Permits and inspections

Permits and inspections

Brainerd, MN · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 2 votes
Some facts first Just bought a 6plex apartment complex Ordered 23 new windows and planned to install ourselves with some help from friends Went to local landlord meeting and met other landlords and fire marshal, building inspector, and other city officials. In meeting talked about Windows and found out we needed a permit. Was told at meeting we could install any Windows we wanted. Before meeting sounded like most people avoid getting a permit due to the nightmare they cause and risk the fine. After meeting felt like there was no way we could attempt to play the we didn't know card and installing 23 Windows is not an easy task to hide. So we went to city hall to get permit. First discovered we had to be registered with the EPA $300. 2nd one person needed to be lead certified. Full day class $200. Third permit cost $120. 4th now we need to schedule inspection. Permit is granted. It's Friday and Windows are in. I call to schedule inspection on Saturday. We want to get started. They don't do inspections on Saturday. Explain we want to get started. We explain we are trying to keep as much in tact and pop out and insert in the new window. Laurie says sounds like pocket Windows . Get the go ahead to start and inspector will be out Monday at 1:30. We work all day Saturday and Sunday and get all Windows in. Look great from outside just need to finish inside. This is an old stucco building. Outside trim is stuck in stucco. Monday - inspector comes and is rude from the get go. Writes us up says Windows not installed correctly. Need flashing per manufacturers instructions. We call manufacturer and explain what we did. Did not want to disturb outside trim. Jim from the manufacturer says it sounded like we installed Windows adequately and he would be willing to talk to inspector. Call inspector and tell him this but he says we need it in writing and he doesn't have time to call or talk to manufacturer. Says we have to have it in writing. Manufacturer doesn't want to put it in writing Now what???
0Reply
92 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Maryville, TN · Member since 2009 · 529 posts · 414 votes
9y

Screw this! have a friend appoint himself authorized representative of the manufacturing company and write a letter with their logo, that states the procedural  installation methods followed were satisfactory and validate the warranty of the windows, and that he is the "local rep" and can call if needed(his phone # provided) What the hell else are you supposed to do except fight ******** with ********. And these f@ckers wonder why people are permit averse.

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Maryville, TN · Member since 2009 · 529 posts · 414 votes
    9y

    @Patrick Liska I have definitely had both good and bad experiences with inspectors but I cannot help but notice the trend, toward deteriorating attitudes coming from building departments, maybe your state is just more reasonable? 

  • Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    In Austin, Texas one has to pull permits for most things. I flip houses here, am a GC and I am a broker here too. I also manage investment properties for other folks and for myself. I am going through issues with the permit department here too but its due to the subcontractors not doing the work properly. For example the hvac people put the outside unit in an easement on this recent project. Failure. I had the contractor come back and make it right.  The electricians weren't pleased about it because they had to move the electrical conduit lines but they should have caught it too. So we have two different contractors that are professionals and should know code very well since their livelihood depends upon it failed. That is their problem. They should have known better. Most code is put into place for a reason and its usually because something bad happened. 

    If it was me in your situation I would reach out the inspector and ask him what is the best way to remedy the situation given the circumstances. Or have a structural engineer or an architect go out there and say that there is nothing wrong with how you put in the window and that its plum, sealed tight and water proof and write that in their professional opinion that its okay. 

    It could be a blessing though. What if you were to rent out the property and the tenants do not report any water leakage until wood rot occurs and mold is out of control? Now you are dealing with a whole new can of worms such as mold, legal liability, insurance, vacancy, wood rot, etc. The legal liability alone is enough to make me think twice about the situation. 

    My two cents.

    Good luck! Keep us posted

  • Rental Property Investor · Maryville, TN · Member since 2009 · 529 posts · 414 votes
    9y

    @Aaron Gordy

    When did Austin adopt permitting ? When I was there it was only a suggestion and there were no inspectors

  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Will Grabert People in government positions think of everything, it is common, they are protecting their constituents, and you are only thinking about people who think and act at your level of thinking. What about those who do not? People who do not have anything to lose and scam people to buy a $20 meth. I have seen all levels of clients, sad to say, inspectors also profile contractors, when I was doing small 2-10k projects, inspectors (remember this is CA) used to question more, but if you answer them right, they will easily ease up, when you graduate to 50-300k projects, inspector will come and sign documents with only 5-15 mins on site; I have a copy of the inspection card and I will ready everything on the list, simply point say "this is the typical" and move to the next. I agree to half of your points but I am more comfortable having strict rules vs that of none, it weeds out all my cheap competitors.
  • Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @will grabert I am not sure when they started but the permit process has been a thorn in every developler's and contractor's side that I know for a very long time..maybe like 20+ years.  I have no idea. I have been in real estate since 1998.  

  • Canyon Lake, TX · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    @Manolo D.. I'm a certified ICC (formerly ICBO) building inspector, plumbing, HVAC, electrical, permit technician and plans examiner. I am internationally certified. I can assure you there are REAL contractors in Texas. Making a general statement like that is ludicrous. The qualifications vary from city to city. That being said, when I lived for the longest 5 years of my life in California, there were a zillion contractors who had nothing that resembled either a license nor the experience that would need to accompany it. I'm sorry you live in the most regulated state in the union and not just construction. 

  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Candy Marshall REAL contractors for commercial, industrial, public works, yes, I believe that is true in all states. Investor types, or those who do sub 2 week works for residential, 90% don't have a GC license.
  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Candy Marshall I don't mind living within regulations, in fact, I prefer it. Regulations makes my business more easier, being a civil engineer experienced in roads and bridges as well as concrete buildings for government entities, I eat those before I eat breakfast, so far it has been working for me.
  • Hayward, CA · Member since 2009 · 258 posts · 62 votes
    9y
    Here what you do, go to the window manufacturer site. Print out the manual or instructions. All window company do. Reschedule for inspection. If he fails you show him the print out. If that don't work then ask. What am doing wrong and ask politely what he recommends. If that don't work call supervisor and ask for inspection by the senior. Seniors inspector are mire likely to explain. Good luck
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.