HELOC on a rental property: is it possible?

HELOC on a rental property: is it possible?

Property Manager · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 514 posts · 470 votes
Hi everyone. I know back before the housing crisis it was possible to get a HELOC on a rental property, but is this still possible today? Have any of you recently done this? We have one single family home and looking to get more. Just wondering if this route would be an option. Thanks!
2Reply
235 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
8y

@Elenis Camargo  It is possible but not a lot of banks do them so you just have to call around to find the ones that will.

There's several forum posts that mention PenFed does them.  Here's one of the recent posts: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/50/topics/590148-heloc-on-an-investment-property

When you call around, here's a list of questions you can ask the banks to help find the right one for you: What You Need to Know When Shopping for a HELOC.

Good luck!

See this reply in the discussion

82 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 514 posts · 470 votes
    7y
    @Steven Murray Awesome. Thanks! I’m getting ready to do the HELOC finally. I’ll call them as well.
  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 215 posts · 42 votes
    7y

    @Elenis Camargo - any idea what the requirements are for PenFed for their HELOC? Do they require w2 income or is it an asset based loan?

  • Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 491 votes
    7y

    PenFed requires W2 and tax returns

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    fyi..I have done 2  HELOCs with PenFed pretty recently and the process was really smooth and painless. Only income doc they asked me for was a recent paystub.

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    Looking to do cash out refinance or heloc on my rentals. I have no loans on the property.

    Read some reviews online for Penfed, lot of negatives. Whats your experience?  @Elenis C.

  • Rental Property Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2018 · 46 posts · 12 votes
    7y

    Does anyone know any banks in SC, preferably near Charleston area that do HELOC's on rental properties?

    Thank you for your help!

  • Charleston, SC · Member since 2013 · 380 posts · 157 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Forrest Shealy:

    Does anyone know any banks in SC, preferably near Charleston area that do HELOC's on rental properties?

    Thank you for your help!

    I think TD Bank told me they do that.  Phil Dumouchel is who I work with there. BP won't let me post his number but you can look him up.    Let him know I sent you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2018 · 46 posts · 12 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @John Semanchuk:
    Originally posted by @Forrest Shealy:

    Does anyone know any banks in SC, preferably near Charleston area that do HELOC's on rental properties?

    Thank you for your help!

    I think TD Bank told me they do that.  Phil Dumouchel is who I work with there. BP won't let me post his number but you can look him up.    Let him know I sent you.

    Thank you! I will let him know you referred me.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @John W. What are some of the other requirements? I have a rental property that I just don't have the credit right now to apply for a HELOC. Any suggestions?

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Matt Crawford wouldn't it be better to have that revolving credit then a lower payment with maybe a higher interest rate?

  • Real Estate Agent · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2014 · 473 posts · 230 votes
    7y

    I've done 2 with penfed recently. Got 80% ltv. Smooth and only took a few weeks.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Daniel C. Due you know the minimum credit this can be done at?

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Chris Higgins do you know the minimum credit score to be able to do this?

  • Realtor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2018 · 84 posts · 51 votes
    7y

    I don't think TD does it.  Try Heritage Trust or Tidelands.  Best best is going to be hard money lender though.

  • Real Estate Agent · Pomona, CA · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ryan Behnke:

    @Elenis Camargo These are for sure possible. I'm doing one with a local bank and they are lending up to 75% appraised value. I did have to call around to several banks though. Most banks would only to a HELOC if I carried the first mortgage on the property with them. Also the bank that I am currently doing the HELOC will do up to 100% if its owner occupied.

    They are out there you just have to look. If one bank turns me down I then ask if they know who might and they give me a name or two to call.  

    And even if you find a bank that will make sure to keep calling to see if there are others and what their terms are.

    Ryan, who are you using to get 100% LTV? You can just throw that out there and leave us hanging..haha.

  • Rental Property Investor · Racine, WI · Member since 2012 · 27 posts · 21 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ryley Marble:
    Originally posted by @Ryan Behnke:

    @Elenis Camargo These are for sure possible. I'm doing one with a local bank and they are lending up to 75% appraised value. I did have to call around to several banks though. Most banks would only to a HELOC if I carried the first mortgage on the property with them. Also the bank that I am currently doing the HELOC will do up to 100% if its owner occupied.

    They are out there you just have to look. If one bank turns me down I then ask if they know who might and they give me a name or two to call.  

    And even if you find a bank that will make sure to keep calling to see if there are others and what their terms are.

    Ryan, who are you using to get 100% LTV? You can just throw that out there and leave us hanging..haha.

     Huntington Bank. Again it has to be owner occupied. 

  • Investor · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2017 · 102 posts · 88 votes
    7y

    @Elenis Camargo did you end up going with PenFed? If so was it a good experience? 

  • Kingsport, TN · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    We used PenFed in May and it was relatively painless. Everything went according to schedule and the process was pretty easy. We did have to pay for an appraisal because they weren’t able to run a computer-based one (said the numbers on the comps were inconclusive). 80% ltv

  • Dublin, CA · Member since 2010 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Callie Brown:

    We used PenFed in May and it was relatively painless. Everything went according to schedule and the process was pretty easy. We did have to pay for an appraisal because they weren’t able to run a computer-based one (said the numbers on the comps were inconclusive). 80% ltv

    Do you have a contact or just contact through website.  I am in CA 

  • Kingsport, TN · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    You won’t need a contact, they’re very accessible. Before we applied, we just called their customer service to ask all of our questions and they were actually really helpful and took time explaining options. Later, we applied over the phone and sent documents online. 


    P.S. Make sure you don't say the HELOC is for "business" purposes. You can just say it's for improving the property or similar, but they won't let you get a HELOC to fund your "rental business."

  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Easiest loan I ever got was PenFed HELOC!

  • Homeowner · Channelview, TX · Member since 2015 · 97 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    Wells Fargo offers HELOCs on investment properties with up to a 60% of LTV. They are offering me a variable rate of 1.25 points over prime which is currently something like 6.25%.

  • Real Estate Investor · Livonia, MI · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    Add to list = Community Financial Credit union will do HELOC's on investment properties as well (non owner occupied). They are 70% max however, and you have to have owned the property for >1 year. (Caught me up, because I bought the house as cash like 7 months ago, but now want to use some of that equity). Also they now require an appraisal through one of their "approved" contractors. And the rate is not so positive @ 500-700$.

    Sounds like Penfed is getting some good praise, I’ll look into their setup. TY for all the replies, a bunch of good new opportunities to look into! 

  • Woodstock, MD · Member since 2016 · 44 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    Good thread here about HELOC and positive experience with especially PENFED. I am currently out of job but have substantial equity on 2 rental properties. Can anyone suggest how to get HELOC on rental properties with no pay stubs or employment income? Thank you.

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Will Gaston. Navy Federal did it for me.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.