Landlord Kills Two Scumbags During Apartment Break-in

Landlord Kills Two Scumbags During Apartment Break-in

Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Here's an interview with a landlord who was attacked by two men while cleaning an apartment. Very interesting article and a good reminder that we MUST be prepared to defend ourselves. Here's the link:

http://www.wlky.com/video/16509601/index.html

Here's how the media portrayed the incident. Notice the family members give the usual refrain that the criminal was such a nice boy and wouldn't do anything like this!!! GIVE ME A BREAK!

http://www.wlky.com/video/16497481/index.html

Mike

0Reply
85 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Gardner, KS · Member since 2009 · 37 posts · 6 votes
17y

OK, I agree that you must arm yourself and be prepared to DEFEND yourself at all times.

I will make a suggestion to all that are pro gun, as I am.

Please, please use careful judgment in choosing your words. The reason I state that is that if you were to ever have to defend yourself in such a manner that the perpetrator was indeed terminated, some of your words could be used against you to build a case of premeditated murder.

Please, please do not use any words such as "If i'm ever in that situation I will kill them." or "They better not cross me because they will be DTR."

Or as no name has already posted "The criminal had a choice to avoid the encounter. My only choice is to be a victim and put my fate in their hands or drop them and make sure they are DRT. I made my choice long before they ever made their fatal mistake in their choice of victim."

What is essentially being said here is that you have thought about this scenario before and if it ever happened that you would kill. From my understanding, that is what premeditated murder is, you think about it before and then you kill. (Simplified of course)

If these are your opinions ,than that is fine, just please do not voice them or put them in print because these could possibly, in the end, cause harm to your case.

Disclaimer I am not a Lawyer so do not take these comments as legal advice. If what I have said causes the wheels to turn in your head than be all means please contact a lawyer and ask him the questions.

I would rather be safe than sorry though. As I am sure that in sometime in my life or during my career of REI I will inevitably be put in a situation similar to this.

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    17y

    Also a reminder to take care when carrying large amounts of cash to be sure that stays hidden.

    I did notice the relative who was interviewed didn't actually deny the kid did it.

    Scary situation, though.

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    It's hard to deny when the punk is laying in the street full of holes and with a handgun laying beside him!

    Mike

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    I hope the guy's aftermath isn't too bad - psychological and legal. It's yet one more reason to LLC and insure up your properties.

  • Real Estate Investor · Wyoming, MI · Member since 2008 · 195 posts · 10 votes
    17y

    Welp,
    hopefully word spreads and more people defend themselves with WEAPONS..

    Kills Robbers DEAD.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    17y

    Final score . . . good guys 2, bad guys 0.

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Jason Trepins:
    Welp,
    hopefully word spreads and more people defend themselves with WEAPONS..

    Kills Robbers DEAD.



    That's a good advertisement.

    Colt .45 Kills Robbers DEAD :mrgreen:

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    17y

    If you listen to the entire interview, it was a .40 caliber. He also mentions 11 rounds, so its an automatic. So, I'd guess it was an Smith or Beretta or some such.

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    That's exactly what I carry - a Beretta 9000S, which has an 11 shot magazine with .40 cal S & W law enforcement rounds (frangible).

    Mike

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    Jon,

    Where did the "edit" link go? I spelled Beretta wrong in my previous post and was going to correct it, but the edit function is MIA.

    Mike

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by MikeOH:
    That's exactly what I carry - a Baretta 9000S, which has an 11 shot magazine with .40 cal S & W law enforcement rounds (frangible).

    Mike

    Lol - great minds think alike. I just ordered the Beretta PX4 .40 subcompact. Got tired of lugging the full size 92FS and/or 1911 around.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by MikeOH:
    Jon,

    Where did the "edit" link go? I spelled Beretta wrong in my previous post and was going to correct it, but the edit function is MIA.

    Mike

    Mike - The edit link now exists only for 10 minutes after a post is made. We've dealt with too many people destroying threads because they don't like the feedback from others who may critique them. We've had people destroy entire discussions by deleting all of their posts. I fixed your spelling.
  • IL · Member since 2008 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    17y

    I find it ironic that people who consider themselves to be capitalists that subscribe to the Austrian school of economics view this landlord's actions as justified.

