Window in Shower. What would you do?

Window in Shower. What would you do?

Real Estate Broker · Burlington, NC · Member since 2013 · 95 posts · 52 votes

I have a foreclosure that I am seriously considering buying for a rental. My concern is the bathroom has a window in the shower.  I was planning on gutting the bathroom and doing a complete remodel.  I thought I could put in a glass block window during the remodel.  You can see from the pic that there is water damage around the window(wood frame with a vinyl replacement window) plus who knows where else. I don't have any houses with a window in the shower so I am asking for input for those who have experience with these.

Thanks!

16Reply
845 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2013 · 788 posts · 285 votes
12y

I replaced an old aluminum window with glass block. I had no prior experience and it went well. HD sells everything you need. I also replace the wood trim with composite trim. That was you don't get the rottting. 

See this reply in the discussion

127 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Shelley ClementsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Ardmore, OK · Member since 2020 · 43 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    I would put a fogged over glass block in  its place. 

    Elevate PM Audit and Consultation
    View Page
  • Johnston, SC · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    You could also get a shower curtain that covers the tub that hangs from the ceiling. Cheap alternative. It is what you would do with a clawfoot tub.

  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 2 votes
    6y

    I know this is an old thread but wanted to add in.    Having had a contractor install tile block windows in two showers - both of which have now failed with water in my walls.   Please pay attention to glass block windows installed in wet locations.   There are pre-made glass block windows intended for wet locations and there are those which are made for non-wet locations.   Make sure you know what you are installing or getting.

  • Port Richey, FL · Member since 2016 · 129 posts · 48 votes
    6y

    Remove the window. Block it in and stucco or side the exterior to match. I use caulk-less all in one tub/showers because they install easily, don't cost much, and look clean when done. Also the all in one is less expensive then tiling... 

  • David NilesBusiness Member
    Property Manager · DeLand FL · Member since 2012 · 860 posts · 243 votes
    6y

    I'm personally not a fan of glass block in showers, we use them for basement windows all the time though.  If you do use for shower, I would recommend using the silicone units not the grout.  We had a small bathroom that was going to be way too dark if we closed off the window, instead we built a custom frame out of pvc boards and had a friends glass company build me a thermopane glass panel that was frosted and tempered.  Turned out pretty good and no worry about rot.

  • Property Manager · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 35 votes
    6y

    I've been a property manager for over 20 years and all the units that have windows in the showers always develop dry rot issue in the wall; it's a problem waiting to happen. Whenever this happens we raise the window up outside of the shower and install a rectangular narrow window completely above the enclosure height and just below the ceiling so it lets in light and can be opened for ventilation to minimize mold issues. We never have to deal with it again. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish....windows don't belong in showers "period".

  • Title Representative · Denver, CO · Member since 2020 · 126 posts · 66 votes
    6y

    I removed the bathtub window during new siding, then tiled the whole wall inside.

  • Contractor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2018 · 51 posts · 42 votes
    5y

    I've had the same problem myself. Make sure you take the old window out and remediate any mold problems before doing anything. You can replace it with a good quality vinyl window if you don't want to change the look of the exterior. Lowes sells good privacy glass films that you can apply. Make sure to use a pvc foam trim and seal it like crazy with caulk. 

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    @William Allen no need to use film,  if you will order a new window it is a very small upcharge for getting frosted glass.  If you have a non-private window in your bathroom the spray frosting works well. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Bill Sargeson put in a new one, why remove it , ? I have many props with them .

  • Member since 2020 · 20 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    I have a similar window in my house. I live in the house and so what I did was put a heavy duty clear plastic shower curtain over the window. I trimmed the shower curtain to about 10 bigger than the window. Never had a problem with it since and it cost my just a few bucks. 

  • Randolph, NJ · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    If replacing the window make sure to check with local codes. Most that I know of require this window to have tempered glass because of its location for safety. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2017 · 257 posts · 215 votes
    5y
    I have a similar rental property and it has a glass block window in it. The light still comes in which is nice, but you can't see anything through it, which still gives privacy. I would do that before dry walling over it and closing off the light.
  • Real Estate Broker · Fuquay Varina, NC · Member since 2015 · 28 posts · 10 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Andrew Cordle:

    @Bill Sargeson

    Replacing the window with glass block window with a vent maybe the easiest option for you. Like the other guys stated above. 

    The other idea is to close off the window completely. I am not sure what your outside texture is some are easier than others. Such as Vinyl Siding or Hardiplank, of course brick is a lot more difficult to match. 

    So at the end of the day there is really only two options:

    1. Glassblock Window 

    2. Close it off and redo the outside

    Hope that helps.

    Andrew

    PS If you want to see a full bathroom rehab with the SKUs from HD for a glasblock window you can search a old forum post of mine titled:

    LOOK! Bathroom Rehab pics & SKUs! - Merriville, IN

     I'll second this as the two best actions.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2013 · 85 posts · 17 votes
    5y

    Transom window with tile surround.  A little pricey but looks great, gives natural light, and don't have to sacrifice privacy.

  • Realtor · Lubbock, TX · Member since 2016 · 165 posts · 155 votes
    5y

    Yikes! Experienced something similar with a property that had built-in wooden shelves in the shower with a light coat of paint over it. I would expect the worst and hope for the best -- the water has likely been seeping through that wood and into the wall for years, so budgeting for a whole gut job on there would be in your best interest.

    I can't tell if the window is opaque or not, but if replacing it and gutting/repairing the water damage are not both in your budget then at least take care of the damage and get that sorted out. Figure out a way to prevent water from pooling around the window, and apply an adhesive opaque film (you can find rolls on Amazon for $5-10 that work just fine) in order to maintain privacy for anyone using the shower.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y

    Raise the window up, and install a smaller sliding window. Being able to open it helps with humidity, and fresh air! Jeld Wen has this on Home Depots site, though I'd raise it higher. 

  • Patrick DruryBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    If you're trying to be cheap and don't have a lot of capital, I feel like just frosting the window or adding blinds/curtains would be a solid idea. Remodeling the shower and covering it with tile isn't a bad idea as long as it makes sense for the property so you don't over-improve and lose money. 

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Paia, HI · Member since 2016 · 479 posts · 311 votes
    5y

    we have a window in our steam shower that we installed for ventilation after steaming. All you need to do is thoroughly waterproof, install some sloping metal at the outer edge so any water that does linger on the sill doesn't rot it. 

    please, folks . . . glass blocks are DATED. and hard to clean

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    5y

    Glass blocks or frosted window works well.

  • Member since 2021 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    No issues with shower windows, in fact the window can be a benefit to excessive moisture and potentially mold. However I've noticed that rentals for 55+ age communities typically prefer easy to access shower (without the tub). I'm not sure if that's in your budget, but if that is your target renter you might want to consider that change at some point in the future. Good luck, 

  • Member since 2021 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    Newbie = someone who responds to a seven year old post. My mistake...

  • Investor · Oak Park, IL · Member since 2014 · 307 posts · 150 votes
    5y

    One thing to keep in mind about windows in or near showers is they are often required by code to be tempered for safety reasons.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Those type of windows are not too uncommon in older houses.  Water obviously rots out the trimwork.

    If you are going to do a full remodel, then a glass block window with a vent might be nice.  And recess portion should have tile and proper tile underlayment.  It must be adequately sloped so no water collects.  It must be completely grouted and caulked with silicone in the necessary places;  in other words, water proof.

  • Rental Property Investor · Carthage, NY · Member since 2019 · 72 posts · 47 votes
    5y

    Simply a quality sticky paper. $20, done. 

    Did this in one: 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.