Sarah Palin Resigns as Governor

Sarah Palin Resigns as Governor

Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes

No not because she had an affair, but because she's focusing full time on a Presidential run in 2012. She's burned her ships. There's something you need to understand about a woman like Sarah. When a woman like her gets attacked, she doesn't cower in hurt. She gets motivated. You can't win giving a person like this negative energy. They only convert it to motivation and the more you attack, the more you support them.

Happy Fourth of July!

Tim

1
Topic locked
216 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · North Central Arkansas · Member since 2009 · 509 posts · 178 votes
17y

I couldn't disagree more and I can't wait for the chance to see it. Obama is as big of a joke as this country has ever seen.

From bowing down to the saudi king, to declaring that we are "Not a Christian nation", to disarming our military, to not not doing ANYTHING about north korea etc.

This guy is more of a national security risk then Bin Laden because he is killing our country from the inside.

Jeff

3
Topic locked
See this reply in the discussion

269 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Dick Green:
    My gauge of whether or not a person is intelligent may not be the same as yours.


    Agreed. I, for one, do not find it intelligent to grasp zealously to failed Californian/Soviet Union philosophies of government and try to apply them to the nation as a whole while the system is collapsing about your feet. Frankly, I find that pretty f---ing stupid. But that's just me.
    0
    Topic locked
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by jawsette:

    I showed you one example on how intellengent she really is, and you refuse to accept it, this tells me that no other examples which could be given are needed as they will not be recogonized either.


    Jawsette -

    So, when you heard Palin get the question, "What magazines do you read," and she answered, "All of them," you interpreted that to mean that she analyzed the question, and determined that the question was a trap?

    Okay, you're right...perhaps I wasn't as receptive to your comment as I should have been. That's because I don't totally understand why you think that.

    Let's have a constructive debate about this one, as I didn't mean to wave off your comment and I'd like to get a better understanding of your rationale here...

    Here's why I believe this is one of the more ridiculous things I've read in a long time:

    - First, why would anyone be trying to trap her with that question? It was a completely innocuous question, and I have to assume that Couric expected a quick little run-down of a few magazines and would then move on. What follow-up questions would you expect from Couric that would "trap" Palin on her response?

    - How exactly could Palin be trapped on this question? You mentioned that people could look up whether she had a subscription or not. But, that wouldn't prove anything. I guarantee you that most high-level politicians read A LOT of magazines, and probably very few of them have personal subscriptions to the magazines they read. So, what exactly is the "trap" being set?

    - Another reasonable assumption people could make from Palin's response is that she couldn't think of any magazines that she reads. That is a much simpler explanation (and makes much more sense) than the fact that she was avoiding some "trap." I'm not sure if you're familiar with Occam's Razor or not, but it states that given two explanations, the simpler one tends to be correct more often than not.

    - If Palin was so good at avoiding traps, why were so many of her other answers completely ridiculous? If she were that intelligent, would she really have answered the foreign relations question with, "I can practically see Russia from my house???"

    Okay, you're turn. I've just presented my rationale for why I think it's completely ridiculous to think her response was predicated on avoiding a "trap."

    Now what is your rationale for believing it was? (and feel free to answer those questions in bold above while you're at it).

    0
    Topic locked
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y

    How about the fact that Palin doesn't deserve to be our next President because she clearly doesn't take her job as public servant very seriously.

    She left her elected position as governor for absolutely no good reason. This cost the taxpayers money, this cost the people of Alaska continuity in representation, and the only reasonable explanations for the decision are purely selfish on her part.

    It's one thing if she left her post to take a more important position in the government. But, unless she needs the next three years to study up, there's no reason to leave her post anytime soon for a 2012 Presidential run.

    To me, it seems that she is putting her personal goals ahead of her constituency, and that to me should disqualify anyone for President.

    Doesn't that bother anyone else?

    0
    Topic locked
  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    How about the fact that Palin doesn't deserve to be our next President because she clearly doesn't take her job as public servant very seriously.


