Bourbon and Whiskey?

Bourbon and Whiskey?

Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes

This is really going to be off topic!  Who in the BP community is a Bourbon and Whiskey drinker, collector or snob.  I have begun to collect and really learn more about the art of Bourbon and have taken a break from reading books about  Real Estate for a few months to reset a little and have dove head first in to the world of bourbon.  The last 2 years I have collected over 80 different bottle and gotten my hands on a good bit of the staples.  Of course the unicorns are crazy expensive and hard to like the Pappys and Birthday Bourbon are still on my wish list.  So let use this thread to relax a bit a talk Juice! 

So what is everyones FAV's?  I'll start with a craft bourbon out of Chicago,  Koval Bourbon (Wheated).  The aroma is amazing and the taste either neat or over ice is smooth and warm with a little bit of hug!

Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
10Reply
428 views

Most Popular Reply

Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
Moderator
Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y

Hey @Joseph Beilke - To be honest, I just gave up drinking not too long and feel amazing!  I did enjoy bourbon from time to time and my dad does too.  Although I am here in Chicago, I lived in Lousiville and really loved Four Roses.

See this reply in the discussion

90 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Mokena, IL · Member since 2011 · 89 posts · 63 votes
    3y

    Chicago area here! I lean a bit more towards Scotch than bourbon but enjoy them both. We end up stocking about 50/50 because my wife will drink my bourbon (she doesn't want her own glass, she just wants some of mine even if I'm not having some).

    As far as Scotch goes, I really prefer the full-bodied, heavily-peated stuff from Islay and my favorite is the Lagavulin 16. Talisker 10 is an accessible single malt if you're coming from the bourbon side where things tend to be much smoother, like the Highland Scotches. 

  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes
    3y

    @Alex Fenske

    A friend of mind actually asked me yesterday about Scotch.  He sips JW Blue, and looking to change it up.  I told him, just because I love Bourbon does't mean I know anything about Scotch.  Thanks for the insight, I will surely pass this info along to him.

    Come on folks, its the slow season let hear more about Spirits!

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
  • Investor · Charlottesville Virginia · Member since 2021 · 348 posts · 346 votes
    3y

    I am a bourbon and whiskey lover but I don't have the money to spend on the expensive stuff yet. Woodford Reserve is probably my go to but so far my favorite is Jefferson's Ocean. They age the barrels on ships at sea and it has a very complex flavor profile that is very salted caramely to me, I only drink it when I hit milestones or goals!

  • Clay SmithBusiness Member
    Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2013 · 419 posts · 244 votes
    3y

    Try GetHappyBalls dot com. They are a local Louisville, KY homemade kitchen that makes Bourban balls and they are great Christmas gifts. We sent them to our larger clients. I don't drink but the local KREE Holiday party had nothing but 4 roses, Woodford, Makers Mark, and bourbon in every Secret Santa gift.

    LREI Property Management LLC4.6442 Reviews
  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Joseph Beilke - To be honest, I just gave up drinking not too long and feel amazing!  I did enjoy bourbon from time to time and my dad does too.  Although I am here in Chicago, I lived in Lousiville and really loved Four Roses.

  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes
    3y

    @Jacob St. Martin

    Jefferson's Ocean is the juice that got me into learning and enjoying bourbon and whiskey.  I visited Kentucky Artisan Distillery during a bourbon trail tour for my bother birthday a few years back.  The store behind the first Voyage was awesome and how they couldn't even sell the product because after 6 years at sea, because it was as black as a witches heart and tasted like coal.  But the story and history got me hooked.  I have a few voyages current in my collection.  I would love to find 15 because if the special wheated blend.   You also talk about Woodford Reserve, the grounds are beautiful and the brass pot stills are amazing. My favorite from Woodford is Double Oaked.

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes
    3y

    .

