cost-effective basement solutions

cost-effective basement solutions

Member since 2023 · 56 posts · 7 votes
I made the rookie mistake of having a fellow rookie contractor who walked out on me. on our pre-purchase inspection he told me the basement height is above 7ft and can pass inspection but after purchasing the property i discovered it's below 6'8 and can't pass the D.C. inspection. I talked to several contractors and the options i found are; do a dig-out, lift the whole house, or ignore the basement and sell it as storage. Is there anything you guys can recommend please?
0Reply
29 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 847 posts · 656 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Alazar W.:
    I made the rookie mistake of having a fellow rookie contractor who walked out on me. on our pre-purchase inspection he told me the basement height is above 7ft and can pass inspection but after purchasing the property i discovered it's below 6'8 and can't pass the D.C. inspection. I talked to several contractors and the options i found are; do a dig-out, lift the whole house, or ignore the basement and sell it as storage. Is there anything you guys can recommend please?

     Realistically the cost of a dig out is likely to at best equal the value it adds.

  • Member since 2023 · 56 posts · 7 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jack Seiden:
    Quote from @Alazar W.:
    I made the rookie mistake of having a fellow rookie contractor who walked out on me. on our pre-purchase inspection he told me the basement height is above 7ft and can pass inspection but after purchasing the property i discovered it's below 6'8 and can't pass the D.C. inspection. I talked to several contractors and the options i found are; do a dig-out, lift the whole house, or ignore the basement and sell it as storage. Is there anything you guys can recommend please?

     Realistically the cost of a dig out is likely to at best equal the value it adds.


    Thank You. i will try to consider it from that angle
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.