Do some people just have "it". Whatever "it" is...

Do some people just have "it". Whatever "it" is...

Zachary StanleyBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Bentonville, AR · Member since 2021 · 17 posts · 23 votes

Do you ever run across individuals that just have "it"? It's the "it" factor that some people just walk around with, conduct their business with and operate their life with. 

My question is what is "it"? Is that years of development? Are people born with it? 


Lastly, to be a successful investor do you need to have the "it" factor? Can you be a successful investor and not have that swagger and confidence that those people walk around with? 

2Reply
81 views

Most Popular Reply

Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
2y

Just be yourself.

Be truthful in your words.

Be a man of your words- do what you say you.

Always deal with others in an honest manner.

And all will be well.

Just my 2 cents.

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • AJ ExnerPro Member
    Lender · Springfield, MO · Member since 2023 · 654 posts · 315 votes
    2y

    I think so, I do think it can be developed, honed, and strengthened like any muscle. It is something that I have seen in my life that is fascinating to see how it is used and leveraged in others.

    The good news, is that I do not think for one second that you need to have "it" to be a successful investor. I am amazed by the variety in my clients and how very unassuming folks have very successful careers investing in RE. Does it help, absolutely, but is it necessary, not at all. 

  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Zachary Stanley I think you can develop and grow into your “it”.

    I definitely didn’t have it years ago, I was a shy introvert. I was completely overshadowed by my Ex who was a strong Type A personality.

    Now that I am in a different relationship, in a different employment position, and have a few years under my belt as a real estate investor I am fully moving into my own period of “It”.

    I’ve learned to set the goals for where I want to be and I’m taking the steps necessary to get there. I still have those moments where I’m introverted and think about being terrified to make that phone call or go to that meeting and then I remember that I’m the only one who can make my dreams a reality.

    I’m convinced you can learn to have “It” Zachary. Set goals, develop a plan to begin reaching them. Learn to build your confidence. Do the hard things. “It” will begin to appear more and more often!

  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    The "it" factor varies but it usually is always with some ability to manage stress better than their relative peers. Once you're able to do that, you really will be "that" person. 

    I've seen it in a (successful) trading career, in running small businesses, in parenting. Lots of people, in person, ask for advice how to do it. How to be that guy. It's really managing stress, once you know how to really not feel that stress towards the topic, goal, or objective, you will make it look easy.

    The most successful people I know don't have a swagger personally, they have confidence. But if they walked into the restaurant you would not know they are the most successful type. And as you get more successful, the more you'll be careful how loud you are and how much more privacy you wish to have. That part of the "it" factor is american & human generated attention seeking. It's more harmful than good, the level of benefit is networking. Almost all other areas are detrimental.

    If you really show the "it" factors and operate like that, people come to you. You don't need to be loud about it .

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Zachary Stanley:

    Do you ever run across individuals that just have "it"? It's the "it" factor that some people just walk around with, conduct their business with and operate their life with. 

    My question is what is "it"? Is that years of development? Are people born with it? 


    Lastly, to be a successful investor do you need to have the "it" factor? Can you be a successful investor and not have that swagger and confidence that those people walk around with? 


     As one other mentioned, typically the most successful I have seen are the ones you would never know they are successful. They are not out there touting how awesome they are, how you need to buy their next product etc. They are not a guru I guess is what I mean. Those that do not brag about themselves typically have a very calm and quiet confidence. They know they got it but they do not need to advertise it because of their confidence. Now to get it, typically it takes experience. Why I say that is "it" is a combination of mentality and experience. Some have the mentality and not the experience and others when they get the experience get the mentality.

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Zachary Stanley:

    Do you ever run across individuals that just have "it"? It's the "it" factor that some people just walk around with, conduct their business with and operate their life with. 

    My question is what is "it"? Is that years of development? Are people born with it? 


    Lastly, to be a successful investor do you need to have the "it" factor? Can you be a successful investor and not have that swagger and confidence that those people walk around with? 


     The trait !

    I know so many people that have good trait that whenever they created a company they always bought , seen someone like 5 times in a row. And if you meet them they are one of the humblest person in the world.

