Bourbon and Whiskey?

Bourbon and Whiskey?

Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes

This is really going to be off topic!  Who in the BP community is a Bourbon and Whiskey drinker, collector or snob.  I have begun to collect and really learn more about the art of Bourbon and have taken a break from reading books about  Real Estate for a few months to reset a little and have dove head first in to the world of bourbon.  The last 2 years I have collected over 80 different bottle and gotten my hands on a good bit of the staples.  Of course the unicorns are crazy expensive and hard to like the Pappys and Birthday Bourbon are still on my wish list.  So let use this thread to relax a bit a talk Juice! 

So what is everyones FAV's?  I'll start with a craft bourbon out of Chicago,  Koval Bourbon (Wheated).  The aroma is amazing and the taste either neat or over ice is smooth and warm with a little bit of hug!

Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
10Reply
437 views

Most Popular Reply

Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
Moderator
Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y

Hey @Joseph Beilke - To be honest, I just gave up drinking not too long and feel amazing!  I did enjoy bourbon from time to time and my dad does too.  Although I am here in Chicago, I lived in Lousiville and really loved Four Roses.

See this reply in the discussion

90 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes
    3y

    @Tim Delaney

    I have recently been traveling central and NE Florida looking for stores that sell at MSRP.  I have found a handful, but when it comes to Juice like Birthday Bourbon or some of the other Toasted pours they either save them for high volume customers or they lottery the bottle to a winner and sell it at MSRP.  If you got some special stuff your able and willing  to ship to FL please DM me.

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    I'm a scotch guy and my wife loves the bourbon. My favorite scotch - Laphroig 10 yr. The older ones are smoother, but I ain't into smooth, I like the smoky peat taste...my wife says I 'smell like dirt'. 2nd place is The McCallan.

    I do occasionally go with bourbon though and we both like Bulliet. Another good whiskey is John Rich's Redneck Riviera. The new Yellowstone is a really good bourbon as well.

    So I heard a few years ago (from a Bevmo manager) that Bourbon County, Ky was suing anyone who called their whiskey a Bourbon and it wasn't distilled in the County. I never heard where that went...anyone know? Because the old law was that in order to be called a 'Bourbon', it had to be distilled in Bourbon County, Ky....

  • Tim DelaneyPro Member
    Buffalo, NY · Member since 2018 · 790 posts · 530 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Joseph Beilke:

    @Tim Delaney

    I have recently been traveling central and NE Florida looking for stores that sell at MSRP.  I have found a handful, but when it comes to Juice like Birthday Bourbon or some of the other Toasted pours they either save them for high volume customers or they lottery the bottle to a winner and sell it at MSRP.  If you got some special stuff your able and willing  to ship to FL please DM me.

    The special stuff goes to my regular customers at fair prices as you've noticed with the places you've tried. I have some awesome barrel picks right now that are pretty unique - I can dm you the links to those if you're interested.

    I tell people all the time, don't try to check out every store possible hoping to find a unicorn. Shop consistently with a locally owned store that is convenient for you to stop at often. Get to know the staff. Don't use coupons and don't only buy things on sale. Buy at regular prices and buy wine in addition to your whiskey (our margins on liquor suck - we're lucky to make a few bucks on the average bottle). Share samples of unique bottles that they do sell you - often times the owner and or staff never get to try some of these things because we try to make sure our customers have the chance to buy them.

  • Tim DelaneyPro Member
    Buffalo, NY · Member since 2018 · 790 posts · 530 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    I'm a scotch guy and my wife loves the bourbon. My favorite scotch - Laphroig 10 yr. The older ones are smoother, but I ain't into smooth, I like the smoky peat taste...my wife says I 'smell like dirt'. 2nd place is The McCallan.

    I do occasionally go with bourbon though and we both like Bulliet. Another good whiskey is John Rich's Redneck Riviera. The new Yellowstone is a really good bourbon as well.

    So I heard a few years ago (from a Bevmo manager) that Bourbon County, Ky was suing anyone who called their whiskey a Bourbon and it wasn't distilled in the County. I never heard where that went...anyone know? Because the old law was that in order to be called a 'Bourbon', it had to be distilled in Bourbon County, Ky....


    Not sure about the lawsuit - I've never heard about it. As far as the law goes though, being distilled in Kentucky (or Bourbon County specifically) was never a thing. The only laws for labeling something a bourbon are that it a) needs to be at least 51% corn in the mash bill, b) it needs to be aged in virgin American oak barrels, and c) if it is aged in barrels for less than four years the age needs to be prominently displayed on the label.

  • Louisville, KY · Member since 2015 · 166 posts · 83 votes
    3y

    @Joseph Beilke 1920 is most people’s favorite. We are expanding ( just like every other distillery). Bigger distillery equals more bourbon.

  • Tim DelaneyPro Member
    Buffalo, NY · Member since 2018 · 790 posts · 530 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kevin Allen:

    @Joseph Beilke 1920 is most people’s favorite. We are expanding ( just like every other distillery). Bigger distillery equals more bourbon.

