Rehabbing & House Flipping

User Stats

Votes
Alazar Wubet
Votes |
cost-effective basement solutions

Alazar Wubet
Posted May 23 2023, 08:12
I made the rookie mistake of having a fellow rookie contractor who walked out on me. on our pre-purchase inspection he told me the basement height is above 7ft and can pass inspection but after purchasing the property i discovered it's below 6'8 and can't pass the D.C. inspection. I talked to several contractors and the options i found are; do a dig-out, lift the whole house, or ignore the basement and sell it as storage. Is there anything you guys can recommend please?

User Stats

Votes
Jack Seiden
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington DC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington DC
Replied May 23 2023, 09:11
Quote from @Alazar Wubet:
I made the rookie mistake of having a fellow rookie contractor who walked out on me. on our pre-purchase inspection he told me the basement height is above 7ft and can pass inspection but after purchasing the property i discovered it's below 6'8 and can't pass the D.C. inspection. I talked to several contractors and the options i found are; do a dig-out, lift the whole house, or ignore the basement and sell it as storage. Is there anything you guys can recommend please?

Realistically the cost of a dig out is likely to at best equal the value it adds.

• Real Estate Agent Virginia (#0225260957), District of Columbia (#Sp40001090), and Maryland (#667710)

• Samson Properties
Samson Properties  Logo

User Stats

Votes
Alazar Wubet
Votes |
Replied May 23 2023, 09:37
Quote from @Jack Seiden:
Quote from @Alazar Wubet:

Realistically the cost of a dig out is likely to at best equal the value it adds.

Thank You. i will try to consider it from that angle
BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.