    The Austrian principles state very clearly that robbery doesn't equal murder. I do realize that one of the robbers had a gun. However, if the landlord just let them take the **** and go on their way, all of this could have been avoided. I seriously doubt that there was anything that valuable inside this apartment.

    The vast majority of the time, the robber is not going to utilize the weapon. It's simply a scare tactic designed to prevent the victim from resisting.

  • Real Estate Investor · Lakeview, NY · Member since 2009 · 309 posts · 49 votes
    17y

    But what if???? What if that were your Wife or son in there? Would YOU take that chance. MANY times they will kill them to get rid of any witnesses. You don't get a second chance if your DEAD. If they had the balls to hold him up at gun point, they certainly had the balls to use the weapon.

    Think hard about your post. I disagree completely!

    It also send a message. This type of behavior is unacceptable. Do it, and you could pay for it with your life!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    17y

    There was no murder involved. And, its armed robbery, not simple robbery. Self defense vs. armed robbery, not murder vs. simple robbery.

  • Real Estate Investor · North Central Arkansas · Member since 2009 · 509 posts · 178 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Aegis Forex:
    I find it ironic that people who consider themselves to be capitalists that subscribe to the Austrian school of economics view this landlord's actions as justified.

    The Austrian principles state very clearly that robbery doesn't equal murder. I do realize that one of the robbers had a gun. However, if the landlord just let them take the **** and go on their way, all of this could have been avoided. I seriously doubt that there was anything that valuable inside this apartment.

    The vast majority of the time, the robber is not going to utilize the weapon. It's simply a scare tactic designed to prevent the victim from resisting.

    Aegis,

    That is your OPINION. The fact is that the good guys are alive and well and the bad guys ARE NOT. It makes me sick to see people bring up gun control when things like this happen. If you listen to the whole interview you hear that the weopon that the robbers/thugs had was STOLEN from the police dept. The reality is criminals will ALWAYS find a weopon, if you disarm good people bad things will follow.

    Thank GOD that we will never know what these guys we're going to do. If more people in this country took action against THUGS like that this country would be a safer place. Let Austria do what they want, but here in America we have what is called the 2nd Amendment which I am greatful for.

    So the bottom line is your certainly free to voice your opinion, just don't count on me to follow. I choose to be armed and ready to do the same thing he did to protect my family.

    Jeff

  • Real Estate Investor · Wyoming, MI · Member since 2008 · 195 posts · 10 votes
    17y

    "The vast majority of the time, the robber is not going to utilize the weapon"

    lol, who wants to volunteer their lives and their family's lives to the chance of living or dieing. who knows if the robbers are on drugs or how they were acting.

    Every innocent person dead to a criminal is 1 too many.

  • Real Estate Investor · North Central Arkansas · Member since 2009 · 509 posts · 178 votes
    17y

    Well said Jason.

  • Real Estate Investor · OH · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    This was not a murder - it was a double suicide!! These low-life scumbags made a conscious decision to steal that gun and another conscious decision to commit a violent armed robbery. At that point, they forfeited their right to life and they got EXACTLY what they deserved. This world is a far better place without them. Good riddance to bad rubbish!

    The real shame in this country is that more people don't exercise their 2nd amendment right to defend themselves by carrying a gun. When states enact concealed carry and other pro-gun laws, violent crime decreases, because the scumbags don't know who is armed and who is not. YOU are responsible for your own safety. The job of the police is to investigate crimes and arrest suspects. Their job is not to defend or protect the public and they in fact do not do that.

    The scumbags in this case could have easily killed this landlord. They might have done it as a gang initiation; to get rid of the witness; because they were high on drugs; or for a thrill. If caught, they would have done a few years in prison, which is where they were headed anyway. No big deal for them, yet the landlord and his wife would have been dead and his family would have suffered.

    In my opinion, all law abiding citizens should carry a gun. That is especially true of landlords, as landlords make a lot of enemies over the years (yes, even if you have nicer SFH rentals).

    Mike

  • Real Estate Investor · North Central Arkansas · Member since 2009 · 509 posts · 178 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by MikeOH:
    This was not a murder - it was a double suicide!! These low-life scumbags made a conscious decision to steal that gun and another conscious decision to commit a violent armed robbery. At that point, they forfeited their right to life and they got EXACTLY what they deserved. This world is a far better place without them. Good riddance to bad rubbish!

