Semi- Professional Poker Player, EMR Consultant, Real Estate Newbie

16 Replies

Hello Everyone,

My name is Ben Grise. I'm a part time poker player who has had a lot of success on the tournament circuit. I've final tabled a WSOP (World Series of Poker) Event, a WSOP Circuit event, and have been on television in a Heartland Poker Tour event.

When I'm not playing poker I'm working as a Electronic Medical Record Software Training Consultant. I basically travel around the country or if I'm extremely lucky I find a contract in Indianapolis where I teach Providers and Nurses how to use their EMR software.

I'm not always on contract as a EMR Consultant. Therefore I've been looking into pursuing the world of Wholesaling to supplement my income. That's how I discovered BiggerPockets and I can't put the computer down. I hope to do my first deal before the end of the year.

I'm thinking my brief past as a mortgage banker will help me understand the financial aspect of wholesaling. I'm so close to pulling the trigger and start my marketing campaign, but I'm scared I don't know everything I need to know. However, that's what the community at BP is here for. If I find a good deal I'm sure with the help of the community I can get it closed.

Happy Hunting,
Ben

Ben, welcome to BP, We are glad you're here and you'll find a ton of wisdom on wholesaling or REI in general. Be sure to check out the Ultimate Beginners Guide as well as the Podcasts (both have info on wholesaling). I wish you the best!

Ps, if you go back to your profile you'll find an orientation switcher to turn your avatar up-right,

I saw that orientation switcher. Fixed it! I'm devouring all the content I can. Thanks!

Hi Ben welcome.In total agreement with Brendan you'll find a ton of real life tools and information about real estate investing here on BP. my suggestion to you would be to download the Bigger Pockets Ultimate beginners guide to real estate investing.

Welcome, @Ben G. . I do a lot of commuting for my job, too, and I've found that listening to the BP podcasts (sometimes over and over) on my phone while traveling is an excellent way to maximize efficiency, learn on the go, and make my drive much more enjoyable.

Good luck in your endeavors!
-Mitch

Welcome! I'm in Indy too. Maybe we can help each other out :) message me!

Ben

Welcome. In your travels find the local REIA clubs attend the meeting and build your contacts.

Paul

Welcome to BiggerPockets @Ben G. !

One of our Moderators, J Scott was a poker player as well! Indy is a great market, I own a duplex there and I love it.

Glad to have you aboard. See you around the site!

Thanks for being so welcoming everyone! Is there any way to do the @ reply without having to type the entire username out? Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by @Ben G. :
Thanks for being so welcoming everyone! Is there any way to do the @ reply without having to type the entire username out? Thanks for the help.

Hey @Ben Grise - there used to be a way, but the shortcut isn't working right now - we just updated the system. Before, you could just type @adngoik (just type random text) and it would show a list of all the people already in the thread. Much easier - but it went away with the new update. I'm working on the developer to bring it back.

But yeah, anyways - welcome to the site! Glad to have you on board!

@Ben G. Nice job on the Poker Circuit! How is your investing career going?

@Brian Ortins

Thank you Brian. It is going well so far. I had a goal of closing my first deal before the end of the year and we are scheduled to close on December 27th. My next goal is to close my next deal before the end of February.

Congrats! Would love to see the numbers on the deal. I have been researching potential buy and hold SFH in Fort Wayne, and would appreciate any insight with investing in Indiana.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here