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:
    Quote from @Zachary Stanley:

    Do you ever run across individuals that just have "it"? It's the "it" factor that some people just walk around with, conduct their business with and operate their life with. 

    My question is what is "it"? Is that years of development? Are people born with it? 


    Lastly, to be a successful investor do you need to have the "it" factor? Can you be a successful investor and not have that swagger and confidence that those people walk around with? 


     As one other mentioned, typically the most successful I have seen are the ones you would never know they are successful. They are not out there touting how awesome they are, how you need to buy their next product etc. They are not a guru I guess is what I mean. Those that do not brag about themselves typically have a very calm and quiet confidence. They know they got it but they do not need to advertise it because of their confidence. Now to get it, typically it takes experience. Why I say that is "it" is a combination of mentality and experience. Some have the mentality and not the experience and others when they get the experience get the mentality.


     precisely

  • Robin SimonBusiness Member
    Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:
    Quote from @Zachary Stanley:

    Do you ever run across individuals that just have "it"? It's the "it" factor that some people just walk around with, conduct their business with and operate their life with. 

    My question is what is "it"? Is that years of development? Are people born with it? 


    Lastly, to be a successful investor do you need to have the "it" factor? Can you be a successful investor and not have that swagger and confidence that those people walk around with? 


     As one other mentioned, typically the most successful I have seen are the ones you would never know they are successful. They are not out there touting how awesome they are, how you need to buy their next product etc. They are not a guru I guess is what I mean. Those that do not brag about themselves typically have a very calm and quiet confidence. They know they got it but they do not need to advertise it because of their confidence. Now to get it, typically it takes experience. Why I say that is "it" is a combination of mentality and experience. Some have the mentality and not the experience and others when they get the experience get the mentality.


     This is always the "tell" - if someone presents themselves as a guru or has discovered a "secret" to quick success in something related to real estate LOGIC = they would keep it to themselves as a closely guarded trade secret and reap the rewards, not spread it far and wide for a quick buck..

  • Wholesaler · Texas, USA · Member since 2022 · 139 posts · 40 votes
    2y

    I think “it” is developed and strengthened. 

    If you need help with that, I highly recommend this free program. It has changed my life and helped me develop the discipline and traits required to build a successful business and the life I want. https://open.spotify.com/episode/5k7tZRpBpOkWyDaAZOVuZ3?si=C...

    Always a continuing work in progress taking me one day and one step further in the journey to build an empire. 

  • Wholesaler · Texas, USA · Member since 2022 · 139 posts · 40 votes
    2y

    I think “it” is developed and strengthened. 

    If you need help with that, I highly recommend this free program. It has changed my life and helped me develop the discipline and traits required to build a successful business and the life I want. https://open.spotify.com/episode/5k7tZRpBpOkWyDaAZOVuZ3?si=C...

    Always a continuing work in progress taking me one day and one step further in the journey to build an empire. 

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Morgan Gutierrez:

    I think “it” is developed and strengthened. 

    If you need help with that, I highly recommend this free program. It has changed my life and helped me develop the discipline and traits required to build a successful business and the life I want. https://open.spotify.com/episode/5k7tZRpBpOkWyDaAZOVuZ3?si=C...

    Always a continuing work in progress taking me one day and one step further in the journey to build an empire. 


     what's all of these about ?

    sometimes some people are just having good luck in making good decison in the past, like i am not smart to not purchased house in 2009 but i'm not smart enough to reject job from company number one now in 2023 lol....

    my "it" probably I can foresee future and risk management better, i still scratching my head why people much richer/smarter than me is investing into this and that....

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y

    Just be yourself.

    Be truthful in your words.

    Be a man of your words- do what you say you.

    Always deal with others in an honest manner.

    And all will be well.

    Just my 2 cents.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · CA · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Zachary Stanley:

    Do you ever run across individuals that just have "it"? It's the "it" factor that some people just walk around with, conduct their business with and operate their life with. 

    My question is what is "it"? Is that years of development? Are people born with it? 


    Lastly, to be a successful investor do you need to have the "it" factor? Can you be a successful investor and not have that swagger and confidence that those people walk around with? 