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
  • Stephanie P.Pro Member
    Washington, DC Mortgage Lender/Broker · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Joseph Beilke:

    This is really going to be off topic!  Who in the BP community is a Bourbon and Whiskey drinker, collector or snob.  I have begun to collect and really learn more about the art of Bourbon and have taken a break from reading books about  Real Estate for a few months to reset a little and have dove head first in to the world of bourbon.  The last 2 years I have collected over 80 different bottle and gotten my hands on a good bit of the staples.  Of course the unicorns are crazy expensive and hard to like the Pappys and Birthday Bourbon are still on my wish list.  So let use this thread to relax a bit a talk Juice! 

    So what is everyones FAV's?  I'll start with a craft bourbon out of Chicago,  Koval Bourbon (Wheated).  The aroma is amazing and the taste either neat or over ice is smooth and warm with a little bit of hug!


     I asked my husband (he's the bourbon drinker) and sent me an email to cut and paste with the following.

    Best topic on BP!  Thanks for doing this so close to Christmas so maybe my wife will send it to my kids to get a couple of bottles for the billiard room.

    Anyway...

    I've tried Woodford Reserve, Buffalo Trace, Booker's, even Blanton and of course the staple of Maker's Mark (I'm an ambassador) but I keep coming back to Evan Williams.  My daughter was getting married and her now husband's family worked for Evan Williams in Louisville.  They brought in cases of Evan Williams 1783 and it was fantastic (and half the price of Maker's).  They've since changed the proof from 86 to 90, so it is a little stronger than I like, but still really tasty.  For normal just sitting around sipping whiskey at the end of the day, it's Evan Williams Black label for me.  Hard pass at Jack Daniels and Wild Turkey (bad experiences with them in my youth).  

    All the best folks.

    Stephanie

  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes
    3y

    So Four Roses have been brought up a few times.  I have one bottle of 4R Small batch Select. For some reason I keep passing it over for more craft bourbons.  I need to break it out and have a taste.  @Stephanie P. I do not have any Evan Williams.  I have tried it, but it give me headaches.  I love Capt Morgan, but Sailor Jerry does the same think with Headache.  I guess some spirits just do not get along with me.  

    I recently got an Advent Calendar, 24 days or Bourbon and American Whiskey.  If you want to follow along for each days surprise my instagram is @bluerubi04. Follow me for juice and I will also be posting updates for build to rent project I am doing with an investor. 

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
  • Member since 2021 · 240 posts · 300 votes
    3y
    I'm a fan of Old Camp Peach/Pecan whiskey. It's fairly cheap and tastes like it's been aged in wooden barrels. Very sweet though.
  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes
    3y

    @Account Closed

    New Oak Barrels most likely. Whiskey is not as strict as bourbon but I believe that  "NEW" Oak barrel requirement is the same.

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
  • James WilcoxBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Bowling Green KY ~ Lexington, KY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Joseph Beilke:

    This is really going to be off topic!  Who in the BP community is a Bourbon and Whiskey drinker, collector or snob.  I have begun to collect and really learn more about the art of Bourbon and have taken a break from reading books about  Real Estate for a few months to reset a little and have dove head first in to the world of bourbon.  The last 2 years I have collected over 80 different bottle and gotten my hands on a good bit of the staples.  Of course the unicorns are crazy expensive and hard to like the Pappys and Birthday Bourbon are still on my wish list.  So let use this thread to relax a bit a talk Juice! 

    So what is everyones FAV's?  I'll start with a craft bourbon out of Chicago,  Koval Bourbon (Wheated).  The aroma is amazing and the taste either neat or over ice is smooth and warm with a little bit of hug!


    Oh dang all the KY folks better be posting on this thread. Ok here me out on this. I am not a huge bourbon fan (IK KY gods forgive me). I like to hide the liquor a little bit but I can put it down with the best of them. That being said, I think Four Roses Single Barrel is a great bourbon especially for mixing. It is very reasonably priced and easily available. Mix that with a shot or a shot and a half with a KY classic soda called Ale-8 (ginger ale soda) and of course some large ice. It really hits the spot. Just a good end-of-the-work-week drink. My own special that I make. I call it the Kentucky Classic.