    How often was Obama absent for votes during his presidential run that he promised Illinois not to do?
    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Mableton, GA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    How about the fact that Palin doesn't deserve to be our next President because she clearly doesn't take her job as public servant very seriously.


    How often was Obama absent for votes during his presidential run that he promised Illinois not to do?


    Tim, you like that part when you answer with the question instead of reasoning. So here is the same useless rebuttal "How neglecting was Sarah Palin of her duties as a governor during her campaign with J. MacCain? After all, you cannot be an effective governor while running in a presidential campaign. Same goes to G.W. Bush, same goes to B. Clinton, etc, etc. That is a poor rebuttal. J's claim was not about campaigning while in office. He pointed out he resignation for no apparent reason as a responsibility issue. Running a campaign while in office is nothing new. Resigning in the middle of your first term with no apparent reason is.
    0
    Topic locked
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Tim Wieneke:
    Originally posted by J Scott:
    How about the fact that Palin doesn't deserve to be our next President because she clearly doesn't take her job as public servant very seriously.


    How often was Obama absent for votes during his presidential run that he promised Illinois not to do?


    Tim -

    You're not getting this whole logical debate thing, are you? As usual, I make a criticism about someone other than Obama, and your response is to completely ignore my statement and say something negative about Obama.

    Just curious...in your mind, what that a defense against my statement?

    Or is there something in your head that says, "Damn, he's right...since I can't argue with his point, I better quickly change the subject...I think I'll bash Obama..."

    In the future, keep in mind that there's nothing wrong with just saying, "I agree with you."
    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · ten mile, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 374 votes
    17y

    First of all you are attempting to change the question here, as does happen soo often when caught.

    The question was not what magazines do you read, it was what magazines do you subscribe to. Reading a magazine and having a subscription to a magazine are two differnt things. Thus her answer was simple, to the point, and truthful. And not as you originally gave the opinion of. Second, the question phrased thus was not innocoulus at all but any answer could be checked, and if wrong she could be called a liar and thus the trap was set and avoided by the answer. She is just to intellegent to be trapped thusly by anyone, especially the media that is so afraid of her.

    Go ahead and twist some more questions. As far as foreign relations go, if you live close to any border you will have more understanding of how to deal with those from the other country as you are more apt to understand them from those who cross the border, rightly or wrongly. And in viewing and understanding what is happening on the other side of the border is also more likely.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · ten mile, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 374 votes
    17y

    As far as leaving her post for no good reason goes, I do not believe that she has told anyone of her intentions and therefore you could not know what her reasons are to say wheather or not they are for good reasons or bad reasons.

    Plus with the continengcy plans that are in place in the state constitution, there is an automatic assumption of power and does not cost the state any money. If she had just quit and walked away, I might be inclined to agree with you, but she gave a notice and worked out that notice so that there was an easy transition. Not at all what a quitter would do.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · ten mile, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 374 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by J Scott:

    To me, it seems that she is putting her personal goals ahead of her constituency, and that to me should disqualify anyone for President.

    Doesn't that bother anyone else?

    As Tim mentioned this sounds like what Obama did to the state of IL when he did not show up to perform his duties because he was out campaigning for his personal goal of the presidency. At least Sarah did it in such a way that there would be someone performing the tasks that should be attended to instead of collecting a check from the taxpayers to do nothing.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · ten mile, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 374 votes
    17y

    And by the way, I for one appreciate someone who is willing to step down from their position (no matter what it is, REP, Senator, Govenor) to run for another office, if that is her intention.

    I do not like those who get paid while not doing their job. Some of those you previously listed did just that and some actually vote when they were required to being kept updated by their pages and other helpers as to what was what back home.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Select a State · Member since 2009 · 156 posts · 17 votes
    17y

    Political Science of Bigger Pockets

    Check one:
    [ ]I don't like Palin, I like President Obama (I am a Socialist)

    [ ]I don't like President Obama, I like Palin (I am a Fascist)

    ---------------------------------------------------
    Reality check:

    Palin did a horrible job presenting herself on several occasions while running for VP. She clearly made herself look unpolished and inexperienced at times.