     Wow, this thread is pretty deep. Pretty much above my "pay grade" lol. I agree with what Scott said. "Say what you do, do what you say"

    i like to focus on solving other people's problems. After all these aren't really problems, but opportunities for solutions.

    I've found that there's alot smarter people in life than me, so I'm very interested in learning from the.

    Ok my brain hurts now, lol

  • Zachary StanleyBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Bentonville, AR · Member since 2021 · 17 posts · 23 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Scott Mac:

    Just be yourself.

    Be truthful in your words.

    Be a man of your words- do what you say you.

    Always deal with others in an honest manner.

    And all will be well.

    Just my 2 cents.

    Also, I just want to clarify to everybody I'm not looking to find "it". 

    Just a thought provoking question lol. 
  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Zachary Stanley:
    Quote from @Scott Mac:

    Just be yourself.

    Be truthful in your words.

    Be a man of your words- do what you say you.

    Always deal with others in an honest manner.

    And all will be well.

    Just my 2 cents.

    Also, I just want to clarify to everybody I'm not looking to find "it". 

    Just a thought provoking question lol. 

     the IT can be "Trust in God" to ... "cold plunge" :-) LOL

  • Rental Property Investor · Rochester, MN · Member since 2017 · 224 posts · 323 votes
    2y

    @Zachary Stanley

    Self development is definitely possible, but yes, some people just have ‘it’

    ‘It’ is a combination of things…..right attitude, right goals, right mindset, right time, right place and the hardest part of all…the right people have to see something in you that makes them work with you before others.

  • Member since 2019 · 90 posts · 56 votes
    2y

    Don’t worry about “it.”

    Real estate is a people business and everyone sees various harsh realities. The road is not easy. But, the “it” is the experience of managing the business.

    If you think about “it” you are already ahead of all those unfortunate people who realized one income is not enough by being on this forum!

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y

    I have worked with a lot of new investors over the last 10 years and most never bought a second property. Even if the first deal worked out just fine for them. The ones that did have a deep passion for brick & mortar and everything that comes with it. They are just relentless in their pursuit and find a way to overcome any obstacle where others just give up or get sidetracked. When you ask them about their passion, they always talk about the physical asset first and ROI later. People who mention ROI first usually don't go far.

    Great exampleI am going to list a duplex next week from a client who bought it 3 years ago. When I asked him why, are the tenants giving you trouble, is something wrong with the building? He said no, everything is fine, he just does not have the headspace to deall with it and wants to build a home for himself. The Milwaukee market has done well enough over the last 3 years that they will walk away with a nice profit, but I am still a little sorry for them because it is a picture perfect duplex, all brick and large. Will be a great listing tough.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    2y

    I think people are born with some degree of 'it'. But it can be developed as we grow older. Experience is definitely a big 'it' builder.

    And definitely those who talk the game constantly do not necessarily have 'it'. As the old saying goes; the most dangerous person in the room is that guy sitting in the corner by himself not saying anything.

  • Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2011 · 956 posts · 510 votes
    2y

    I believe the “it “

    is desire.   

    You have to want something immensely in 

    order to feel the motivation and not get 

    discouraged when obstacles occur. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:

    I have worked with a lot of new investors over the last 10 years and most never bought a second property. Even if the first deal worked out just fine for them. The ones that did have a deep passion for brick & mortar and everything that comes with it. They are just relentless in their pursuit and find a way to overcome any obstacle where others just give up or get sidetracked. When you ask them about their passion, they always talk about the physical asset first and ROI later. People who mention ROI first usually don't go far.

    Great exampleI am going to list a duplex next week from a client who bought it 3 years ago. When I asked him why, are the tenants giving you trouble, is something wrong with the building? He said no, everything is fine, he just does not have the headspace to deall with it and wants to build a home for himself. The Milwaukee market has done well enough over the last 3 years that they will walk away with a nice profit, but I am still a little sorry for them because it is a picture perfect duplex, all brick and large. Will be a great listing tough.

    I think you have to put this in categories..  Investor category  IE you have money and you want to be an investor..  Or you have not a lot of money and you want in the industry ( RE sales  MLO PM etc) you know make money transaction-ally.

