greater Portland area to house hack. Good idea Kyle!

  • Jen WhiteheadPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Southern Maine · Member since 2019 · 40 posts · 36 votes
    5y

    Hi Kyle, Count me in too! I would love to join a group through zoom. I became a Realtor a couple of years ago because I wanted to be able to represent me and my husband. I ended up falling in love with the career and helping others. We own our home in Gorham, one property in D.C. and one investment property on Little Sebago. We'd love to expand buying more camps in our association on Little Sebago and buying single families in the Greater Portland area and I'm also considering the Auburn area and Lewiston (around Bates College). Looking forward to brainstorming with other like minded investors! TY!

  • Real Estate Agent · Auburn Maine · Member since 2020 · 40 posts · 14 votes
    5y

    Send myself or Kyle your email and we will set up a zoom first of the new year. 

    We will figure out a time and also put together a short agenda so we can have time to introduce ourselves and talk about what works best for us moving forward. 

    Have a great weekend, Josh

  • Rental Property Investor · Sunshine Coast, QLD AUST · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    I would be interested in getting involved as well. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Biddeford, ME · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 0 votes
    5y

    Hi Kyle,

    I'd be interested in joining in. I'm a small-time landlord down in Biddeford, currently looking to expand. Feel free to message me for my email.

    Brendan

  • Investor · Biddeford, ME · Member since 2020 · 29 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    Hey @Kyle Black great initiative! I’m currently closing on a Triplex in Biddeford and happy to connect and have a dialogue! Feel free to private message me if need be

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    Could you send me your email addresses, so we can set up the Zoom intro after the new year?  Would you prefer a Monday or Friday? I look forward to meeting you all and seeing how we can have create some transformational relationships.

  • Bethany TuronPro Member
    Property Manager · Durham, ME · Member since 2019 · 179 posts · 102 votes
    5y

    @Kyle Black Good to see an investor wanting to connect in the Augusta area! I live in Durham and Augusta is one of the market I am looking in. I’d be happy to connect and help build a group. I also have a Maine real estate investing FB group you can join and reach out to people on. Not active but it’s pretty new.

  • Rental Property Investor · ME · Member since 2018 · 179 posts · 59 votes
    5y

    Please add me to list semi newish landlord with 14 doors from Oxford hills area. Love be included. 

    Few suggestions...can we please 

    1. start Maine wide bp like landlord association to use our collective bargaining position purchasing power to get lower rates for state wide companies services who want service us ALL  with services ie propane, oil, and trades people, lawyers, insurance agents,  lenders etc.  Key they must be able willing service entire state AND they GIVE LEGIT DISCOUNT of at least 5%. 

    big ?????

    2. Need quarterly emailed "newsletter" to update all localized zoom or in person meetings and support each other with electronic copy or cloud based copy of accessible group issues and accept group wide edits or input to common Maine issues and answers and step by step download-able guide on "Mainers how to" or how to be landlord in Maine etc and FAQ section affecting Maine investors and all the attached Maine issues . In addition to bp stuff we already have access too. But only Maine specfic with links. Help us all and help local neighbors in businesses that help us grow.

    3. Maybe ?? Be willing to pay fee for this service yearly if allowed if not too complex legally????

    4. Must own or live in Maine  and be BP  member to be full vested member in maine or add 2nd category of as associate member for people on outskirts or who service parts maine but not all state.  Ie one county etc

    5. any other ideas help us grow ? 

    6. Maybe im delirious lack sleep and our snow load says this bad idea?

    thanks

    Jeremy 

  • Real Estate Agent · Auburn Maine · Member since 2020 · 40 posts · 14 votes
    5y

    Love it @Jeremy A.! I am good friends with someone who helped run a landlord group in Lewiston/Auburn and did a lot of what you talked about. I will speak to her about her experience and tips. I think a zoom call early Jan will get the ball rolling, then hopefully by Spring we can have some more clarity and things moving forward! 

    @Kyle Black I am flexible on timing. Monday or Friday can work for me. 

  • Portland, ME · Member since 2012 · 616 posts · 550 votes
    5y

    There are several landlord associations across Maine. Greater Bangor, Central Maine (Waterville), Augusta, Southern Maine, and Lewiston Auburn are the ones I've been involved with. Lewiston Auburn is looking for a part time executive director to guide us into the 21st century. Yes, we are a bit late! The pay is minimal and it involves doing paperwork, but what a great opportunity to network for an ambitious agent or investor! 

  • Specialist · Milford, ME · Member since 2016 · 630 posts · 378 votes
    5y

    @Jeremy A. what you’re describing sounds like an association not a mastermind group. @Kyle Black With a lot of people maybe a Facebook group would be better. For a mastermind group to work, I would think there should be few people involved to be of any real value, 10 max. There is a large range of experience in the responses so far. I think there should be some kind of grouping of goals, experience, type of investment interest, etc. Otherwise there isn’t enough specific info to help most people. Just my opinion.

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 7 votes
    5y

    @Ed Emmons, I am amazed at the response that has been received and I would not be against a FB group if everyone else is on board.

    I think a zoom meet and greet would be beneficial too. If you are all on board how does Friday, January 8 at 3pm Saturday, January 9 at 9am. Let me know what day works best.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.