Bathtubs issue/ repaint? bath fitters?

32 Replies

Sounds like bath fitters is too expensive and Do It Yourself too Messy.  Is there a Plastic surround to the tub or Tiled walls aepid that rub?

I knew someone that when he had a tile surround and had a tub problem he would have 2 rows of tile removed and then have the tub removed and replaced with a new tub and then replace the 3 rows of tile. The tub itself is inexpensive

Originally posted by @Nick Lee :

I did a renovation on my first rental and the tub was in a bad way. We ended up getting a re spray that came with a guarantee. It cost about $250. With a new floor down and  the shinny new bath tub it looks like the whole room has been done. Worth every penny. We did it in our second one as well.

Hey Nick,

Interesting.  Do have the name of the spray? Did you have to hire someone to do the work? 

Originally posted by @Adam Anderson :

I used a franchise company called "Mr Ugly" to refinish a cast iron/ porcelain tub last year.  it was brown and they refinished it white.  There are several do it yourself kits but its pretty nasty stuff to work with and I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself. The tech wore a full body suite and respirator and it took 2-3 days for the fumes to dissipate when he was done.  They also refinish fiberglass tubs and kitchen counters. You might want to look up the local franchise before you replace just to compare the cost.  If its  within a couple hundred $ I would just replace it. 

Good luck

Adam

Great information. Thanks for feedback. 

Originally posted by @Barbara G. :

Sounds like bath fitters is too expensive and Do It Yourself too Messy.  Is there a Plastic surround to the tub or Tiled walls aepid that rub?

I knew someone that when he had a tile surround and had a tub problem he would have 2 rows of tile removed and then have the tub removed and replaced with a new tub and then replace the 3 rows of tile. The tub itself is in

Thanks Barbara, There's always a way around it... Still weighing my options .. I have fiberglass

Originally posted by @Kathryn Dillon:

I've done both resurfacing/reglazing & replacing a bath tub.  The resurfacing started to peel up in my primary residence after a year or so. I just had that one resurfaced while moving out and preparing it as a rental.  If I didn't get that done for free I probably would've just replaced the tub.  Resurfacing costs around $300-$400 per tub and it can start peeling up if not done properly or if your tenants use cleaners like Comet on it.  We use Mica Magic at work for this purpose and they do offer a 5 year warranty so at least there's that.

We just replaced a tub in our a new house and my husband was able to do it himself.  Bath Fitter I believe has a lifetime warranty but it's incredibly pricey.  Good luck with whichever method you choose!

Thanks for your input Kathryn. 

We re-glazed a tub and it held up for 10 years until Comet started to be used.  If you are very careful about instructing tenants on which products to use for cleaning, tub re-glazing is a great option!   

I have done the professional spray on the tub and tiles and looks great and has worked well and held up. although it has only been about 2 years.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here