    For Transactional you for sure can see those with the it factor.. Every real Estate brokerage house will display this or Mortgage shop or car salesmen etc.. those are your top producers.. 1 out of 10 is generally the top dog

    As an investor not so much you just need a good job so you can actually qualify these days for non owner occ loans.. And some semblance of knowledge on owning and running rentals. You can be a zero personality wise it does not matter.  Since your going to engage other sales folks to bring you the deals and  take care of you long term  IE  PM etc etc.  PM to me needs to be more of a no BS tough as nails person given what they have to do and all the sob stories that tenants throw at them.

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:

    I have worked with a lot of new investors over the last 10 years and most never bought a second property. Even if the first deal worked out just fine for them. The ones that did have a deep passion for brick & mortar and everything that comes with it. They are just relentless in their pursuit and find a way to overcome any obstacle where others just give up or get sidetracked. When you ask them about their passion, they always talk about the physical asset first and ROI later. People who mention ROI first usually don't go far.

    Great exampleI am going to list a duplex next week from a client who bought it 3 years ago. When I asked him why, are the tenants giving you trouble, is something wrong with the building? He said no, everything is fine, he just does not have the headspace to deall with it and wants to build a home for himself. The Milwaukee market has done well enough over the last 3 years that they will walk away with a nice profit, but I am still a little sorry for them because it is a picture perfect duplex, all brick and large. Will be a great listing tough.

    I think you have to put this in categories..  Investor category  IE you have money and you want to be an investor..  Or you have not a lot of money and you want in the industry ( RE sales  MLO PM etc) you know make money transaction-ally.

    For Transactional you for sure can see those with the it factor.. Every real Estate brokerage house will display this or Mortgage shop or car salesmen etc.. those are your top producers.. 1 out of 10 is generally the top dog

    As an investor not so much you just need a good job so you can actually qualify these days for non owner occ loans.. And some semblance of knowledge on owning and running rentals. You can be a zero personality wise it does not matter.  Since your going to engage other sales folks to bring you the deals and  take care of you long term  IE  PM etc etc.  PM to me needs to be more of a no BS tough as nails person given what they have to do and all the sob stories that tenants throw at them.

    Yes. Very different personality traits. That's why you don't find many people that score high in both categories. Probably easier for a top producing agent to become an investor than the other way around.

    But there is a strange penomenon: Out of 400 agents in my office there is just a hand full that have rentals (and 2 of them on my team) - and it would be so easy in Milwaukee. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:

    I have worked with a lot of new investors over the last 10 years and most never bought a second property. Even if the first deal worked out just fine for them. The ones that did have a deep passion for brick & mortar and everything that comes with it. They are just relentless in their pursuit and find a way to overcome any obstacle where others just give up or get sidetracked. When you ask them about their passion, they always talk about the physical asset first and ROI later. People who mention ROI first usually don't go far.

    Great exampleI am going to list a duplex next week from a client who bought it 3 years ago. When I asked him why, are the tenants giving you trouble, is something wrong with the building? He said no, everything is fine, he just does not have the headspace to deall with it and wants to build a home for himself. The Milwaukee market has done well enough over the last 3 years that they will walk away with a nice profit, but I am still a little sorry for them because it is a picture perfect duplex, all brick and large. Will be a great listing tough.

    I think you have to put this in categories..  Investor category  IE you have money and you want to be an investor..  Or you have not a lot of money and you want in the industry ( RE sales  MLO PM etc) you know make money transaction-ally.

    For Transactional you for sure can see those with the it factor.. Every real Estate brokerage house will display this or Mortgage shop or car salesmen etc.. those are your top producers.. 1 out of 10 is generally the top dog

    As an investor not so much you just need a good job so you can actually qualify these days for non owner occ loans.. And some semblance of knowledge on owning and running rentals. You can be a zero personality wise it does not matter.  Since your going to engage other sales folks to bring you the deals and  take care of you long term  IE  PM etc etc.  PM to me needs to be more of a no BS tough as nails person given what they have to do and all the sob stories that tenants throw at them.

    Yes. Very different personality traits. That's why you don't find many people that score high in both categories. Probably easier for a top producing agent to become an investor than the other way around.

