Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
I think I am going to get my CCW. I have several guns and dozens of hours at the range. Given the fact that I am often meeting with people that I met online and showing a house I think I would feel more comfortable. I carry a Benchmade a/o knife that I honestly use as a tool but could be a "worst case" scenario life saver. Do any of you guys carry? What is your gun of choice? I know for some this is a touchy subject but I just figured I'd throw it out there. Salesmen at my local gun store said they have had a hard time keeping guns in stock after all of the Ferguson violence.
Real Estate Investor · Grand Junction, IA · Member since 2014 · 81 posts · 51 votes
12y
I'm a single mother with two kids. I always have my .380 kel-tec that I can conceal on my small body frame. If we are out, I have it.
I also have a smith and Wesson mp 40. It's too big to conceal on my body. I have it ether in my handbag or in my car locked when we are out.
I work in corrections and sometimes, though rarely run into some people who aren't my #1 fans.
I may never need it, but I'd rather have it then not. I'm not going down without a fight. :)
Longview, TX · Member since 2012 · 368 posts · 131 votes
12y
I don't have a permit nor carry but will move that way for the same reasons you state. I do not have any handgun experience but have buddies willing to share guns at the range so I can get comfortable with a make and caliber before purchase. Too many wackos out there nowadays. Let us know what you wind up with for your CCW.
I think I am going to get my CCW. I have several guns and dozens of hours at the range. Given the fact that I am often meeting with people that I met online and showing a house I think I would feel more comfortable. I carry a Benchmade a/o knife that I honestly use as a tool but could be a "worst case" scenario life saver. Do any of you guys carry? What is your gun of choice? I know for some this is a touchy subject but I just figured I'd throw it out there. Salesmen at my local gun store said they have had a hard time keeping guns in stock after all of the Ferguson violence.
I'm jealous of your second amendment rights, here in the not-so great state of NJ, that particular right to carry doesn't exist, youee the Constitution stops at our border with PA.
Better safe than sorry, I'd cc if I could. I have a Star 45 semi auto.
Military · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2014 · 53 posts · 63 votes
12y
I'll chime in. I grew up in NJ, now live in FL. As a kid, it seemed so IRRESPONSIBLE & PARANOID to even think about carrying a gun.
Now that I'm a father of 2, sole income provider for my family, and live in a state which honors my rights, it almost seems irresponsible not to.
I doubt you'll get many replies, but I'll pose this one question: if you are investing in real estate to secure your own financial future and not rely on others for support, why would you leave your security in anybody else's hands than your own.
FWIW, I'm military, have spent many of my own $$$ on training, and don't believe anybody should make the choice lightly.
Set your budget at $500, and there are many fine and reliable options for a CCW sidearm. Don't forget the training!
SFR Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2011 · 604 posts · 243 votes
12y
The question I ask people that want to carry is simple, besides knowing how to shoot a gun, are you totally willing and able to pull the trigger.
Many people learn the mechanics of how to shoot, but aren't totally sure they could/would if put in that situation.
If you are going to carry, many people like 9mm, however I don't really like the lack of knock down power (as a friend who was a chief of police for 20 years said, it will kill someone, but it doesn't tell you body your dying very fast).
A 40 caliber, I have a chiefs special, is a fairly small gun that has some knock down power, it is also VERY loud ,,,,I don't care if I hit them or they run away, as long as they leave!
Wholesaler · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 401 votes
12y
Yes there were many times I carried. Not all the time but when it was called for. I carried one in my boot and it was a life saver a couple of times. No not in a war zone but in upscale suburbs. California required a concealed weapon permit but my belief was I would rather be a concealed weapons violator then a dead non-violator. In my market area in 1989 we had 9 agents murdered, something that was hard for agents to believe because we worked such good areas. The number of other crimes was not to be believed until the board started listing them in the newsletter to convince agents to be careful.
Real Estate Investor · El Dorado, AR · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 1 vote
12y
Speaking as a gunsmith and rifle builder I will tell you what I always recommend.
Yes, get your carry permit. Id suggest a Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm or a Glock 19. You cant go wrong with either and both have stellar reputations for reliability.
On to another subject that Timothy brought up, training. Range time does not equal training. Go to someone reputable such as Tactical Response or Front Sight Firearms Training Institute. There are many good training companies. You invest in your real estate education, you must also invest in your firearm training if you choose to carry.
Federal HST hollow points or Cor-bon would make good defensive loads for carry.
Good luck!
p.s.
A manual safety kills.. don't get a carry gun with one.
Northern, VA · Member since 2013 · 141 posts · 29 votes
12y
I have my CWP in Virginia and Utah and I plan on carrying it when I start showing houses in Northern VA (DC Metro). I haven't carried a whole lot the last few years but with meeting strangers in empty houses, you can't be too safe. Hopefully I'll never have to even think about using it, but I am a father, husband, and bread winner so I need to make sure I come home.
I would recommend people get the proper training so you can operate the firearm confidently and safely. Last thing you want is a thug to wind up with your gun and killing you with it.
Rental Property Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2013 · 111 posts · 28 votes
12y
Growing up in CA, there are certain parts that I wouldn't venture because of the violence that occured. After moving to the south (GA) I have had my CCW for the past few years. I'm also military and have been through some good courses through the military. I carry anytime I'm not on base because you never know when something can happen. I returned home from my first deployment in Afghanistan and drove through the gate to the guards armed up and suited up in their kit (out of the ordinary typically) so I asked him why. He responded that there was a shooting at a gas station not more than a mile down the road. I was safer in Afghanistan than I was in my own town. Since I got my permit, my carry of choice was a Glock 26 with a mag grip extension (two fingers is just not comfortable on the grip). Last year I upgraded to an M&P 9 Pro Series since I'd like to get into 3gun eventually. Very comfortable and for such a large frame it's quite easy to conceal and control.