    0
    Topic locked
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by jawsette:

    As Tim mentioned this sounds like what Obama did to the state of IL when he did not show up to perform his duties because he was out campaigning for his personal goal of the presidency. At least Sarah did it in such a way that there would be someone performing the tasks that should be attended to instead of collecting a check from the taxpayers to do nothing.


    So, like Tim, you agree with me, but feel the need to point out that Obama did the same exact thing.

    That's fair.

    0
    Topic locked
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by jawsette:
    First of all you are attempting to change the question here, as does happen soo often when caught.

    The question was not what magazines do you read, it was what magazines do you subscribe to.


    Jawsette -

    Again, really?

    It would seem to me that you're the one twisting the question to support your ridiculous theory.

    Luckily, there's this thing called the Internet that can help us figure which one of us is correct.

    Here's what I found:

    http://www.americablog.com/2008/09/cbs-palin-cant-name-one-single.html

    The question specifically was:

    "What magazines or newspapers did you read regularly before being picked for VP?"

    Where exactly did it say anything about subscriptions?

    If this is the whole basis of your belief that Sarah Palin is a genius in disguise, and now your theory has been debunked, now what!?!?

    Btw, I accept your apology for wrongly accusing me of twisting around the discussion.
    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Westminster, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    I am not able to get the exact truth here, but from what I have been able to find, Gov. Sarah Palin had ZERO ethics complaints against her BEFORE she was the VP candidate. Since then, there has been something like 18 or more ethics complaints against her.

    Did she suddenly become an 'unethical' person because she ran for VP? Even the most looney, jaded Liberal can see that something is wrong here, UNLESS they just want to destroy someone for having a different opinion. There is NOTHING that has been said against Sarah Palin that cannot be said against Barack Obama. Even being a QUITTER. Did Barack Obama finish his Senate Term? He may have had the title of Senator but he QUIT his job as Senator to run for the Presidency. At least Sarah Palin had the HONOR and RESPECT to fully resign her position and not pretend to be a Governor while out on the campaign trail. And, during the campaign, Sarah Palin went back to Alaska to take care of business a heck of a lot more than Obama went to back to DC to take care of business. If you ran a business and Obama showed up for work for you as much as he showed up in the Senate Chamber, you would FIRE him.

    I am not going to change your mind on Obama and you will not change my mind on Palin. Just remember, you point a finger at Palin and I can point a finger at Obama. Obama has raised the National Debt more than $1,000,000,000,000 in just six months. What has it gotten him? A nearly 10% unemployment rate! A pile of old clunker cars! Maybe he can start a "clunker house" program. A house worth $10,000, he will give you a $45,000 credit toward the purchase of a new, energy efficient house! He can call it HOMES: Help Obtain More Energy Savings!

    Get the government OUT of my life, not more involved!

    0
    Topic locked
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Mike M:

    I am not going to change your mind on Obama and you will not change my mind on Palin. Just remember, you point a finger at Palin and I can point a finger at Obama.


    Mike -

    You are doing exactly what Tim and others continually do on this forum. When someone criticizes Sarah Palin (or anyone for that matter), instead of defending Palin, they just say that Obama is just is bad.

    This isn't a defense of Palin.

    In fact, since everyone thinks Obama is horrible, by continually comparing Palin to him, you are just reasserting the fact that Palin is horrible too.

    I'm not sure what you mean by, "I am not going to change your mind on Obama."

    Can you point out anywhere on this thread where anyone has supported Obama?

    For some reason, you are assuming that for people to dislike Palin, they must automatically support Obama. That's ridiculous.