     Looking forward to more juice @Kevin Allen! I did a single barrel pick of the OF 100 proof a couple years ago - been on the waiting list for full proof for awhile! We've also done five single barrels and custom blends of Woodford and Woodford Double Oak. Keep up the great work!

  • Nick BelskyBusiness Member
    Residential and Commercial Broker · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 704 votes
    3y

    @Joseph Beilke

    Interesting topic.  

    I am partial to Single Malt Scotch, mostly anything out of the Islay region; namely Lagavulin or Laphroigh.  Love Balvenie if enjoying with a Nicaraguan Cigar.  On the bourbon front, love Pappy neat, but also love Angel's Envy Rye in a proper Sazerac with absinthe.  

    Cheers!

    Belsky Mortgage, LLC527 Reviews
  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes
    3y

    Well, I just spent the last two week in Costa Rica and the alone Bourbon or Whiskey I was able to drink was standard old #7 Jack and once I got Beam.  The rest of week it was Rum or Imperial Beer.  Tonight I broke open a bottle of Basil Hayen's Subtle Smoke and I will say it just over took BH Toasted as one of my Favs.  This juice is very smooth and a wonderful aroma with hints of all kinds of stuff that I can not put my finger on.  I like it over a solid ice all the best.  

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    Nothing wrong with good ole #7 . Have you watched any of the shows on YT like this?

  • Member since 2023 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    When I do drink I just drink I have never collected anything or took the time to learn about it honestly.

  • Rental Property Investor · Somewhere over the Rainbow · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    I actually don't drink myself - probably haven't in the last 7-8 years

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @David T Wheeler:

    When I do drink I just drink I have never collected anything or took the time to learn about it honestly.


    The more you get into it, the more you learn and the better quality stuff you get. And it tastes better. And the more fun you have.....

  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes
    3y

    Been a while since I posted in this thread.  Figured be a good time to update on the Hunting. With real estate and real more like inventory real estate slow, my budget for bourbon has dropped.  But I did score a few off my wants list.

    Recently I have acquired Weller Barrel Proof, Elijah Craig Toasted, Booked "Pinkies Batch", St Augustine Distillery's Florida Bourbon Cask Strength Barrack 2149 "The Atlas"  only sold in Distillery.  and 2 more bottles of Blanton's 

    I'm still hunting for Birthday Bourbon, and Weller CYPB & 12 yo.  

    Next question, Is anyone here planning on going to the Kentucky Bourbon Festival in Bardstown Ky this September.  Vip tickets are sold out but General weekend tickets still available.  Would love to get a group together for a drinking meet up at NEAT in Louisville.  THOUGHTS???

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
  • Lender · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 340 posts · 115 votes
    3y
    How's the palm coast market holding up.   We have some new builds financed there taking forever to sell now...  I'll have to try the Atlas (I'm also in FL). My wife just found Blantons at a store in Murfreesboro, TN when traveling so I checked a bag on the way home!   Quote from @Joseph Beilke:

    ... St Augustine Distillery's Florida Bourbon Cask Strength Barrack 2149 "The Atlas"  only sold in Distillery. 

  • Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    I'm a scotch guy and my wife loves the bourbon. My favorite scotch - Laphroig 10 yr. The older ones are smoother, but I ain't into smooth, I like the smoky peat taste...my wife says I 'smell like dirt'. 2nd place is The McCallan.

    I do occasionally go with bourbon though and we both like Bulliet. Another good whiskey is John Rich's Redneck Riviera. The new Yellowstone is a really good bourbon as well.

    So I heard a few years ago (from a Bevmo manager) that Bourbon County, Ky was suing anyone who called their whiskey a Bourbon and it wasn't distilled in the County. I never heard where that went...anyone know? Because the old law was that in order to be called a 'Bourbon', it had to be distilled in Bourbon County, Ky....

    Laphroaig 10 yr. That's my staple. My 84 year old mom calls it "a campfire in a glass." 
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Eric Gerakos:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    I'm a scotch guy and my wife loves the bourbon. My favorite scotch - Laphroig 10 yr. The older ones are smoother, but I ain't into smooth, I like the smoky peat taste...my wife says I 'smell like dirt'. 2nd place is The McCallan.

    I do occasionally go with bourbon though and we both like Bulliet. Another good whiskey is John Rich's Redneck Riviera. The new Yellowstone is a really good bourbon as well.

    So I heard a few years ago (from a Bevmo manager) that Bourbon County, Ky was suing anyone who called their whiskey a Bourbon and it wasn't distilled in the County. I never heard where that went...anyone know? Because the old law was that in order to be called a 'Bourbon', it had to be distilled in Bourbon County, Ky....

    Laphroaig 10 yr. That's my staple. My 84 year old mom calls it "a campfire in a glass." 
    That's pretty damn accurate! Lagavullen ain't too shabby either, and you can usually get it at Costco for about $75 a bottle... pretty similar in taste I think.
  • Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Eric Gerakos:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    I'm a scotch guy and my wife loves the bourbon. My favorite scotch - Laphroig 10 yr. The older ones are smoother, but I ain't into smooth, I like the smoky peat taste...my wife says I 'smell like dirt'. 2nd place is The McCallan.