    REI James w/ eXp Realty54 Reviews
  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes
    3y

    So who here as a bottle of Pappy, any age and is it worth all the hype.  I might have a solid chance to finally get a bottle.  Its not MSRP but it also not crazy high.  I'm looking at a 15 year old for $1K, it from a private seller.  Thoughts?

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2021 · 39 posts · 37 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Joseph Beilke:

    So who here as a bottle of Pappy, any age and is it worth all the hype.  I might have a solid chance to finally get a bottle.  Its not MSRP but it also not crazy high.  I'm looking at a 15 year old for $1K, it from a private seller.  Thoughts?


    Bourbon lover here! I used to own a small bistro focused on craft wine, beers and bourbon/scotch in Washington state. I sold it to move to FL and focus full time on RE. I've had quite wide variety of the brown stuff. Don't kill me here but I've had several batches of Pappy and IMO it's just meh. Granted, I didn't pay for them so maybe my palate was skewed a bit as those that were sharing - I had several hard core collectors as customers turned friends -  they were often proud to share the price and method of obtaining, but I just don't feel the cost was worth the taste. Being in this circle was fun as I was privy to some off-market bottles. I bought 3 different bottles of Blood Oath about 4 years ago for $125/bottle through one of these collectors. I sat on bottles often so we'd always have something fun to highlight that our competitors didn't. A couple months before I sold, I put them up as a flight special for $45. Luckily, said customer saw our IG post about it and called me in a panic. The bottles were now selling at auctions and one variation was going for $3000! I pulled them immediately and stashed them in my office. I didn't count them in inventory when I sold ;) Someday, when I get that $1m listing, I'll bust them out! If there are any other Blood Oath Collectors, what series do you have? I have Pact #2,#3 & #6.

    While I mostly drink wine at home (I brought almost 10 cases with me) I do enjoy a good Old Fashioned, and it's made with Old Granddad. Around $20/bottle and it's perfect for that recipe. If I'm sipping straight, I enjoy High West and Whistle Pig Rye. Speaking of Old Fashioned, why do so many FL bars muddle the fruit? It's a disgrace. I've learned to ask, or don't order them unless I'm in a higher end place. I am just not used to having to be aware. 

    Cheers!

  • Chuck B.Pro Member
    Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2011 · 279 posts · 248 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jacob St. Martin:

    I am a bourbon and whiskey lover but I don't have the money to spend on the expensive stuff yet. Woodford Reserve is probably my go to but so far my favorite is Jefferson's Ocean. They age the barrels on ships at sea and it has a very complex flavor profile that is very salted caramely to me, I only drink it when I hit milestones or goals!

    @Jacob St. Martin  I used to drink Woodford exclusively and then a buddy of mine who owned a bar sat me down to try Old Forester a couple of times and I made the switch. OldFo is now our house well. 

  • Investor · Charlottesville Virginia · Member since 2021 · 348 posts · 346 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Chuck B.:
    Quote from @Jacob St. Martin:

    I am a bourbon and whiskey lover but I don't have the money to spend on the expensive stuff yet. Woodford Reserve is probably my go to but so far my favorite is Jefferson's Ocean. They age the barrels on ships at sea and it has a very complex flavor profile that is very salted caramely to me, I only drink it when I hit milestones or goals!

    @Jacob St. Martin  I used to drink Woodford exclusively and then a buddy of mine who owned a bar sat me down to try Old Forester a couple of times and I made the switch. OldFo is now our house well. 


     Which old forester do you like? I tried the 1910 once and I wasn't that into it but maybe I need to give it another shot

  • Chuck B.Pro Member
    Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2011 · 279 posts · 248 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jacob St. Martin:
    Quote from @Chuck B.:
    Quote from @Jacob St. Martin:

    I am a bourbon and whiskey lover but I don't have the money to spend on the expensive stuff yet. Woodford Reserve is probably my go to but so far my favorite is Jefferson's Ocean. They age the barrels on ships at sea and it has a very complex flavor profile that is very salted caramely to me, I only drink it when I hit milestones or goals!