TL;DR I carry an M&P9 when not in uniform, all for CCW with training
Charleston, SC · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 3 votes
12y
CWP holder here. I currently carry the Double Action Only variant of the USP 45 compact.
I recommend searching for a gun range nearby that offers gun rentals. Getting out and firing a bunch of different handguns allows you to see what size, style, and caliber you like best.
The question I ask people that want to carry is simple, besides knowing how to shoot a gun, are you totally willing and able to pull the trigger.
Many people learn the mechanics of how to shoot, but aren't totally sure they could/would if put in that situation.
If you are going to carry, many people like 9mm, however I don't really like the lack of knock down power (as a friend who was a chief of police for 20 years said, it will kill someone, but it doesn't tell you body your dying very fast).
A 40 caliber, I have a chiefs special, is a fairly small gun that has some knock down power, it is also VERY loud ,,,,I don't care if I hit them or they run away, as long as they leave!
The keys to CCW Permits, is if you are forced, will you pull the trigger? If you have an inclination as to hesitating, you may as well give the gun to your assailant. It would be better to just hand over your wallet and walk away, then giving a criminal another tool to commit more crimes.
I've a CWP in the state of Pa for going on 2yrs now. I've been to the range a few times skeet shooting and love it. I haven't purchased a handgun just yet (been thinking of getting a 9MM and maybe a 20 gauge, which is lighter than a 12 but still packs that hulk punch) though have been reading up on safety, I'm waiting to get in a few safety classes also(scheduling pending). My primary reason was for sport but things are wild even in the higher ARV neighborhoods; anything can happen. Especially being a female investor visiting vacant houses all over duration. I'd much rather be safe than sorry.
Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
12y
I would absolutely get one if my state allowed me to. Unfortunately in my state you have to be an important person (Politician) or prove to them with documentation that someone attempted to murder you at least 3 times. I probably wouldn't carry it much but it would be nice to have when I'm going to look at vacant properties in not so friendly areas. Just don't be one of those guys who is looking for a reason to be able to use it.
San Antonio, TX · Member since 2013 · 23 posts · 12 votes
12y
My wife and I both are on site at our projects - sometimes alone - and I am glad to know that she carries a .380 with her all the time - CHP. Full disclosure - I'm a former San Antonio Police Officer and I can say without a doubt that regardless of the area you are in, bad people do bad things all the time and unfortunately, there is no shortage of bad people these days.
I handled waaaay to many calls where innocent people were assaulted, raped or killed just because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time when evil came passing through. It happens at a much higher frequency than you might think. If you are going to carry - then get something that is comfortable in your hand, and that you can control. .380 is fine and so is 9mm but I personally like .45 or .40 cal. In the very unfortunate event that you have to shoot at anyone two or three times with any of these rounds, I promise they will leave you alone and go away FAST - whether you hit them or not. And the police will probably be there shortly - with all the neighborhood calling 911 for shots fired.
It is very sad that any of us have to be placed in that kind of situation in the first place.
The 9-1-1 call is amazing, it should really get you thinking
This occurred a couple of miles from my house in GA. You don't need a concealed carry to have guns in your home, but it drives home the point of having protection and knowing how to use it, even if it's inside your own house. I'm a police officer and firm believer of law abiding citizens being able to carry guns (as most police officers believe). I've been to multiple homicides where the bad guy was stopped because someone had a weapon and wasn't afraid to use it to protect themselves or someone else. As an investor, I carry a lot when I'm working on my homes day or night. Some of my homes haven't been in the best areas. Hope this helps someone. Good comments.
Real Estate Investor · Fort Pierce, FL · Member since 2014 · 132 posts · 57 votes
12y
A ccw is great idea, it can prevent you from getting a felony. Glocks are really nice, but the are a little heavy for conceal carry, just remember the best handgun is the one you will be actually carrying, if it is too heavy that you leave it at home, then it won't help when you need it. One idea would be to get a Ruger, or kel-tec, or Smith and Wesson conceal carry gun. Then buy a larger gun for a vehicle gun like a fn five seven or a 40 cal glock. The fn five seven is the top choice as it holds more rounds (up to 30), is extremely accurate. And very powerful
Involved In Real Estate · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2013 · 90 posts · 9 votes
12y
Up until just recently open carry was still legal in Kansas City, the city counsel just repealed it though. So a CCW is now my only option. If you work in the city, especially if you're a lady you should have a weapon.
Real Estate Investor · Grand Junction, IA · Member since 2014 · 81 posts · 51 votes
12y
I'm a single mother with two kids. I always have my .380 kel-tec that I can conceal on my small body frame. If we are out, I have it.
I also have a smith and Wesson mp 40. It's too big to conceal on my body. I have it ether in my handbag or in my car locked when we are out.
I work in corrections and sometimes, though rarely run into some people who aren't my #1 fans.
I may never need it, but I'd rather have it then not. I'm not going down without a fight. :)
Real Estate Consultant · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2013 · 388 posts · 200 votes
12y
There is a bill within the state of Missouri to change the ability for cities to over-ride the open carry option. Kansas City currently does not permit open carry, but CCW is permitted. The law was passed to override these cities ban. However, Gov. Nixon vetoed the bill. There is a veto override session in place for Sept 10th that would repeal the city ban on Oct 10th I believe. Until then, CCW is the way to go. If the veto is overridden, it will still stand that an open carry individual still must possess a CCW permit. Watch the news and let your opinion be know to your state government.
Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
12y
I have my concealed carry from Utah, which is accepted in several other states. That being said--it's not accepted in Maryland (of course), and you have to give a good reason to be able to conceal carry in Maryland. One example would be carrying around a lot of cash--but what is a lot of cash in their eyes?