    I do occasionally go with bourbon though and we both like Bulliet. Another good whiskey is John Rich's Redneck Riviera. The new Yellowstone is a really good bourbon as well.

    So I heard a few years ago (from a Bevmo manager) that Bourbon County, Ky was suing anyone who called their whiskey a Bourbon and it wasn't distilled in the County. I never heard where that went...anyone know? Because the old law was that in order to be called a 'Bourbon', it had to be distilled in Bourbon County, Ky....

    Laphroaig 10 yr. That's my staple. My 84 year old mom calls it "a campfire in a glass." 
    That's pretty damn accurate! Lagavullen ain't too shabby either, and you can usually get it at Costco for about $75 a bottle... pretty similar in taste I think.
    I like the Lagavulin 16 as well. You have good taste.......
  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Dustin Lauer:
    How's the palm coast market holding up.   We have some new builds financed there taking forever to sell now...  I'll have to try the Atlas (I'm also in FL). My wife just found Blantons at a store in Murfreesboro, TN when traveling so I checked a bag on the way home!   Quote from @Joseph Beilke:

    ... St Augustine Distillery's Florida Bourbon Cask Strength Barrack 2149 "The Atlas"  only sold in Distillery. 


    The Palm Coast market is down and the inventory is climbing. I have sold a few to investors, going to meet with a builder rep this afternoon to lock in some pricing that is more investor friendly. Who's selling your builds in Palm Coast, who the builder? I have newbie investor looking for a new build SFH. DM who the builders is and who listing it. Might be able to help.

    With all the Scotch talk and Lagavulin has been brought up a few times, I just might have to add it to my wall. 

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Joseph Beilke:
    If you like that smoky taste......you will be starting down a slippery slope...because it ain't cheap, my friend!
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    @Joseph Beilke I don't want to drag this thread off topic...but it's in the same spirit (pun intended:-)

    Have any if you guys gotten into the smoky Tequilas? I just started down that twisted path....Most of the smoky ones are Mezcal. A friend introduced me to one called El Silencio last week. OMG, one of the best sprits I've ever had. No lime and salt, just sip it neat. They sell it in little 3 oz bottles, so try it first, but it has a great taste and a very pleasant unique buzz. And very little after effects.....

    You can thank me later...... 🤣

  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    @Joseph Beilke I don't want to drag this thread off topic...but it's in the same spirit (pun intended:-)

    Have any if you guys gotten into the smoky Tequilas? I just started down that twisted path....Most of the smoky ones are Mezcal. A friend introduced me to one called El Silencio last week. OMG, one of the best sprits I've ever had. No lime and salt, just sip it neat. They sell it in little 3 oz bottles, so try it first, but it has a great taste and a very pleasant unique buzz. And very little after effects.....

    You can thank me later...... 🤣


     My wife @Sarah Beilke does not care for Bourbon, but some how she has started to learn about Mezcals and they are now a staple of our bar.  She recently made the best Margarita with Los Rijos Mezacal.  Rocks with Salt and some spices on the Rim, SO GOOD!!

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes
    3y

    FYI!!!!!

    Today June 14th is....NATIONAL BOURBON DAY!!!!!  

    Enjoy some Brownwater friends.

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
  • James WilcoxBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Bowling Green KY ~ Lexington, KY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Joseph Beilke:

    Been a while since I posted in this thread.  Figured be a good time to update on the Hunting. With real estate and real more like inventory real estate slow, my budget for bourbon has dropped.  But I did score a few off my wants list.

    Recently I have acquired Weller Barrel Proof, Elijah Craig Toasted, Booked "Pinkies Batch", St Augustine Distillery's Florida Bourbon Cask Strength Barrack 2149 "The Atlas"  only sold in Distillery.  and 2 more bottles of Blanton's 

    I'm still hunting for Birthday Bourbon, and Weller CYPB & 12 yo.  

    Next question, Is anyone here planning on going to the Kentucky Bourbon Festival in Bardstown Ky this September.  Vip tickets are sold out but General weekend tickets still available.  Would love to get a group together for a drinking meet up at NEAT in Louisville.  THOUGHTS???


    Why not just meet in Bardstown if you are already at the festival? Is it because of the higher population in L-ville and where you would be flying out of? Also could add Town Branch to your wish list if it meets what you are looking for.

    REI James w/ eXp Realty54 Reviews
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Joseph Beilke:

    FYI!!!!!

    Today June 14th is....NATIONAL BOURBON DAY!!!!!  

    Enjoy some Brownwater friends.


     Too early yet. Later for sure. Didn't need a reminder, but thanks!

  • Joseph BeilkeBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Palm Coast, FL · Member since 2018 · 363 posts · 243 votes
    3y

    @James Wilcox

    My friends and I have an Airbnb in L-Ville so we will be exploring there more.  When did more around Bardstown last year.

    I never had any type of surgery in my life.  Today at 1130 I'm having a bicep rupture repaired.  They said I'm going to be put under and have a nerve block.  Honestly, I want this done so I can get back to gym, but I do not like the idea of going under.  UGH.   I had some Blanton's last night to chill

    .

    What juice do you think I should come home too? 

    Enkore Real Estate & Property Management4.836 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.