    @Jacob St. Martin  I used to drink Woodford exclusively and then a buddy of mine who owned a bar sat me down to try Old Forester a couple of times and I made the switch. OldFo is now our house well. 


     Which old forester do you like? I tried the 1910 once and I wasn't that into it but maybe I need to give it another shot

    Just the basic OldFo, 89 proof I think. I asked him why he thought I'd like it more than Woodford and he said he didn't but that a lot of people that like Woodford like it as well. Bar owner skills, I guess? Enjoy the journey!
  • Lender · Member since 2022 · 338 posts · 374 votes
    3y

    Bourbon all the way!

  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes
    3y

    I'm working my way through the Old Forester Line of bourbons.  I will say my favorite is 1920 which I am starting to see less and less of.  Some places are evening putting behind the counter now or in locked cases.  I heard from a local bourbon junky that it may go allocated soon.   When I was in Ky last Sept I was finally able to try the Birthday Bourbon, WOW! it was good, now I understand why my one buddy loves it some much.   Another one almost impossible to get.

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes
    3y

    Scored a Weller Antique 107 for MSRP!  XMAS come early.

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · New Braunfels, TX · Member since 2022 · 408 posts · 408 votes
    3y

    @Joseph Beilke

    Thanks for this post. We tried Woodford Reserve and Old Forester over the holidays. First time for both. Would definitely recommend both but Woodford Reserve has the strong flavor I like the most. Cheers🥃 🥃 

  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes
    3y

    @Account Closed

    Which Woodford did you try?  I love their Wheated and Double Oak the best.  Same for Old Forester, I enjoy 1920 and Statesman.  

    What does the crowd think about Benchmark line?

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
  • Louisville, KY · Member since 2015 · 166 posts · 83 votes
    3y

    @Joseph Beilke

    Well, you’re welcome! Distiller here. I make the Woodford and Old Forester.

  • Eric StewartPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2023 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    3y

    New to BP and saw your post and thought this would be a good first post 😂. I’ve gotten into drinking bourbon a few years back while drinking with my buddies in the Marine Corps. I love it. I love all the different tastes, how they bottle them, and the backstories. I’m still learning how to taste all the subtle differences and what I like to look for overall. I think you can’t go wrong with the Buffalo Trace line though! Eagle Rare or Weller Antique 107 have been my favorites!

  • Tim DelaneyPro Member
    Buffalo, NY · Member since 2018 · 790 posts · 530 votes
    3y

    Liquor store owner from Buffalo, NY here (all the references to Buffalo Trace set off my alerts 🤣). George T Stagg and William L Weller have been a couple of my favorites over the years. Pappy's are very good as well, but not worth the secondary market prices (@Joseph Beilke).

    Four Roses is a very good consistent distillery - their single barrels (especially ones handpicked by a store or bar) are outstanding. And on that note, I highly encourage you to find Store Pick single barrels. These are barrels that store owners/managers/customers work with distilleries on to hand select a unique barrel that is bottled exclusively for their establishment. The flavors are unique and you will never get the identical bottle anywhere else.

    @Janel Kolbo I have some Pact #8 available for sale at retail if you're interested. I can ship to FL.

    For those just getting started some great entry level bottles that won't break the bank are Elijah Craig, 1792 Small Batch, Old Grand Dad 114, and Eagle Rare (if you can find it).

    Important thing to remember is that bourbon and whiskey is a lot like art - there are definitely some underlying qualities that make it "good" or "bad" but for the most part the flavors and proof combination is somewhat subjective. Just like two people can look at a Picasso and one is willing to pay millions and the other would rather have their toddler's art work hanging on the wall, a bottle of bourbon can hit different people differently.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.