    I don't support Obama at all; I think he's done a poor job as President so far, and he's broken a lot of promises that I was hoping he'd keep. I'm not arguing with any of the assertions you make about him in your post.

    In addition to not supporting Obama, I think Palin isn't qualified to be President, and harmed the system by quitting her job for no good reason.

    So, I guess we can all agree that both Palin and Obama are bad politicians and neither deserve to be President.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Westminster, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y

    My apologies J Scott. You want a DEFENSE of Sarah Palin!

    OK, here it goes. I agree with her on an unborn child is still a life, an American Citizen if they are in the United States. I agree with her on trying to reduce government corruption, when she did when she was on the Oil and Gas Commission. Why did she even run for town mayor? Because she saw how poorly her town was being governed. She saw something wrong and instead of just blogging about it, she got her hands 'dirty' and jumped right in. Out of her realm of knowledge? Maybe. But she has proven to be a quick learner and a willing learner, running the town much more efficiently. She didn't get LUCKY by getting a 90% approval rating as governor, she earned it. Is she some sort of 'slick attorney?' NO. Did she pay for her college education by writing a 3rd grade level autobiography? NO.

    Listening to Sarah Palin speak, you get the feeling of someone who understands you and someone who knows the struggles of life. Listening to Obama, you get the feeling you are listening to Shapiro or Cochran defending OJ Simpson. A slick, lying, conniving attorney.

    Sarah Palin would make a good president because she knows what she doesn't know, and therefore, finds someone that knows what needs to be known. She is willing to put people around her who are SMARTER than she is, in a given area. Obama puts people around him that are dumber than him and that is no easy task. So he finds tax cheats, business cheats and generally scum.

    This country needs to get someone in the Oval Office who has NOT been bought! Sarah Palin is struggling with a $500,000 legal tab. Most folks in Washington would just laugh, make a phone call, do a favor and DONE.

    Give me Palin any day!!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Mableton, GA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 465 votes
    17y

    About the question what magazine Palin read (Not subscribe) this would be a better evidence
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv_TozVnpE4

    0
    Topic locked
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Mike M:
    My apologies J Scott. You want a DEFENSE of Sarah Palin!


    Well, despite the fact that you still felt the need to compare her to Obama four times in that post, it was still the first time I've heard anyone hear try to defend her, as opposed to saying Obama was just as bad. So, you get major credit for that...

    Based on a lot of what you said, I'm convinced that Palin would make (and probably has made) a great local politician. She clearly cares about her community, she cares about doing what she thinks is right, her constituency supports her, etc. She may even have been a great governor of Alaska.

    I give you all that about Sarah Palin!

    But, these aren't the things that necessarily make a great President. There are millions of people out there who agree with you on abortion, corruption in gov't, family values, etc. But that doesn't make them good candidates for President.

    A great President needs to be able to:

    - Understand fiscal policy inside and out;
    - Understand foreign policy in great detail;
    - Understand the intricate details of how the gov't works;
    - Be able to communicate precisely and concisely;
    - Have the respect of other politicians (both in her party and the other parties) who the President will rely on to get good legislation passed and bad legislation overturned;
    - Have strong negotiating skills;
    - Etc...

    Based on listening to interviews with Palin and listening to her in the debates, I have very little confidence in her ability in those areas.

    Can you give me any evidence that Palin is strong in those areas? I just haven't seen any.

    Btw, don't think that I'm trying to bash Palin because she's conservative. I have plenty of conservative views on many things. And, there are plenty of other Conservative politicians who do possess these skills. Some of them I wouldn't want in office because I disagree with their views and some I wouldn't mind in office, but I wouldn't argue that they don't have the skills necessary to be President.

    Palin I don't believe has the experience or skills.

