• Software Engineer
  • Oakland, CA
Votes |
Venting about Measure Y

Account Closed
  • Software Engineer
  • Oakland, CA
Posted Oct 11 2018, 12:10

I am the owner occupier of a triplex in Oakland. I would like to renovate one of my units, redoing the electrical (because it's painfully out of date), and redo the plumbing in that portion of the house before it becomes a problem. Because I occupy the premises I am exempt from just cause ordinances (which I think is fair).

I gave my tenants 60 days notice, and have been working with an eviction attorney.
They tried to negotiate with me, they demanded $24,000 cash-for-keys (for a 1 bedroom). I told them I'd give them 2 months free rent and extend their move-out date by 30 days. They declined, so we filed for a court date on October 2nd.

The Oakland court's are legally required to give you a court date 20 days after filing, but they are overburdened and I likely won't get a date until end of November.

As you may know, if Measure Y passes in the upcoming Oakland election, it will strip me of this right as an owner-occupier. The new law will likely take effect on November 16th, and by the time I get the court I won't have this leg to stand on. I'll have to restart eviction proceedings, and will be out two months of rent.

I wish I'd started this process during the summer, but I was dealing with massive capex and could not afford to risk it (new roof and new windows because many where broken). Ugh!

Loading replies...