• New to Real Estate
  • Southeast Missouri
Votes |
Stuck trying to make a decision

Jose Botello
  • New to Real Estate
  • Southeast Missouri
Posted Jan 18 2024, 16:25

Little back story. I Have been trying to get started on real estate for about 3 years now, my wife and I were close to pulling the trigger on a property when a plot of land came up at a discount price. We’ve always wanted land to build on, been together for 10 years. Anyways, we bought the land, cut the timber off of it and essentially got our down payment back plus some. My dilemma is, should I start building or take the money and look for a property? Building would put me at a 5 minute drive to work vs 30 min currently and we would be down sizing bringing our mortgage payment down and we’d be in a happier place. Doing all of this would delay investing. 
Thoughts? Suggestions? 

Thank you all!!

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Replied Jan 18 2024, 16:31

From what you've written, it is clear that you want to build a place.  It sounds like you've been waiting along time to do it, so take the opportunity.

Once the house is built, you could use your current home as a rental if the numbers work. If they don't work, use the money from the sale of the home to buy a rental.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Mac
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 18 2024, 16:52

You logged off a whole lot, and made a profit out of it.

I am impressed with this!

Did you do it 100% yourself with a chainsaw and a log splitter?

How did you sell the wood?

That is some serious Daniel Boone stuff there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7PIsHh8MXs

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ken M.
Pro Member
#4 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Investor
  • Nationally
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Tax, SDIRAs & Cost Segregation Contributor
  • Investor
  • Nationally
Replied Jan 28 2024, 21:14
Quote from @Jose Botello:

Little back story. I Have been trying to get started on real estate for about 3 years now, my wife and I were close to pulling the trigger on a property when a plot of land came up at a discount price. We’ve always wanted land to build on, been together for 10 years. Anyways, we bought the land, cut the timber off of it and essentially got our down payment back plus some. My dilemma is, should I start building or take the money and look for a property? Building would put me at a 5 minute drive to work vs 30 min currently and we would be down sizing bringing our mortgage payment down and we’d be in a happier place. Doing all of this would delay investing. 
Thoughts? Suggestions? 

Thank you all!!

Family First. Build, be Happy.

User Stats

Votes
Scott Trench
Pro Member
  • President of BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • President of BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jan 28 2024, 21:19

I agree with the other folks. If you’ve waited 10 years to build your home, maybe it’s time to do it!

User Stats

Votes
Jose Botello
  • New to Real Estate
  • Southeast Missouri
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Southeast Missouri
Replied Jan 29 2024, 17:59
Quote from @Ken M.:
Quote from @Jose Botello:

Thoughts? Suggestions? 

Thank you all!!

Family First. Build, be Happy.

Thank you! 

User Stats

Votes
Jose Botello
  • New to Real Estate
  • Southeast Missouri
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Southeast Missouri
Replied Jan 29 2024, 18:01
Quote from @Scott Trench:

I agree with the other folks. If you’ve waited 10 years to build your home, maybe it’s time to do it!

I think I’ve made up my mind. I didn’t know about real estate until about 3-4 years ago and that’s when I really started studying and reading about it. The I found BP about a year ago! So it really has me itching to get started!

User Stats

Votes
Jose Botello
  • New to Real Estate
  • Southeast Missouri
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Southeast Missouri
Replied Jan 29 2024, 18:04
Quote from @Scott Mac:

You logged off a whole lot, and made a profit out of it.

I am impressed with this!

Did you do it 100% yourself with a chainsaw and a log splitter?

How did you sell the wood?

That is some serious Daniel Boone stuff there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7PIsHh8MXs

Ha! I wish! That would have taken me months and months! I hired a logging company they did it all I just collected my share of sale of the logs to the mill 

User Stats

Votes
Jose Botello
  • New to Real Estate
  • Southeast Missouri
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Southeast Missouri
Replied Jan 29 2024, 18:05
Quote from @Theresa Harris:

From what you've written, it is clear that you want to build a place.  It sounds like you've been waiting along time to do it, so take the opportunity.

Once the house is built, you could use your current home as a rental if the numbers work. If they don't work, use the money from the sale of the home to buy a rental.

That was plan B. But since I’ve been listening to BP I’m itching to get started! I’m afraid I’m going to have to sell my current home due to the rental market not being the greatest for my little town

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan R McLaughlin
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boston, Massachusetts (MA)
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Boston, Massachusetts (MA)
Replied Jan 29 2024, 21:19

sure sounds like you are investing to me! Congratulations. And if you could make a little money on the timber of that lot....check out Jay Hinrichs' stories of timber investing. 

If I'm reading you right you already have a primary, so keep it and rent it out when you finish building and voila, there is your investment property. Or sell that and get another.

You will know more than 90% of investors once you complete this project as well. Any chance you could build a duplex or some kind of second unit on the property you bought? Even an in-law would allow for some income and flexibility. 

And you 

User Stats

Votes
Jose Botello
  • New to Real Estate
  • Southeast Missouri
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Southeast Missouri
Replied Jan 31 2024, 03:33
Quote from @Jonathan R McLaughlin:

sure sounds like you are investing to me! Congratulations. And if you could make a little money on the timber of that lot....check out Jay Hinrichs' stories of timber investing. 

If I'm reading you right you already have a primary, so keep it and rent it out when you finish building and voila, there is your investment property. Or sell that and get another.

You will know more than 90% of investors once you complete this project as well. Any chance you could build a duplex or some kind of second unit on the property you bought? Even an in-law would allow for some income and flexibility. 

And you 

I need to listen to that! We do have a primary home already. There’s a possibility to build and in-law suite or some sort of small apartment separate from the main home once we build. Thank you all for the advice!