    The real shame in this country is that more people don't exercise their 2nd amendment right to defend themselves by carrying a gun. When states enact concealed carry and other pro-gun laws, violent crime decreases, because the scumbags don't know who is armed and who is not. YOU are responsible for your own safety. The job of the police is to investigate crimes and arrest suspects. Their job is not to defend or protect the public and they in fact do not do that.

    The scumbags in this case could have easily killed this landlord. They might have done it as a gang initiation; to get rid of the witness; because they were high on drugs; or for a thrill. If caught, they would have done a few years in prison, which is where they were headed anyway. No big deal for them, yet the landlord and his wife would have been dead and his family would have suffered.

    In my opinion, all law abiding citizens should carry a gun. That is especially true of landlords, as landlords make a lot of enemies over the years (yes, even if you have nicer SFH rentals).

    Mike


    That is spot on Mike. I carry and I encourage others to do the same.

    Jeff

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    17y

    Murder WTF how can you call this murder give me a break :roll:

  • Real Estate Investor · Escondido, CA · Member since 2008 · 68 posts · 5 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Mr_Investor:
    Originally posted by Jason Trepins:
    Welp,
    hopefully word spreads and more people defend themselves with WEAPONS..

    Kills Robbers DEAD.



    That's a good advertisement.

    Colt .45 Kills Robbers DEAD :mrgreen:


    Now do you mean Colt .45 as in the Single Action for .45 Long Colt, or the trusty 1911 in .45 ACP?

    I miss my 1911. But something came up and I needed the money. Such is life I guess.

    Soon as I close my first deal I am going to pick up another one. I like the Beretta 92's, but I want a real .45 not a .45 set to stun. :lol:

    I honestly can't believe someone would actually claim that to be murder. Two people are attempting to rob you ,and they are armed, I would say this land lord was more then justified.

  • Real Estate Investor · North Carolina · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 483 votes
    17y

    "Double suicide" HA HA HA HA HA!!!

    One thing's for certain: that particular neighborhood will be much safer for a while.

    And I'll bet EVERY LAW-ABIDING CITIZEN in that neighborhood is DAMN GLAD for what that landlord did!!!

  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2008 · 801 posts · 61 votes
    17y

    If all they wanted was the "stuff" they would've entered when no one was there.

    I have a very simple philosophy on this type of thing...

    If someone wants to steal my "stuff" they can do it when I am not around; that is why I have insurance.

    However, if they choose to enter the house when I am there, then they have made a choice that will result in either me or them being, DRT.

    I guarantee I will do everything in my power to make sure I am the one left standing to explain what happened to the police and contact my insurance company for new carpet.

    I carry and while I have never had to shoot anyone, I came very close a few years back. I learned a great deal about myself in those few seconds AND in the time of reflection since then. I know for example, I could kill anyone threatening me or any innocent person around me and not give it any second thoughts.

    The criminal had a choice to avoid the encounter. My only choice is to be a victim and put my fate in their hands or drop them and make sure they are DRT. I made my choice long before they ever made their fatal mistake in their choice of victim.

    As for whether my approach is legally sound...

    I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.

    (DRT = Dead Right There)

  • Real Estate Investor · Lakeview, NY · Member since 2009 · 309 posts · 49 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by NC Mark:
    "Double suicide" HA HA HA HA HA!!!

    One thing's for certain: that particular neighborhood will be much safer for a while.

    And I'll bet EVERY LAW-ABIDING CITIZEN in that neighborhood is DAMN GLAD for what that landlord did!!!


  • Real Estate Investor · Lakeview, NY · Member since 2009 · 309 posts · 49 votes
    17y

    Crap!!! I still don't know how to do that...anyhow...

    I agree. Scumbags will think twice about trying that again. After all, who would expect a 70 yr old man to be carrying. He certainly didn't look threatening. "Ya just never know who's gonna be packin".

    These scum of the earth got EXACTLY what they deserved..PERIOD. End of discussion.

    I also like Taz's...judged by twelve than carried by six...very good.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.