HELOC on a rental property: is it possible?

HELOC on a rental property: is it possible?

Property Manager · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 514 posts · 470 votes
Hi everyone. I know back before the housing crisis it was possible to get a HELOC on a rental property, but is this still possible today? Have any of you recently done this? We have one single family home and looking to get more. Just wondering if this route would be an option. Thanks!
2Reply
187 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
8y

@Elenis Camargo  It is possible but not a lot of banks do them so you just have to call around to find the ones that will.

There's several forum posts that mention PenFed does them.  Here's one of the recent posts: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/50/topics/590148-heloc-on-an-investment-property

When you call around, here's a list of questions you can ask the banks to help find the right one for you: What You Need to Know When Shopping for a HELOC.

Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

82 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Newport News, VA · Member since 2016 · 128 posts · 54 votes
    8y
    @Elenis C. Last summer I used heloc on 3 rental properties In order to purchase a flip. I went with a local credit union bank, and got 80%.
  • Investor / Broker · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 665 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Elenis Camargo

    Hi Elenis, one of my partners just got approved to close on a loan from a Bank called East West Bank: Click here to visit the site

    It's the only NO DOC, No Owner Occupancy HELOC that that I have ever seen.

    The details on the loan is:

    Position - 2nd Lien Position

    Amount - $350k

    Rate: Variable at Prime plus 2% (1% if 1st Lien position)

    Closing Costs: Owner pays closing costs estimated at 5%. This is NYC and we have a hefty Mortgage Tax on multi-family. So at least 2.8% is used up on the 5% closing costs.

    LTV: 60% if the CLTV is below $1 Million. 50% if CLTV is above $1 Million.

    As @Account Closed mentioned, this is an EXPENSIVE loan.. but... because my investments are in NYC, the Cash Flow is minimal. Therefore, the NO DOC HELOC is really my only way to go for these very expensive, very low cash flow properties. It's still a lot better than Hard Money.

    Hope this info helps.

  • Orange County, CA · Member since 2018 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    8y
    @Elenis C. Check out Penfed union, they do 80% LTV on rental. I got my HELOC from them on my rental property in FL.
  • Property Manager · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 514 posts · 470 votes
    8y

    @Matt Crawford This is great. Thanks so much!

  • Property Manager · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 514 posts · 470 votes
    8y

    @Huso Akaratovic That's great! They let you combine them in order to do a larger HELOC?

  • Property Manager · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 514 posts · 470 votes
    8y

    @Llewelyn A. Thanks! I'm actually living in Brooklyn as well, so I know how expensive it is here! That's why we decided to invest out of state. You use this strategy for rentals or for flipping? What area are you in? We are in Crown Heights.

  • Property Manager · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 514 posts · 470 votes
    8y

    @Phuong Le Will do! Thanks!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Newport News, VA · Member since 2016 · 128 posts · 54 votes
    8y

    @Elenis Camargo they did not combine them. I did them all separately, but I still got the same outcome. No cost to me whatsoever, Just extra paperwork for them:)

  • Investor · lehigh valley, PA · Member since 2014 · 242 posts · 23 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Elenis Camargo:
    Hi everyone. I know back before the housing crisis it was possible to get a HELOC on a rental property, but is this still possible today? Have any of you recently done this? We have one single family home and looking to get more. Just wondering if this route would be an option. Thanks!

    Yes Lafayette Ambassador Bank is the only bank I could find. :-)

  • Investor / Broker · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 665 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Elenis Camargo

    Hey! Brooklyn in the House! Ha! 

    Some of my RE Investment Students also live in Crown Heights. If you want to join a group that's focused on learning how to invest in any Neighborhood, whether or not it's for Cash Flow or appreciation or both, send me a Private Message.

    I have been investing in Brooklyn since 1997 and currently have 8 multi-Family buildings, mostly 3 and 4 Family.

    The neighborhoods we invest in is Ditmas Park, Windsor Terrace, Clinton Hill, and Bed-Stuy.

    We had a 3 Family in Contract on Classon and Bergen, but the Seller got sued by a relative and we got out recently. Now we will target a new property soon.

    Learning about investing in your neck of the woods will be a contrast to investing out of State. But knowledge is power and you can make a powerful decision once you understand the different strategies.

  • Property Manager · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 514 posts · 470 votes
    8y
    @Jimmy S. I just called PenFed and they do it also!!
  • Property Manager · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 514 posts · 470 votes
    8y
    @Llewelyn A. Awesome!! Just PM’d you now :)
  • Real Estate Broker · Van Wert, OH · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 15 votes
    8y
    @Elenis C. I received a HELOC from a local lender in my area...85% LTV. It was fairly simple. Good luck!
  • Garrett MayPro Member
    Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2008 · 67 posts · 14 votes
    8y
    @Charlie Palmer Where did you go to find these lenders? I am from the Cleveland, Ohio area.
  • Remote · Member since 2015 · 39 posts · 19 votes
    8y

    @Garrett May I found these locally at Hancock Federal Credit Union in Findlay, Ohio. I think you need to be a resident of Hancock county for them though, or an adjacent county. My other lender that has facilitated this was Standing Stone Bank in Lancaster, Ohio. If you need help with contact information for the right person, DM me and I will help where I can. 

  • Investor/Agent/CPA · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 249 posts · 207 votes
    8y
    Charlie Palmer For Standing Stone, does it have to be in your personal name or is an LLC ok? Thanks!
  • Remote · Member since 2015 · 39 posts · 19 votes
    8y

    @Mark Welp, the conversation did not come up. We just pursued the LOC with the entity as an LLC. They didn't raise any concerns about this, at least not to me. I think on the commercial side of things, we just assumed it would be in place as an LLC.

    I would say as a caveat, that the properties held in this regard were in a stand alone LLC for clarification.

  • Investor/Agent/CPA · Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 249 posts · 207 votes
    8y

    Thanks @Account Closed

  • Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed do you have a contact at key bank that you can share? thanks

  • Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    @Elenis Camargo did you find a bank to work with?

  • Property Manager · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 514 posts · 470 votes
    8y

    @Michelle Hansley Yes! As a few recommended, PenFed does this. I called and asked to verify. We purchased another rental property this month so I am waiting for that to close before doing the HELOC on the first property. Are you looking to do the same?

  • Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    @Elenis Camargo Sorry for the late response. Yes I am looking for a HELOC as well on non owner occupied. Do you have to be affiliated with the military to use PenFed?

  • Rental Property Investor · Racine, WI · Member since 2012 · 27 posts · 21 votes
    8y

    @Elenis Camargo These are for sure possible. I'm doing one with a local bank and they are lending up to 75% appraised value. I did have to call around to several banks though. Most banks would only to a HELOC if I carried the first mortgage on the property with them. Also the bank that I am currently doing the HELOC will do up to 100% if its owner occupied.

    They are out there you just have to look. If one bank turns me down I then ask if they know who might and they give me a name or two to call.  

    And even if you find a bank that will make sure to keep calling to see if there are others and what their terms are.

  • Property Manager · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 514 posts · 470 votes
    8y
    @Michelle Hansley No problem! No, they just require you to open an account and have a $5 balance. Anyone can open an account. I will be doing a HELOC at the end of the year but everything sounded super possible.
  • USA · Member since 2012 · 8 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    In additional to PenFed, Wells Fargo and TD Bank which will also do HELOC on rental properties.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.