My first flip and looking for a place to buy windows

My first flip and looking for a place to buy windows

Weymouth, MA · Member since 2014 · 16 posts · 2 votes

hi, I just got my first flip and I need 20 windows. I live just south of Boston and we have Home Depot, lowes, or should I go to a place that makes them. I looking for cheap but with some quality to them.  I'm open to any suggestions, even if it's not about Windows. Thanks

0Reply
72 views

Most Popular Reply

Boston, MA · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 2 votes
10y

Harvey Building Products make solid, energy efficient windows among other things.  And they make more than just vinyl windows.  Check out www.harveybp.com.  If you like what you see online enough to go further, then go to their Burlington MA showroom, which is about 40 mins drive from Foxboro.   The people there are very helpful & you don't get the hard sell.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Cambridge, MA · Member since 2013 · 264 posts · 104 votes
    10y

    @Robert Anderson last name is Anderson and you have a window question.... sorry couldn't help myself!  

    My last project I used Home Depot - competitive pricing - had them in stock - but certainly it depends the price point of your flip - Over that 500,000 K Price range you may have to step up a notch - if you go window specialty stores get many quotes - a lot of guys will price match their competitors.     Good luck

  • Rental Property Investor · Lake Forest Park, WA · Member since 2015 · 127 posts · 57 votes
    10y
    Hey Robert, congrats on acquiring your first property! So I just use Home Depot as they carry Jeld Wen around here which is a pretty reputable manufacturer. They also have different "levels" of windows. I have gone with the cheaper ones for my rentals. They are still a great upgrade over single pane. The next step up isn't much more expensive either. The biggest obstacle would be if you need non-standard window sizes. These could be back ordered many weeks if they need to be custom made. Check your sizes and quantities and make sure they stock them so you don't end up holding up your job waiting on windows. Best of luck!
  • Tega Cay, SC · Member since 2014 · 213 posts · 74 votes
    10y

    @Robert Anderson Try looking up a local building supply center (Stock bld supply, builders first source).  They can give you different options for you project and they can do the takeoff to make suer the order is placed correctly, but usually takes 1-2 weeks for the windows to be delivered.  Lowes and Home Depot usually cost more, but they have most standard sizes in for homes in your area in stock.

  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    I've personally seen the best prices at Lowes. Since it's a big box retailer they will guarantee their work. (assuming you want them to install)

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    10y

    Builders First Source and 84 Lumber in my area beat the big boxes on price.

  • Needham, MA · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    10y
    Hi Robert, I supply building materials (including Windows and doors) and can help you out. I can meet you on site and can walk you through your options. I cannot post my contact information here, how can I get in touch with you? Marty
  • Boston, MA · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 2 votes
    10y

    Harvey Building Products make solid, energy efficient windows among other things.  And they make more than just vinyl windows.  Check out www.harveybp.com.  If you like what you see online enough to go further, then go to their Burlington MA showroom, which is about 40 mins drive from Foxboro.   The people there are very helpful & you don't get the hard sell.

  • Developer · Boston, MA · Member since 2014 · 88 posts · 56 votes
    10y

    1st choice would be National Lumber, JB Sash in Chelsea for higher end, and Home Depot if you want something cheap. 

    I would recommend checking out Jeld Wen v2500 builders series windows. Solid mid range but relatively inexpensive windows. I get them for about $200-260/window.

    IMHO, stay away from American Craftsmen. They are cheap, cheap and you definitely get what you pay for. 

  • Investor · Burlington, VT · Member since 2016 · 110 posts · 59 votes
    10y

    i am in burlington , but vermont :) i was going  to mention harvey as well , i like the quality better than the home depot for basically same price . home depot basic  is not bad for entry level flip or rental .

  • Lender · Haverhill, MA · Member since 2016 · 60 posts · 21 votes
    10y

    You can see if there are any restore - habitat for humanity building supply stores in the area, you might get lucky and pick up a handful of some decent ones for cheap, and buy the rest at retail at home depot.

  • Lender · Haverhill, MA · Member since 2016 · 60 posts · 21 votes
    10y

    Also check craigslist for materials, often times you'll get lucky

  • Investor · South Burlington, VT · Member since 2015 · 76 posts · 38 votes
    10y

    Harvey's is also just 10 min east of burlington vt, out of williston. They are very compeditive in pricing in our area as well as have great customer service.

  • Lender · NY/FL · Member since 2013 · 240 posts · 44 votes
    10y

    I purchased dual hung Anderson vinyl windows from Home Depot at about $150 per window, they were replacement windows and easy to install once you get the hang of it. There are tons of videos on youtube showing how to install. 

    This was a huge savings for me, all window places in the area including Home Depot charged $400 per window installed. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.