Bitcoin is 10k again what are you going to do now?

267 Replies

Just curious what other investors think. Is this just another hype deal or is this a new reality for possible rent collection?

Side note, I tried to sell a house for bitcoin in 2013 with no takers or even one response.

Originally posted by @Taylor Chiu :

I think it's going to be a while more before it's mainstream enough for rent collection

Definitely the odd ball still, yet there are NYC landlords and private schools that accept for payment as is. But for sure ahead of curve if any. 

There is zero chance in hell I would take rent in a "currency" that can have 2X swings in a month. Who would ever think basing your business and income off of something so volatile is a good idea? In the next year the odds of it hitting $2k and $20k are about the same, I'll take a hard pass on it until it is stable

Originally posted by @Syed H. :

I have a small amount (to me) in it. I'm ok with gambling on it. Facebook starting Libra is huge for the industry. 

Yeah, that libra thing is kind of the missing piece. If FB pulls that off, which they have every single major payment corp on board already, visa, paypal etc ...that is sort of game over I guess. 

Originally posted by @Bryan Devitt :

There is zero chance in hell I would take rent in a "currency" that can have 2X swings in a month. Who would ever think basing your business and income off of something so volatile is a good idea? In the next year the odds of it hitting $2k and $20k are about the same, I'll take a hard pass on it until it is stable

Right on, although I think there are payments systems that convert to USD on the spot, but IDK tbh. From what I understand that is how it  works for the NYC landlords/schools or Lambo dealers and Tesla that take bitcoin. 

Originally posted by @Craig Jeppesen :

I will stick with real estate and stocks. I am an investor not a speculator. Good luck.

Seems reasonable. I am not sure if these are investments or another payment option or both. But I think the majority are not adapting to say the least. 

@Matt R. Blockchain tech will forever change payment processing on a global scale. As far as bit coin, I could only speculate. My angle is to watch companies that are investing in Real Time payments v. Bit coin. RTP is supported by The Clearing House. Hold on and get ready for light speed payments!

Originally posted by @Cory K Bente :

@Matt R. Blockchain tech will forever change payment processing on a global scale. As far as bit coin, I could only speculate. My angle is to watch companies that are investing in Real Time payments v. Bit coin. RTP is supported by The Clearing House. Hold on and get ready for light speed payments!

I can understand the cross border payment advantage, 7% vs zero% fee, the rest I am not upto speed. 

“if you can’t touch it you don’t own it “may sound archaic in todays society but I never had uncle Ben jump out of my back pocket or bounce on me.

To me crypto ain’t much-o

Imagine a global currency that cannot be manipulated by a government. No one can print more of it. It is of a finite quantity. This is not standard. This is not what you have been conditioned for. This could decrease the control over the powerful and open the world up in ways unimaginable.  Are you scared? You should be. Are you excited? You should be. 

Originally posted by @Craig Jeppesen :

I will stick with real estate and stocks. I am an investor not a speculator. Good luck.

Not to pick on you Craig but an "investor" should be riding this bull market to some ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS PROFITS. ;)

My ROI so far is 52.5%. It has CRUSHED my dividend portfolio. Started buying at $3700 near the bottom through shear dumb luck. Been taking profits along the way and will do so until the trend ends. I plan to pull my principle investment sometime soon and keep a balance of it. If any of you are traders (day or swing) you have missed a wet dream.

I would highly suggest looking into the technology and at least making an attempt to understand it. This technology is very interesting IMO. 

Originally posted by @Zeke Tessmer :

Imagine a global currency that cannot be manipulated by a government. No one can print more of it. It is of a finite quantity. This is not standard. This is not what you have been conditioned for. This could decrease the control over the powerful and open the world up in ways unimaginable.  Are you scared? You should be. Are you excited? You should be. 

I made decent money off a very little initial bet (into the 5 digits) on the last Bitcoin bull run. Paid my wife’s BMW off in full. Dabbled in a couple of big name ALTs before they blew up and crushed it (LTC, XRP, etc). Got very, very, lucky on those.

Have a friend who made so much (mid 6 figures), he took his money out of BTC, paid his taxes, and actually invested in a local brick and mortar bank startup...ironic.

Originally posted by @Dave DeMarco :
Originally posted by @Craig Jeppesen:

Not to pick on you Craig but an "investor" should be riding this bull market to some ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS PROFITS. ;)

My ROI so far is 52.5%. It has CRUSHED my dividend portfolio. Started buying at $3700 near the bottom through shear dumb luck. Been taking profits along the way and will do so until the trend ends. I plan to pull my principle investment sometime soon and keep a balance of it. If any of you are traders (day or swing) you have missed a wet dream.

I would highly suggest looking into the technology and at least making an attempt to understand it. This technology is very interesting IMO. 

See above. Already cashed in.

@Zeke Tessmer

I agree. I think bitcoin may be a good store of value for people who live in countries where there are few alternatives. People who want to keep money outside their government's control and away from quickly devaluing currencies.

Originally posted by @Matt R. :
Originally posted by @Bryan Devitt:

Right on, although I think there are payments systems that convert to USD on the spot, but IDK tbh. From what I understand that is how it  works for the NYC landlords/schools or Lambo dealers and Tesla that take bitcoin. 

There are apps to convert to USD immediately at the going rate, minus fees but then you're not paying in Bitcoin, you're paying in USD, so why have the Bitcoin in the first place? 

Originally posted by @Zeke Tessmer :

Umm but that isn't true. More Bitcoin are printed ever day, they call it mining. There are also many things in this world that are finite and hold zero value, there are also things that are finite and hold value that you should actually put money into like …. real estate! 

Originally posted by @Dave DeMarco :
Originally posted by @Craig Jeppesen:

For every one of you, how many invested at $10k or $20k with money from a second mortgage or credit card? You said it yourself, it was luck. I have many friends that owned a lot of it and told everyone to get in, even when it was $20k. Some sold off and are happy, most insisted it was going to hit $100k and now have a monthly payment they can't get rid of until they break even with interest if Bitcoin ever hits $20k again. When the next downturn happens, I am real curious how low Bitcoin gets