Votes |
Is adding A/C to a flip worth the cost?

Jesse Harris
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Northern Colorado
Posted Mar 12 2023, 09:04

Hey guys,

Finishing up a flip in Northern Colorado, and debating whether or not to install a condenser for A/C, roughly $5k in additional expenses. I'm wondering if I'll get that $5k invested back or more on the sale, or if it is not worth the effort? I would say this is a C+ neighborhood in Greeley, CO. 2 bedrooms are in the basement which are underground, with 3 bedrooms at ground level. Are you guys adding A/C to flips that don't currently have it, and are you seeing that it is worth the returns?

Does your answer change if you are going to keep it as a rental?

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 12 2023, 11:03

You have to look at comparables, if they did it then you need to do it. 

User Stats

Votes
Ben Rhodin
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Mar 13 2023, 07:59

Agree with @Eliott Elias above. Look at your competition, and try and find some that sold with it and some that sold without if you can. AC is definitely a benefit, and I would say most buyers are looking for some form of it in their house. In the end, though, it will depend on the market you are selling in. If there is no inventory and you are one of the few properties on the market and that is your only downside, buyers will be much more forgiving.

Vacasa logo
Vacasa
|
Sponsored
We do the work. You get the ROI. We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.