    (Oh, and please don't come back with assertions that Obama doesn't have the experience or skills either...we all already agree that he isn't a good President, so making the comparison just makes Palin look worse)

    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Westminster, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by J Scott:

    A great President needs to be able to:

    - Understand fiscal policy inside and out;
    - Understand foreign policy in great detail;
    - Understand the intricate details of how the gov't works;
    - Be able to communicate precisely and concisely;
    - Have the respect of other politicians (both in her party and the other parties) who the President will rely on to get good legislation passed and bad legislation overturned;
    - Have strong negotiating skills;
    - Etc...


    This is YOUR requirements for the person in the office of the president, I presume?

    I can only find two requirements in the US Constitution, the person must be at least 45 years of age and be a Natural born US Citizen. Sarah Palin qualifies on these two counts.

    As for YOUR qualifications, history shows that Sarah Palin understands Fiscal Policy at the Local and State Level very well.

    Understanding Foreign Policy is the perview of the Secretary of State, who then advises the president.

    Understanding the intricate details of how government works can ONLY be learned if you are intimately involved. President Reagan was unfamiliar with the Federal Level but he learned it very quickly, like he learned California. Palin would have learned it the same way.

    Have respect of other politicians, I have to totally disagree. How about respect for law, order, your country and your fellow citizens! Washington needs to get out of the "norm" and be shaken to it's very core. Currently, Washington folks only respect two things, POWER and MONEY.

    Strong negotiating skills. I can agree with that to a point, not as a qualification but as a valuable skill. But the "you grease my palm and I will grease your palm" has to go.

    If Sarah Palin does not meet YOUR requirements for president, then that is your right to believe so and vote accordingly. Other people have different requirements for what they are looking for in a president.

    Here is my problem, I have two senators and one Rep that represent me in Washington. All three are Liberal. I have written them many times on many issues, and they always send me back the same form letter, that in so many words states, "Take a Hike, I don't care what you think or want." I think Sarah Palin will listen to all points of view, that she cares what others think, even if they have a differing viewpoint, and CARES about people.

    Palin is the "paradigm shift" politician. The change we were promised has not happened and I think Palin would have brought real change that this country needs. This is NOT a comparison to the current president, this is a comparison of PROMISES.

    Personally, I find Palin a refreshing change from the same, old, droll politician.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Select a State · Member since 2009 · 156 posts · 17 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Mike M:
    I am not able to get the exact truth here, but from what I have been able to find, Gov. Sarah Palin had ZERO ethics complaints against her BEFORE she was the VP candidate.


    I remeber that she had the ethics issue with the ex family member State Trooper she got fired. Other than that she was pretty clean afaik.
    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · colorado springs, CO · Member since 2009 · 283 posts · 45 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Mike M:

    Sarah Palin would make a good president because she knows what she doesn't know, and therefore, finds someone that knows what needs to be known.


    "There are known knowns. There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we now know we don’t know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don’t know."

    Passage that won Rumsfeld the the 2003 Foot in Mouth award from the Plain English Campaign.

    0
    Topic locked
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Mike M:

    This is YOUR requirements for the person in the office of the president, I presume?

    I can only find two requirements in the US Constitution, the person must be at least 45 years of age and be a Natural born US Citizen. Sarah Palin qualifies on these two counts.


    Okay, clearly you and I have different standards for what would make an acceptable President...

    Given your standards, I agree she fully qualifies.

    Given my standards, she's nowhere close.

    That's fair...

    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Santa Cruz, CA · Member since 2009 · 267 posts · 73 votes
    17y

    Yes J Scott, touche...

    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Andover, MN · Member since 2009 · 20 posts · 6 votes
    17y
    Originally posted by Mr_Investor:
    Originally posted by NC Mark:
    I would vote for her in a New York minute.



    You know something I would vote for Jerry Springer if he ran just to keep Obama from another term :mrgreen:


    I agree with you 100%
    Tony
    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Member since 2008 · 340 posts · 34 votes
    17y

    I find it ironic that those who claim Sarah Palin is so inconsequential and an unqualified politician have also made this thread one of the most popular on BP for the month of July.

    0
    Topic locked