    But there is a strange penomenon: Out of 400 agents in my office there is just a hand full that have rentals (and 2 of them on my team) - and it would be so easy in Milwaukee. 


    Rentals take time and effort and top producing agents in many markets simply make more revenue concentrating on sales than running rentals.. but i get what your saying..  I think this really depends on the markets as well.. out in the mid west I see a lot more agents owning rentals than on the West coast since the price points are so vastly different.. Especially all those guys @reafco in Columbus :)
  • Scott TrenchPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    2y

    Some people think they have "it", and get that reinforced by others around them. "It" has seemed to me to be a viral feedback loop of reinforcement. It can be powerful and create a ton of leverage, and it can give people huge heads, lead them to take incredible risks, and think everything they touch turns to gold. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Scott Trench:

    Some people think they have "it", and get that reinforced by others around them. "It" has seemed to me to be a viral feedback loop of reinforcement. It can be powerful and create a ton of leverage, and it can give people huge heads, lead them to take incredible risks, and think everything they touch turns to gold. 


    or the fake it till you make it !!!! which is so prevalent in SM and Utube stuff etc. Seems like Every guru has the same background.. I was broke living in my moms garage and yes I dug myself out with my super secret system and now you to can do what I did just buy my course.
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:

    I have worked with a lot of new investors over the last 10 years and most never bought a second property. Even if the first deal worked out just fine for them. The ones that did have a deep passion for brick & mortar and everything that comes with it. They are just relentless in their pursuit and find a way to overcome any obstacle where others just give up or get sidetracked. When you ask them about their passion, they always talk about the physical asset first and ROI later. People who mention ROI first usually don't go far.

    Great exampleI am going to list a duplex next week from a client who bought it 3 years ago. When I asked him why, are the tenants giving you trouble, is something wrong with the building? He said no, everything is fine, he just does not have the headspace to deall with it and wants to build a home for himself. The Milwaukee market has done well enough over the last 3 years that they will walk away with a nice profit, but I am still a little sorry for them because it is a picture perfect duplex, all brick and large. Will be a great listing tough.

    I think you have to put this in categories..  Investor category  IE you have money and you want to be an investor..  Or you have not a lot of money and you want in the industry ( RE sales  MLO PM etc) you know make money transaction-ally.

    For Transactional you for sure can see those with the it factor.. Every real Estate brokerage house will display this or Mortgage shop or car salesmen etc.. those are your top producers.. 1 out of 10 is generally the top dog

    As an investor not so much you just need a good job so you can actually qualify these days for non owner occ loans.. And some semblance of knowledge on owning and running rentals. You can be a zero personality wise it does not matter.  Since your going to engage other sales folks to bring you the deals and  take care of you long term  IE  PM etc etc.  PM to me needs to be more of a no BS tough as nails person given what they have to do and all the sob stories that tenants throw at them.

    Yes. Very different personality traits. That's why you don't find many people that score high in both categories. Probably easier for a top producing agent to become an investor than the other way around.

    But there is a strange penomenon: Out of 400 agents in my office there is just a hand full that have rentals (and 2 of them on my team) - and it would be so easy in Milwaukee. 


    One other Thought Marcus regarding agents not owning rentals.. Not sure about todays agents but when I had my brokerages.. Agents that did very well a lot of time also substantially upped their personal life game.. IE vehicles travel personal home  clothes Toys etc.. Lastly as all of us Truly self employed know its so much harder to get loans for investment props when your commish only I think thats one aspect as well at least starting out.. you can make 200k a year in commish compared to a W 2 person making 100k and the W 2 will have a much easier time getting loans.  I know for me its always been a challenge trying to get loans and that's why I have just stuck with my commercial banks all these years cost a little more but once they know you so much easier to navigate.

    Lastly on Agents the other biggee is most come from W 2 as their past income source so tax's were always taken out.. Once they get commish  no tax's taken out and they have a hard time paying quarterly estimates and come april 15th they have income tax shock LOL  My agents would start to hit me up for loans about April 1.. and this is what spawned the advance commish industry.. As the owner Broker we would get the demands from those lenders..
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.